"It's George" (trivia)

S

Scottster

Who knows the significance of this catch phrase within the pool circle community?

Hint.... "Form of communication." no, I am not referring to the pool cases BTW.

Will post answer later.

Happy Holidays

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Scottster said:
Who knows the significance of this catch phrase within the pool circle community?

Will post answer later.

Happy Holidays

It's "GOOD"....?if memory serves correct:)

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
As opposed to "It's Tom" which means the cue goes to the round file...;)

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I first heard that phrase used in the 70's. It was used by a action partner of mine to indicate that he was in control of the game without having to show more speed. I've also heard "It's George" to mean "I'm winning" back when head to head pool battles were played mostly by the game.

Martin

Scottster said:

Will post answer later.

Happy Holidays

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scottster said:

Will post answer later.

Happy Holidays

You're not refering to the pool case company, which took it's name from the catch phrase in the Louisiana pool playing community?

It's George is opposite of It's Tom.

Fred <~~~ wrote about it.

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
???????????

If you are hip George & Tom are money makers an you don't have to say
anything.

S

Scottster

ribdoner said:
It's "GOOD"....?if memory serves correct:)

Yup! thats it.

It's George = Good

It's Tom = No good

For Example...If a friend was matched up with someone he's not familiar with, whose game I knew very well, and I felt my friend had the best of it I would say, "Have you seen George?'

If he had the worst of it I would say, "Have you seen Tom?"

This "code" is still used today however it is used for describing something else that is "George", rather than pool action between some buddy's of mine.

THanks for the replies,

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scottster said:
Yup! thats it.

It's George = Good

It's Tom = No good

For Example...If a friend was matched up with someone he's not familiar with, whose game I knew very well, and I felt my friend had the best of it I would say, "Have you seen George?'

If he had the worst of it I would say, "Have you seen Tom?"

This "code" is still used today however it is used for describing something else that is "George", rather than pool action between some buddy's of mine.

THanks for the replies,

Happy Thanksgiving all.
And in case you missed it, the It's George case and cue company got it's name from the saying. When Mike Roberts showed his first case to Bill Schick, Bill said, "it's George!"

Fred

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's George = of higest quality

Scottster said:

Will post answer later.

Happy Holidays

refering to an object - the implication being, as it was explained to me
by someone, older and wiser, and claiming to know,
because Balabushka's first name was George

in those days, pool was very much a first-name culture

Dale Pierce

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Balabushka?

pdcue said:
refering to an object - the implication being, as it was explained to me
by someone, older and wiser, and claiming to know,
because Balabushka's first name was George

in those days, pool was very much a first-name culture

Dale Pierce

The term pre-dated George Balabushka. It goes back to the be-bop, hep-cat's musicians culture of the '40s, and denoted something of good quality. The term "Tom" was a creation of the hustler's culture. Where "Tom" derived from I dont know. I would be interested to find out.

the Beard

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
The term pre-dated George Balabushka. It goes back to the be-bop, hep-cat's musicians culture of the '40s, and denoted something of good quality. The term "Tom" was a creation of the hustler's culture. Where "Tom" derived from I dont know. I would be interested to find out.

the Beard
Maybe Tom came from musicians also. A tom is a drum, something that gets beat. Just a guess.

Tracy

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Tommy Tucker

RSB-Refugee said:
Maybe Tom came from musicians also. A tom is a drum, something that gets beat. Just a guess.

Tracy

My memory is opening up slightly. I now remember who "Tom" was. "Tom" was short for "Tommy Tucker." That came from an old poem, "Tommy Tucker was a no-good motherf..ker!" That would be the final trivia question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

the Beard

The GosPool is in the hands of the printer. I will have copies in about a week.
Dont get shut out.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In and out Hand SIgns???

Now, who remembers the hand signs for, "I'M IN" and "I'M OUT"????? They could be used from across a room with no need to speak to anyone.

Also, the term, It's Jake, meant the same thing as It's George.

Last edited:

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hemicudas

Thats what I was talking about Hemicudas is in the know. You can never
say a word an use George or Tom to make money an don't think this is still not used today.

Pinocchio

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are and have been the SIGNS forever

Pinocchio said:
Thats what I was talking about Hemicudas is in the know. You can never
say a word an use George or Tom to make money an don't think this is still not used today.

Pinocchio

These are the signs, then and now with their meanings. There can be more meanings but the signs are the same. And,,,,,,,,,,,NO,,,,,,,,,,,,, I no longer use them. Photos have been corrected. Thanks again, Freddy.

Last edited:
S

Scottster

Interesting Bill. Amongst my buddies, covering the heart is George, and brushing the shoulder off is Tom.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Bill you got em backwards!

hemicudas said:
These are the signs, then and now with their meanings. There can be more meanings but the signs are the same. And,,,,,,,,,,,NO,,,,,,,,,,,,, I no longer use them.

Are you getting old and senile like me, Bill?
You have the hand signs backwards. Open hand on chest is George and good. Closed fist on chest is bad and Tom.

Now I've done it. I have snitched off secret hustler signals that I swore I never would reveal to non-union members. There are a few more and under torture I aint coming with 'em.

the Beard

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
OK, just one more secret....

Scottster said:
Interesting Bill. Amongst my buddies, covering the heart is George, and brushing the shoulder off is Tom.

Actually, brushing the shoulder off is an offshoot of Tom, but it really means to (a.) Quit. The game is no good --too much or not enough spot. or (b.) Danger, lets get out of this place -- now!

Next you guys will be asking about the Hillbilly Code.

the Beard