Anyone watched Dr Dave & Bob Jewet 9 & 10 ball series?

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VENT (I believe Video Encyclopedia of 9 & 10 ball), is now on YouTube. It appears to be absolutely comprehensive. Wow. If it is what it appears to be, this is by far the most comprehensive undertaking about pool genre. Only thing missing is rotation. But, that would probably take as much time as the other two combined. I plan to start the 1st disc today.

Let us know about your experience if you watch any. Include if you get them all, a few and what order you watch them.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VENT (I believe Video Encyclopedia of 9 & 10 ball), is now on YouTube. It appears to be absolutely comprehensive. Wow. If it is what it appears to be, this is by far the most comprehensive undertaking about pool genre. Only thing missing is rotation. But, that would probably take as much time as the other two combined. I plan to start the 1st disc today.

Let us know about your experience if you watch any. Include if you get them all, a few and what order you watch them.

Just finished watching disc 1 "Breaking." And I can see room owners all over the world cursing Dr Dave and Bob. And I couldn't help but to chuckle when I saw how they created their own rack templet. It appears to be a great way to go, but when knot-heads start doing this on other people's equipment, owners are going to get mad.

The topics are covered in the style of all Dr Dave's other videos. They show plenty of repetition to show that they can replicate the info. But, it appears that the cloth is new. I think older cloth and worn balls create difficulty to replicate the consistency of the break shot. A point that they mention.

The info that is provided is very informative and comprehensive. Although there is more detailed info out from some sections, they cover the most relavent topics. For instance, dealing with Gaps. They did make notice that more info is out with Joe Tucker and Charly Bond.

Overall, it's the most information on breaking 9 or 10 ball that I've seen. Most of the info is out there, but not in one place. Also, they show some new things that I haven't seen before like differences in top spin and bottom spin on certain breaks. Certain angles that balls follow depending angle of cue ball hit. I think SVB talked briefly about this in 10 ball, but they give more detail. Also they illustrate the different breaks well, compared to other videos on the subject. Hoever, I was hoping that they may touch on the BreakRak. Still this video gives more important breaking info for the dollar (19.95) than any other video that I've seen on the subject.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the review.

... But, it appears that the cloth is new. I think older cloth and worn balls create difficulty to replicate the consistency of the break shot. ...

One thing that you could try (with the room owner's permission, if needed) is to train the table at the head end. Usually you don't have so many craters there.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just finished watching disc 1 "Breaking." And I can see room owners all over the world cursing Dr Dave and Bob. And I couldn't help but to chuckle when I saw how they created their own rack templet. It appears to be a great way to go, but when knot-heads start doing this on other people's equipment, owners are going to get mad.

The topics are covered in the style of all Dr Dave's other videos. They show plenty of repetition to show that they can replicate the info. But, it appears that the cloth is new. I think older cloth and worn balls create difficulty to replicate the consistency of the break shot. A point that they mention.

The info that is provided is very informative and comprehensive. Although there is more detailed info out from some sections, they cover the most relavent topics. For instance, dealing with Gaps. They did make notice that more info is out with Joe Tucker and Charly Bond.

Overall, it's the most information on breaking 9 or 10 ball that I've seen. Most of the info is out there, but not in one place. Also, they show some new things that I haven't seen before like differences in top spin and bottom spin on certain breaks. Certain angles that balls follow depending angle of cue ball hit. I think SVB talked briefly about this in 10 ball, but they give more detail. Also they illustrate the different breaks well, compared to other videos on the subject. Hoever, I was hoping that they may touch on the BreakRak. Still this video gives more important breaking info for the dollar (19.95) than any other video that I've seen on the subject.
Thank you for posting a review of the first VENT disc. If you watch any of the other discs, please let us know what you think about them also. And if anybody else watches any of the VENT online streams or DVDs (when they come out), please share your honest feedback and options. Bob and I feel we have done a good job with VENT, but it is nice to hear what impartial viewers think.

Concerning table training, we thought that might be a little controversial to some people. I will be posting part of the table-train section as a video excerpt, so people will be able to see what your are talking about for free. I personally wish every table installer would train a table after any new-cloth install. I would also be nice if room operators did this whenever they change the table cloths (if the installer doesn't do it for them). I would certainly recommend that anybody with a table at home train it. It is not that difficult, and it results in a good and fast rack every time without the need for a racking triangle or a racking template. Again, I will post the excerpt soon for those interested.

Thanks again,
Dave