AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Problems replacing felt w/ glue

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Problems replacing felt w/ glue
Old
  (#1)
mayamon
Struggling pool shark
mayamon is a jewel in the roughmayamon is a jewel in the roughmayamon is a jewel in the rough

vCash: 700

Unhappy Problems replacing felt w/ glue - 11-25-2006, 10:37 PM

Just tried to recover my pool table today, used 3m arisol glue. Well i strechted the cloth all across the table, glued and clamed it all done, and it looks amazing. Only problem is the glue is not holding the felt at all. I used 3m 80 which according to the can should have done just fine. The underside of my table has nowhere for me to staple the cloth to so glueing is pretty much my only option. Are there any tips to make this process work better or any other suggestions? Thanks

Old
  (#2)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-25-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamon
Just tried to recover my pool table today, used 3m arisol glue. Well i strechted the cloth all across the table, glued and clamed it all done, and it looks amazing. Only problem is the glue is not holding the felt at all. I used 3m 80 which according to the can should have done just fine. The underside of my table has nowhere for me to staple the cloth to so glueing is pretty much my only option. Are there any tips to make this process work better or any other suggestions? Thanks
Hello, I think you have some bad glue or you are not applying it correctly.

I use 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive, and I have never had a problem.

When I apply the adhesive, I lay the cloth on the table the way it will lay. I fold back the cloth between around 1.5 to 2.0 inch's on either the head or foot of the table first. I then place news paper double thick under the fold on the cloths playing surface, at this point I leave about 1.5 inch of the slate exposed.

I apply the adhesive across the up turned cloth and then on the exposed slate, including 1.5 down the exposed side of the slate, then I wait approximately 1 to 2 minutes until the adhesive becomes tacky to the touch. When the adhesive becomes tacky, I fold the cloth over onto the slate and remove any wrinkles. I repeat the process at the other end of the table and then from one side to the other.

Your cloth can be pulled up and re-adhered, if you have not done what I have outlined. If have done it the same way, I would replace your adhesive and do it over.

If you have any other problems, please pm me I will help if possible.

Good Luck

Manwon

Old
  (#3)
sly
AzB Silver Member
sly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond reputesly has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-26-2006, 05:34 AM

I Believe 3m 80 Is For Rubber,use The 77 And It Should Be Ok

stick it
Old
  (#4)
SlateHumper
Pokin' and Hopin'
SlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond repute

stick it - 11-26-2006, 07:40 AM

3m super 77 is the ONLY way to go

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
Evolution Billiard Services
Cincinnati OH (513)-231-0970

Old
  (#5)
iapoolguy
AzB Silver Member
iapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond reputeiapoolguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

11-26-2006, 08:24 AM

The only time that has happened to me was the slates were to cold or damp ....we just moved them in from out side. I have learned to carry a hair dryer to warm the slate edge withbefore glueing ...it even works great to warm the seams before waxing also...Terry

Old
  (#6)
xidica
AzB Silver Member
xidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond repute

11-26-2006, 08:51 AM

This is really good stuff! Keep it coming

Old
  (#7)
mayamon
Struggling pool shark
mayamon is a jewel in the roughmayamon is a jewel in the roughmayamon is a jewel in the rough

vCash: 700

11-26-2006, 01:49 PM

Thanks alot, i wondered if the glue might be the problem, the felt is still in good shape so i'll try to re do it today. When you lay the cloth over the table as it is do you then stretch it out across the table? Or does the cloth just lay, not too tight? Thanks again though for all the help.

Old
  (#8)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-27-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamon
Thanks alot, i wondered if the glue might be the problem, the felt is still in good shape so i'll try to re do it today. When you lay the cloth over the table as it is do you then stretch it out across the table? Or does the cloth just lay, not too tight? Thanks again though for all the help.
Follow the instructions that I gave you above, first stretch the cloth head to foot, and then side to side.

The cloth should be as tight as you can get it, when you glue a section and attach the cloth wait around five minutes, before you stretch and glue at the other end.

When the cloth is glued down place your fingers on the cloth and try to move it by finger pressure only

Manwon

Remove the old glue first.
Old
  (#9)
wastateqman
AzB Bronze Member
wastateqman is on a distinguished road

Remove the old glue first. - 11-28-2006, 03:41 PM

What we do when we recover a table that doesn't have backed slate is use a 4" wide scraper to remove the old glue first. You can find these in any hardware store. Ours have approx. an 18 to 20" handle on them, and use std 4" wide scraper blades. The blades generally are sold in tubes of 10 for a couple of bucks. As far as glue is concerned the Super 77 spray glue is the only glue we use. Just be sure to keep the nozzle as clear as possible, and use plenty of paper when you fold the new cloth back that you're spraying. I know this sounds crazy, but around the pockets when you're done with the table use a couple of small strips of duct tape to help hold the pocket tabs to the slate. No one will ever see it unless they look under the table. Also the slate being dry, and not too cold helps the glue as well like mentioned earlier. Good luck and good playing.

Old
  (#10)
smittie1984
AzB Silver Member
smittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond reputesmittie1984 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 505

11-28-2006, 04:38 PM

Definitely Super77. It is the best.

Old
  (#11)
mroberts75
AzB Silver Member
mroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond reputemroberts75 has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2006, 09:41 PM

3M 77 works good, but 3M 74 is much better. It is a foamfast glue that works great with fabrics. I recommend it over 77

Old
  (#12)
billy-ks
AzB Silver Member
billy-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond reputebilly-ks has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2006, 06:00 AM

I would have to agree on the 74. I just recently tried it and it is hands down the best I have ever used. the tack time is much better and it is so musch easier to wrap the pockets. You have to be careful with it thouhg because the spray pattern is quite wide and you can create a mess real quick.

Cloth Adhesive
Old
  (#13)
RED LITE
AzB Silver Member
RED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond reputeRED LITE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Cloth Adhesive - 12-06-2006, 03:18 PM

I agree with those recommending the Super 77 spray adhesive.

Pay attention to the tack times on the can, and the weather.

If you have no time limit, try this process: Position the cloth and secure it with large spring clips (3 or 4 per 4-1/2 foot rail). Release the edge you want to glue, apply the adhesive both to the cloth and the slate edge and ~ 4 inches underneath, and then re-secure with the clips. Let it dry for at least an hour before repeating the process on the opposite end/edge, and really stretching from that side. Keep as many clips as possible attached while adhesive is drying.

I have had success with the heavy duty clips you can find at hardware stores or Sears; they look like 6-inch roach clips, usually with plastic handle grips. Not unlike battery jumper cable clips.

Good luck, and good shooting.

Last edited by RED LITE; 12-06-2006 at 04:35 PM.

R Clips
Old
  (#14)
oldroller
AzB Silver Member
oldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond reputeoldroller has a reputation beyond repute

R Clips - 12-06-2006, 05:43 PM

What the hell are roach clips ,,,I've been trappin them

Old
  (#15)
SlateHumper
Pokin' and Hopin'
SlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond reputeSlateHumper has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2006, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroller
What the hell are roach clips ,,,I've been trappin them
Dave's not here man.....

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
Evolution Billiard Services
Cincinnati OH (513)-231-0970

Billiards table | Shuffleboard tables | Pool Drawer | Harley style pool tables | Billiards table for sale

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: