UNKNOWN FERRULE-Tip wont stay on

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Import cue, plastic/unknown ferrule
I use gel super glue and ALWAYS WORKS WELL FOR ME...
NOT WITH THIS FERRULE-
should I try 5 minute epoxy,
or is there a glue-primer ???????
something to assure the tip will stay on?
thanks

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Import cue, plastic/unknown ferrule
I use gel super glue and ALWAYS WORKS WELL FOR ME...
NOT WITH THIS FERRULE-
should I try 5 minute epoxy,
or is there a glue-primer ???????
something to assure the tip will stay on?
thanks

Talk to the customer. Change the ferrule and be done with it.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are some plastics used on Asian cues that just don't take the glues that we commonly use. Obviously they can be stuck with SOME kind of glue because the original tips stay on, but I've yet to hear anyone here identify that sticky substance.
I would agree with Michael, talk to your customer and change out both the ferrule and the tip.
My 2 cents,
Gary

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This is the same advice I have.

yes.....its not your not the tip....these scenarios when you have faced off and bla bla bla bla bla......its the ferrule.

Oh ALSO

alot dont know this but no glues really stick to tightbond and the wood glues like that worth a dam!

if you can get tightbond mostly off then damp the surface for a bit ,then it adheres to itself ok....

epoxy doesn't really stick to it well, neither do other glues.....CA works best but it is weak too.

5min epoxy sucks for tip installs.....i use contact cement before i use that crap on a tip......didn't even stick to the wrap on a cue i got that was globbed all over it and never turned down. was able to take it off the wrap without damaging the wrap.....sooo that al li gotta say about that.

also you can run into issues if your lathe isn't set up proper on the gibs and such, if its got a little twist on the carriage, and say your facing off a really hard phenolic or if you have lot of backlash and such, the tool could be loose, or it didn't press evenly when gluing.....the tool can cut the side walls then dive back in pretty easily when it hits the maple if things are loose etc.....thats why when you see a guy doing tips by hand with no tools and the ferrules end up with round shoulders as they can keep the tool flat so they are always catching edge first.

also good idea to do depending on tip type, can scratch tip bottom coat with thin ca, dry, rescratch and now glue again and install, helps seep ino the bottom fibers and CA bonds very very well to itself.

food for thought
happy fouth:cool:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Loctite primer 770 primer that I have used with success with the super glues. The other glue I have had success is 3m DP190Grey. Some customers don't want the ferrule changed.
Neil.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 770 primer option work really well. I have used it on different materials that don`t usually take glue well.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Players cues are the worst, the ferrule cuts like PVC............. I just change the ferrule then put on a tip.....

Kim

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I've mentioned this primer before. It's the nuts. You can even bond Teflon with it, believe it or not.