Haven't been around in awhile, but I got another one for ya

PlynSets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you might remember the thread "Bangerville and an ethics question" It raised some good questions, and definately drew a line in the sand with regards to how some pool players consider things no big deal, while others consider them to be hanging offenses. This is sort of along those lines.

I've read alot on here as well about how many people won't play in a match that they don't consider "fair." In most cases that's a case where they are looking to get weight and not give it, but none the less it's applicable in reverse as well.

So here's the story.. I haven't been out on the town much lately, mostly playing at home when I get the chance, but honestly this cold/flu thing killed me for the last 3 or 4 weeks (prior to a week ago). So last tuesday is literally the first day I've even felt like getting out of bed so on wednesday I decided I was going to go down and play the local tournament at Pacific Que Billiards in Encinitas.

I head down and play in the tournament, and honestly did more drinking then anything. I really didn't play all that well all things considered, but started getting in stroke pretty quick while I was practicing with someone else after I got knocked out. I head to the restroom, and on my way out of the restroom the guys playing on the table nearest were talking about gambling and how they couldn't find a game. Overhearing that I said "Well hey I gamble and I'd be willing to give one of ya a shot." The response was "We were talking about poker etc... etc.." I apollogized and said "I'm sorry I thought you were talking about playing pool" and turned to head back to my beer(s). As I was turning away one of them said "Well we can definately do that too!" Alrighty then... :)

Now first and foremost these guys don't look like pool players.. Not that a pool player has a certain look, but ya know what I mean. So I walk off to grab my cue and come back and this girl in her 30's is standing next to my table holding a cue and says "What did you have in mind?" I'm not trying to sound sexist here, but honestly I was a little bewildered by the whole situation. I thought I was gonna match up with one of the guys, but here's this girl? (Not saying it doesn't happen or that there aren't girls out there that'd flat hand me my ass... Just saying it's never happened to me before) Well I've never seen her play, and she's never seen me play, and all that I know about her is that she's with these 3 or 4 big guys, and she's holding some Mural Meucci cue, and acting very "cocky" for lack of a better word.

So without skipping a beat I throw out the old "How about a race to 5 for 50?" She hesitated for about a 1/2 second and said "No problem" with a smile on her face. We flipped I broke, I ran.. Game two I broke and got about half way through the rack and played a safe. As soon as she bent over the table is became evidently clear that she's a D player.

So now I'm a little taken back by all of this becuase I'm unsure as to what to do the game isn't a fair game by any means and all I could picture in my head was a crowd of AZ'ers shaking their heads at me in dissaproval. PlynSets.. that bastard.

In my defense though honestly I didn't know who the hell she was, and for all I know she could be some up and coming WPBA star. Even slowing the pace down a bit.... scratch that alot, the score was 5:0 and she didn't make one ball during the entire set. Her boyfriend says the words "Fair is fair" and hands me 50 bucks.

My question to the AZ'ers is what do you do at that point? Do you give them the money back becuase the match wasn't fair? Do you play them again in a match that you deem to be more fair?

I'll tell you what I did, at this point I was drinking pretty steady so I said we should add some weight to this to make it more even. She didn't understand what I meant by saying the 8 ball or the seven or rather the 6 out. So I bought her boyfriend and his buddies a beer and said we need to handicap the game to what you guys think is fair. She brings up playing 8 ball, so I told her the only good way of handicapping 8 ball that i know of is we play a race, and I'll spot her some # of games. I was heading to the restroom and suggested we play a race to three, and when I got back she could tell me how many games she thought was fair. I came back they said spot her one game in a race to three for 20..

DJ
 
Last edited:
I just finish out the set, take the money and let them quit. I gave money back a few times and I got jumped by my friends for doing it as being "disrespectful".

If I'm playing by the game, once I'm a few games ahead I would at least offer up a spot. Sometimes it costs people money to find out they shouldn't be on the table with you. Save it for those times when you find out you're the one overmatched.

Chris
 
Last edited:
DJ,

Yah, you got a conundrum there. Personally, I only play someone helpless if they really really asked for it by running their mouth. And if I had gotten into your situation, I probably would have tried to give the money back. When asked why, I would have said something like, "It's obvious you were just looking to have a little fun, and I've really been taking the game seriously for the last few years. If you wouldn't feel right taking the money back, then just let me buy you all a few rounds.

Under absolutely no circumstances would I have played her for any more money. Personally, I like a matchup to be a battle of egos, backed up by a fair amount of skill on each side. I like giving another player a bit of an ego hit, and can take the same.

Taking money off someone who is helpless against you just doesn't fit into my personal gambling style. Now, if you wanted to play her with what you thought was a fair game, then by all means. But it takes a lot of 'figurin" to figure out how to make a game even between an A and a D player..

Russ
 
thats a tough one........part of me says if she/them is too ignorant to see shes totally outmatched, keep playing them til they wise up. Of course with the 4 or 5 guys there you might end up getting into it with them when they come to her defense cuz youre beating up on her on the pooltable. IF someone kept playing me in that situation id think they were setting me up and stalling.

I had a similar situation once, i was playing a guy sets and this girl walks in and comes back and hugs him cuz they hadnt seen each other in awhile, she said something about playing and he jokingly says, lets play for 20 a game. She walks off and we think thats the end when she comes back with the guy shes with and hes talking all kinds of smack about how we need to spot them, etc, etc, etc. Well we didnt want to play them but he pushes it so far we end up giving them the wild 7 and out and the break. They have no business playing us and in the end we give them their money back but the guys talking smack the whole time and there were some heated words at the end.
Overall id say you probably handled it the smart way.
 
Russ Chewning said:
DJ,

Yah, you got a conundrum there. Personally, I only play someone helpless if they really really asked for it by running their mouth. And if I had gotten into your situation, I probably would have tried to give the money back. When asked why, I would have said something like, "It's obvious you were just looking to have a little fun, and I've really been taking the game seriously for the last few years. If you wouldn't feel right taking the money back, then just let me buy you all a few rounds.

Under absolutely no circumstances would I have played her for any more money. Personally, I like a matchup to be a battle of egos, backed up by a fair amount of skill on each side. I like giving another player a bit of an ego hit, and can take the same.

Taking money off someone who is helpless against you just doesn't fit into my personal gambling style. Now, if you wanted to play her with what you thought was a fair game, then by all means. But it takes a lot of 'figurin" to figure out how to make a game even between an A and a D player..

Russ

Well I told ya how it ended up. Before I left for the restroom the second time I said "You guys come up with what you think is fair and I'll give you a chance to get your money back."

I bought some beers for the guys becuase I didn't quite feel right about the whole situation earlier. When I came back they presented the one in a race to three. I was trying to be as humble as possible when I said "I don't think that's fair still" but they said that's what they wanted to do and I didn't want to come off as one of those "I'm too good for you" a-hole types so we played, I won I took my 70, spent about 30 of it on booze, and covered the table time. They were on there way out to goto the Casino, so all n all I figure atleast they got 30 bucks worth of booze out of it. :D Casino's down here don't give ya spit, and they'll rob ya blind.

I finished off the night playing sets with another guy down at the pool hall. At the end of the night after paying the tabs, table time, tip etc.. I came home with 110.00 more then I left with. :) Pretty good time down at the pool hall all n all.

Incidentally Russ, I'm a B player. ;)

DJ
 
Ruthless said:
$110 would buy another transducer for my new bass boat :)

Hi Dave..... :eek:

FL Dave

Howdy Dave, if it's boats your into let me know.. I've got just about every hook up in the world when it comes to performance boating. Granted fishing isn't exactly my gig, but I might know somebody that knows somebody kinda thing. ;)

www.hotboat.com

DJ = RD
 
Well, you did say she was acting cocky. Maybe this girl's been telling her boyfriend how great she is and he was willing to donate a little money just to knock her back down to reality. Sometimes telling her she ain't all that is trouble, best to stand aside and let someone else humble her.:D
 
And maybe it didn't have anything to do with the money. You may have run across someone who saw the "Hustler", didn't really know much about pool (your D player), and wanted to be a "groupy" pool hustler or experience gambling on a pool game!!! You know some of the upper mobile huppies have more $$ than time to learn to play pool. Just a thought.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com
 
I wouldn't have taken the money. If they were insulted by that then I'd say "look, this is what I do. It's obvious she can't play me even and I don't want to be known as someone that robs people. If you insist I take it how about this, I got kicked out of the tournament early. Pay me back my entry and buy me a drink." If they're still insulted I'd just walk away. Anyone that gets angry that you don't want to take their money is an idiot.

I was out one night with a group of friends and there were some friends of friends there. One of the guys I I didn't know was talking to me. The conversation got around to pool. The guy said "I play pool, I'm pretty good." I figured he couldn't be too good because like I told you in my intro letter I was ranked number one in the Prefecture (state) at that time and I knew all the good players. Anyway, he suggested we go to the pool hall. We get there and he wants to play 10 bucks a rack. I get him down 30 bucks and can see that I'm going to be milking this guy so I tell him to stop. He won't have it. I get him down to about minus 70 or 80 bucks and tell him to quit again. He still won't have it. Says he's getting ready to catch a gear. Just about this time another guy I know comes in and I say to him "Please tell this guy to stop, he doesn't have a chance" he tells him too and he won't have it. I ended up winning 180 bucks off him that night. When it got down to 18 straight games won I quit him. I offered to half what he owed me but he wouldn't have that either. I took care of the time for him at least. I saw him about a year later and asked if he wanted to shoot some more pool, just ribbing him, and he said there was no way he was going to play me again. HA!! Sorry, no matter how bad I felt for him I don't lay down for anyone. I wasn't going to let him win.
MULLY
 
Mullyman, while I agree with your post there's another aspect that I guess I didn't construe well enough in text. The three big guys didn't exactly look to be the most scrupulous of characters.. In this particular case I think I would've been better off taking the $$ and not insulting the pride. All n all it was one of those things that everyone was happy in the end, they were all smiles giving me the last 20.00 and the girl even wanted me to come down to her bar where she plays league out of to setup some games. I decided to skip on that.. LOL

DJ
 
Back
Top