Cuetec Fires Strickland

gwvavases

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My latest subscription to Billiards Digest arrived today, and I read in it that Cuetec has fired Earl Strickland. Cuetc president, Jones Chang, said, "Earl has endorsed Cuetec from 1990 until 2007...He made great contributions to the game and to Cuetec. But when he loses, he loses himself. And that affects the Cuetec image. His behavior is detrimental to our promotion. We have stood by him in the past, but now it is time to end our relationship."

"Imperial [International, who recently acquired J-S, the Cuetec distributor] never liked me," Strickland said. "They were ready to boot me the first time I sneezed. I thik they pressured Cuetec into firing me. But Jones had it with me anyway."

...Strickland insisted that the production cue contributed to his poor play in recent years, which in turn contributed to his ornery behavior.

"I can't get any better with that cue anyway," Strickland insisted. "If they [Cuetec] made a better cue, I'd still be winning. But I was handicapped with that cue. I was at a 2-ball disadvantage against a guy like Mike Immonen playing with a good wood cue...And they never treated me right."

As for who would suffer more from the break-up, Strickland responded pointedly. "I made Cuetec," he said. "They didn't make me."

It's been like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

What do you think happens now? Any other sponsors gonna grab up Strickland? Or is the rest of the industry gonna stay away from him?

George in VA

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Man, I bet he'll have sponsors lining up. "If I lose, your product sucks !!! Give me money."

I hope this doesn't push Earl all the way over the edge.

MattRDavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard when Earl received the news he accused Jones of having a "tin-sint stroke", promptly broke 3 lamps & somewhat bewilderingly wrapped his entire midsection in prosciutto proclaiming to be the unchallenged master of "Earl Fu".

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
Well, it's nice to know that his game will improve again!

It always did amaze me that he would play with those things. I can't stand to touch them. I always pick one up when I see one and try it, thinking maybe I missed something last time, or maybe my skin has changed somehow(...?...). But it's always the same horrible feeling.

Anyways, cuetec.com still has him up w/ Allison, and is announcing his entry into the Hall of Fame.

Handsumm

Banned
Good for Cuetec, and good for Earl. Cuetec cues suck ass, and I wouldn't have stuck with them for so long myself, no matter what they paid me.

Earl can easily find a good playing (real wood, not synthetic bullshit) cue and I am sure anybody would want to sponsor him if he maintained an honest professionalism (there's no crying in baseball....and/or pool).

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Words To Live By

What do you think happens now? Any other sponsors gonna grab up Strickland? Or is the rest of the industry gonna stay away from him?

George in VA

I think he should be sponsored by those fancy wooden Budweiser Cues.
Doug
( The drunker you get-The better you play )

( and THAT would explain his antics.... imo )

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gwvavases said:
"I can't get any better with that cue anyway," Strickland insisted. "If they [Cuetec] made a better cue, I'd still be winning. But I was handicapped with that cue. I was at a 2-ball disadvantage against a guy like Mike Immonen playing with a good wood cue...And they never treated me right."
Well if Strickland really said that, it's the sanest thing he's said in years. Hard to argue with his point, but I might suggest a three ball disadvantage.:D

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Didn't Earl snap a Meucci shaft before switching to Cuetec?
Supposedly happened at Caesar's playing against the Miz.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
gwvavases said:
...Strickland insisted that the production cue contributed to his poor play in recent years, which in turn contributed to his ornery behavior.

As for who would suffer more from the break-up, Strickland responded pointedly. "I made Cuetec," he said. "They didn't make me."
Ya know, I think this is the first time I agree with Earl.

I think this may be a blessing in disguise for him. Hopefully his game will improve now that he will be playing with a decent cue.

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
cuetec fires strickland

it is about time that cuetec fired strickland they should have not let him be a sponser for them because he has a bad additude and he needs to be banned from pool forever so good job cuetec in getting earl strickland fired:) i am very happy to hear about this

thanks

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
Wow, I just looked around at the cuetec site some more, and they now have some sort of carbon fiber cross beam thing in the shaft. But the kicker is that the shaft comes with a BLACK DOT on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typical Earl, blaming everybody except himself. I hope he won't lose any more
marbles after losing his major sponsor. On the other hand, I knew someone
looking for an OCD model for a commercial or the tried and tested Prozac, he'll
be a puuurfect fit!
biglaugh.gif

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always kind of wondered if in Earl's mind he felt severely handicapped playing with a Cuetec cue. A shift to a wood cue might make a big difference in his play and attitude.

Cuetec made a solid business decision in 1990 getting him to come on board and they are making a solid business decision in 2007 in dropping him.

His recent results and behavior are doing no favors to the company and he has more than likely provided them with all the image enhancement in the last 10 years of which he was capable.

I really wish Earl well because when he is playing well and is focused he is a treat to watch.

A couple of days ago I received the Strickland-Wiley match from Accu-Stats and I have never been more disappointed in a pro player than I was with the way Earl behaved in that match. And only Earl knows what was going on in his mind as that was a winner's bracket match with 44 players left in the field. What could have been so wrong?

Maybe getting dropped by a primary sponser is what will wake him up and get him back on track.

Here's hoping.

Last edited:

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
MattRDavis said:
I heard when Earl received the news he accused Jones of having a "tin-sint stroke", promptly broke 3 lamps & somewhat bewilderingly wrapped his entire midsection in prosciutto proclaiming to be the unchallenged master of "Earl Fu".

Now that IS funny!

I think Earl will pick up a new sponsor easily enough, he's still a great player & folks love to watch him. The crazy stuff just makes for more entertainment. I too am amazed he put up with a Cuetec cue for so long. Horrible things.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Cuetec is to blame for all of Earl's misfortunes and the reason that he recently went out in two. (lmao)

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I just thought of something. How cool would it be if Earl picked up a quality cue from a small shop and went absolutely Tiger Woods on the pool world. I mean win Everything.

That would be kind of cool.

Of course he would need a helmet and pad sponsor.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I guess I'm not suprised Earl would respond in such a childish manner. Cuetec supported him through some tough times and he kicked them in the teeth when they were left with no choice but to severe the relationship.

Gee, I wonder why big business doesn't bother with pool? Could it be that it is preceived to be filled with people of this ilk?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
mosconiac said:
Gee, I wonder why big business doesn't bother with pool? Could it be that it is preceived to be filled with people of this ilk?
Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
JCIN said:
I just thought of something. How cool would it be if Earl picked up a quality cue from a small shop and went absolutely Tiger Woods on the pool world. I mean win Everything.

That would be kind of cool.

Of course he would need a tin foil helmet and pad sponsor.

Oh Earl... :rolleyes: