Worst Tables Ever

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got reminded of really bad table conditions that I've played for league ,so i wanted to give some examples of actual league or tournament play on some of the worst conditions I've ever encountered. Some were the tables, while others were just the conditions themselves. Here are some random thoughts.

Four 7' bar tables setup in an upstairs hallway of an off-track betting site in CT. The cloth was worn, but overall, the bed of the tables were in good condition. However, because of the constant moving around, the leveling legs were all bent... so much so that one table they just removed the leveling legs, making it about 4" shorter. And another table, all four legs were grotesquely bent that they just bent them farther so that each leveling disk was actually on it's side. That is, the threaded rod was bent at a 90 degree angle, so the round disks were upright, not flat. That made this table a few inches too tall. Not great for the back

Probably like many others across the country, I've played in a nightclub that moves the tables pretty much daily. The club would actually stand the tables upright the long way, against the wall. Not sure how nobody dies with that setup. They'd bring them down for league. Leveling was not an option.

Okay, I can't remember how the tables played, but playing APA league in a strip club in Dayton, OH area... well there were a few memories. 'Nuff said.

In the late 80's, my first or second year playing league pool, I played at a dive bar that had the 7' bar table in a pocket of a room with about four feet max for one short side and one long side. The other side had about two feet. This was a table we had to play league. Have fun trying to "adjust" to that. Almost every shot was with the house short cue. Hey, everyone has to play the same equipment, right??? BS.

Also in MA, I played at two different bars that had 9' bar tables.. sort of. One was a Valley 9', with the big ball; the other was a locally made 9' furniture table with a coin op mechanism. Also with the big ball. Neither of these tables were kept in great condition, so add the big ball and 9' length, and... yeah. Fun.

A pool hall in Springfield had all black cloth...

I played league where they used an 8' American Snooker table. Surprise.

And all those tables paled in comparison to the tables at the Leucadian Bar in Encinitas, CA. All 8' bar tables, so that's a plus. But they've got the twisted roll, and all the cushions are different. Can't level them because they're actually sitting on their legs ,not connected. Again, how nobody dies in this setup is a miracle.

Can a player adjust? Sure. But not in four games (and even it is by four games, they've already lost half if not all). And I don't think anyone can adjust to Table #2 at the Leucadian. I haven't seen it yet.

Freddie <~~~ maladjusted

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, those are some crazy tables. APA in a strip club?? That's wild. I would have guessed OH or FL for the state that played league in a strip club and I would've been right.

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played...

...on a table where the cloth was a flowered bed sheet.

...in a tournament where the spectators were so close you had to ask them to lean sideways so you could get the butt of your cue between them.

...on a table where you actually made balls in buckets--the pockets were broken, and the balls fell in buckets under them.

...in a room with lard buckets for spittoons, and where sawdust was sprinkled on an oiled hard wood floor.

...in another room where sometimes one of the owners would ride his motorcycle into the room and park it.

Come on down to Appalachia where pool ain't like it is anywhere else....

Last edited:

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst Crap Ever

Played in numerous APA regionals for Vegas trips over the years. Two stellar events fit well here. Both were in upstate NY.

One operator used to have four tables wheeled in the morning of the event leaving it to the players to use coasters to level them. A ball rolling slowly down the long rail would actually fall in the side pocket. The cloth was like playing on 20 grit sandpaper...lol.

The second was on tables that had black cloth with fluorescent balls. In the center of the tables were these huge Budweiser logos in bright colors matching the balls. Actually left balls on table that were hidden in these camouflaged areas. Could get cue ball to bounce side to side at least 11 times! What a challenge... had to try to play position without hitting a rail, or one at most.

Amazing to believe you would play all year for eligibility then have to play on this crap for Vegas. Oh yeah, remember when we played on Diamonds in Vegas too. And now the crap extends there as well.

GeoEnvi

Diamond System Enthusiast
Silver Member
And all those tables paled in comparison to the tables at the Leucadian Bar in Encinitas, CA. All 8' bar tables, so that's a plus. But they've got the twisted roll, and all the cushions are different. Can't level them because they're actually sitting on their legs ,not connected. Again, how nobody dies in this setup is a miracle.

Ever play at the Tilted Stick in OB? Thick felt, balls grimy with salt air and condensation, chalk moist like kitty litter.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the mid 80s I play BCA on a 22 team travel league in SE Texas.
The only requirement to host a league night in your bar was 2 Simonis covered bar tables; table conditions or age of cloth wasn't.
Many of the bars had wood floors and we tried getting there early enough to level or learn the leans. Obstacles were always as challenge, that's were I learned that safety's aren't always on the table....make him shoot with the short cue off the jukebox lol.
Home field advantage was sometimes a huge understatement; those were fun times and hugely competitive.
We had a minimum of 4 teams sponsored to the Vegas nationals per year and the field was always nearly 1000 teams strong.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I learned that safety's aren't always on the table....make him shoot with the short cue off the jukebox lol.
Love it!

I played in a bar in the woods of Massachusetts (Shutesbury), where the wood burning stove is where the breaker stands. When that baby is blazing some oak, you have to get "out of the kitchen" mighty quickly, else your ass be on fire.

