Is This A Good Drill?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, i havent posted a shot in a long time now, so i thought i would end the hiatus. was wondering what you posters thought about practicing this type of drill? pocket the 5-Ball, and come around 3-4 rails and try and contact the 1-Ball, then the 2-Ball, then the 3-Ball. then try and land the cue ball in between the balls at Points A and B.

anybody ever practice such a shot? seems like i get confronted with this type of shot on a somewhat regular basis. thoughts posters?

DCP

CueTable Help

Fixer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hitting the 3-ball is the shot to practice. The others are almost automatic. Hitting just below the centerpocket playing position for a ball on the spot calls for some feeling.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
not to sound harsh, but....

how about practicing getting on the right side of the five instead?

-s

/seriously

Fixer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You made me smile there with the ironic reply, and then the word seriously.

Have you never been out of position? Have you never had blocking balls? Have you never broken the balls? Has your opponent never left you with this?

Start playing, its fun.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
You are combining 2 drills that Bert Kinister recommends. One is the side pocket drill that is part of his Sixty minute workout and the other I think is the one that he refers to as the Ladder. Both are drills that I use in practice and have helped me. As you wrote those situations come up a lot.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
In general it is a good thing to practice these "up-and-down" shape sequences using the same shot ... 5 in the side 3 rails is only one shot shape that you can play. Generally opening and narrowing 2 rail shape is a drill I play with sometimes, same idea. It is also very helpful in illustrating the limits to these shapes (when can you not get there from here). Having said that, I still try near impossible shots now and then :eek:

Dave

ARM9BALLER

malakas
Silver Member
I like this drill...

RidgidCombo_HammerDrill.gif

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
TheBook said:
You are combining 2 drills that Bert Kinister recommends. One is the side pocket drill that is part of his Sixty minute workout and the other I think is the one that he refers to as the Ladder. Both are drills that I use in practice and have helped me. As you wrote those situations come up a lot.

Agreed.

FWIW, I spoke with Lou "Machine Gun" Butera (the original Machine Gun and the only one as far as I'm concerned) in 1992 at the Akron Open. I asked him about his getting into pool and how he practiced. Lou told me for the first year, he only practiced one shot! The shot he practiced was the old "spot shot". He shot this shot and practiced hitting every diamond on the table.

Bet he hated when the new "ball in hand" ruling came into effect.....:D

Any "drill" that you can practice that simulates situations that come into play in a game, can only improve your ability to overcome those obstacles when confronted with them.