Freddie <~~~ bring on the Ove' Gloves

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
First thing that I do not understand is why a team would choose to play league at a place where you need short cues or the table is terrible. That is choice that someone actually makes, I guess there are things in life I will never understand.

In 6 short years playing so far 1 table was on a floor that had about 4" of pitch, the table was level but it was weird to play on a table too low on one side and too high on the other.

Duct tape holding felt down in 1 corner so that there was a curb at the edge of the slate, seen a number off balls roll up to the curb and stop just short of falling.

Another with felt incredibly worn and large tears where one would break if second ball breaking on both sides of table, big enough that if a ball rolled over those areas with speed it would launch off of table.

Table with a very close wall on long side of table and the bathroom doors on the other long rail. I made a custom shorty cue to play there.

Just this last Monday we were playing league at a place where the roof leaks, usually they just let the water run on the Diamond bar boxes but they have been covering them lately. Anyway Im about to pull the trigger on a shot and a dollar bill size of rust falls onto the table and breaks apart as well as some water it was holding up.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing that I do not understand is why a team would choose to play league at a place where you need short cues or the table is terrible. That is choice that someone actually makes, I guess there are things in life I will never understand.

Teams in all location don't have the luxury of picking or choosing where they play; only if they want to play at all.

The first time I picked up a cue was in a Marine Corps barracks while in Okinawa Japan... It is very hard to find something in worse shape than that poor mistreated table; however, sometimes it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
use to be a bar called Cowboy here in St. Petersburg in the 80's had 2 bar boxes, the one in the front had a cracked frame in the head left corner, anything you even rolled close to it was sucked in like a vacuum :eek:uttahere:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep 4 games is tough! Dial in a horrible table and multiple rolls in just 32 shots plus the trouble of emotions of hating it makes matters worse lol

jamnut

Underwater Tiger
Silver Member
o-POOL-TABLE-570.jpg

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Played in a bar called the Swamp. In the winter there's a coal stove in the corner near the restrooms. The table is cool on the foot end... HOT on the opposite end.

In the spring the water would rise to the point they had wood shipping skids up to the door like a dock. Cars didn't park in the lot where the ducks swam, but parked in the road. The whole building looks like it's floating. Inside the bar, on the same corner where the coal stove is, water lays on the floor 1/2" deep.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ever play at the Tilted Stick in OB? Thick felt, balls grimy with salt air and condensation, chalk moist like kitty litter.

I'll have to go and check it out!

And surely more players have examples of the worst tables they've played actually league or tournaments that they can share.

dnbnt

Just a little "stituos"
Silver Member
Freddy, wish I could remember name/city but it was right near you. Del Mar/Carlsbad area. Little hole in the wall beach bar with a table in a semi enclosed room on the Oceanside of bldg. First break and I saw water coming off the cue ball on the way to the rack.
Just recently my wife and I stopped in a place I drive by on the way to work daily that had a shelti (sp?) that wasn't the worst I've seen or played on, but the balls were so dirty/dusty I could've sworn they'd been rolled around out in the gravel parking lot. I mean I needed to wash my hands after racking before I was gonna touch my cue with the grit from my hands.

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a bar in the woods of Massachusetts (Shutesbury), where the wood burning stove is where the breaker stands. When that baby is blazing some oak, you have to get "out of the kitchen" mighty quickly, else your ass be on fire.

It's still there, I'm playing tonight - I'll try to remember to get a picture. We break from the other end now, and the table is a little further from the stove (but not much.)

Used to be you got to step over/around the occasional hound, but now no dogs allowed.:frown:
On the plus side, since the smoking ban you can see clear across the room!

There's still a bar in the leage w/a table with evil black cloth. And black chalk. Ack. (The Os.) Alberti's (now "Main St.") closed the back room, 3 crowded tables up front.

PS Lou died 3-4 years ago.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to play on a 9 footer once that had big pockets! My opponent made a couple of balls that tickled the rail on the way in! Can you believe this? Oh the horror.

Oh and another time I had to play on some Simonis that hadn't been changed out in at least a year. There were burn marks on at least 5 percent of the table.

I can't take it anymore so I just stay home.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1984/5, I played in a Miller Lite World Series of Pool qualifier in Akron, Ohio. The night before, a rival biker gang came in, a fight broke out leaving a pool of blood on the table. Have you ever tried to draw a cue ball through semi-dried blood?

I did qualify and finally made it to Las Vegas

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's still there, I'm playing tonight - I'll try to remember to get a picture. We break from the other end now, and the table is a little further from the stove (but not much.)

Used to be you got to step over/around the occasional hound, but now no dogs allowed.:frown:
On the plus side, since the smoking ban you can see clear across the room!

There's still a bar in the leage w/a table with evil black cloth. And black chalk. Ack. (The Os.) Alberti's (now "Main St.") closed the back room, 3 crowded tables up front.

PS Lou died 3-4 years ago.
I played against and with Lou for years and years. I heard only recently that he passed.

And I played out of Alberti's for 10 years, before my friend Rick R sold it to Tom.

Across from the 7 O's used to be Bob (Lisciotti) Billiards, my first "home pool room." First time I met Dennis Dieckman was in this room. 1988 or so.