My pool camp with Joe Tucker.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well to start, we met at an early 9 am start time (I got a little lost, but Joe navigated me in via cell phone). We went over a list of things and looked for weaknesses in our games (there was one other student there). Joe found a major mechanical error in my application of right side. We went over many drills and ways to come into the line of the shot. Joe showed his aiming system and pulled out his laser devise.

In the end, we were given many tools to go home with, and a starting plan. I say I have a good 9 to 15 months of hard work a head of me.

As for Joe, he is a real class act. We didn't have to pay for the table time (I did with a top instructor, he didn't even offer to pay for half the time), and Joe got us lunch both days.

The only thing that would have been better for me would have it on two Saturdays (one this week and the next, the next week). But I am old and being at the table for two 8 1/2 hour days in a row is quite a lot.

So if you get a chance, I would recommend his class.

Thanks Joe…

Pete

Joe T

Thanks Pete, it was a pleasure.

In case anyone is wondering about the cost, schedule and material covered, here it is in a nut shell. $400 per student and there are 1-3 students per class, usually I try to juggle the schedule to keep it at 2 but have done both 1 & 3. Class goes from 9am-6pm Sat & Sun usually at Snookers in Providence which doesn't open till 5 on Sat and 12 on Sunday during football season, back to 5 after football season. This class is meant to open a players eyes to the complete game, why and how the the pros play the way they do, what you have to understand mentally and what you'll have to add to your game physically. Most of the exercises are very difficult and are simply meant to give you a taste of what it is you'll need to develop to execute proper shot selection. I also throw in about $100 worth of my instructional materials.

The goal of the class is to put the student on the proper path, make sure they understand the game mentally so they'll be motivated to add the shots they'll need to their game physically. Not too much on the basics unless I see something that is causing a very specific problem.

Everyone usually leaves feeling wiped out and maybe a little overwhelmed.

Chenz

RIP DWBOD!!
Silver Member
Pete said:

Well to start, we met at an early 9 am start time (I got a little lost, but Joe navigated me in via cell phone). We went over a list of things and looked for weaknesses in our games (there was one other student there). Joe found a major mechanical error in my application of right side. We went over many drills and ways to come into the line of the shot. Joe showed his aiming system and pulled out his laser devise.

In the end, we were given many tools to go home with, and a starting plan. I say I have a good 9 to 15 months of hard work a head of me.

As for Joe, he is a real class act. We didn't have to pay for the table time (I did with a top instructor, he didn't even offer to pay for half the time), and Joe got us lunch both days.

The only thing that would have been better for me would have it on two Saturdays (one this week and the next, the next week). But I am old and being at the table for two 8 1/2 hour days in a row is quite a lot.

Thanks Joe?

Pete
C'Mon Pete, you're not THAT old :)!! Give me a call sometime. Vin

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe was one of the instructors at the Pool School I went to last summer at Snookers. He is indeed an excellent instructor. He has a lot of knowlege, and he is very creative. He has come up with some great aids for learning. The owner of Snookers is a very generous person allowing us to use his facility while the place is closed.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Joe T said:
Everyone usually leaves feeling wiped out and maybe a little overwhelmed.

Ya think??! After 3 days with you my brain hurt!! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Barbara

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tucker's the excellent

First of all i would like to disclose that i do not know Joe Tucker personally and have no affiliation with him.

I was lucky enough to be given one of Joe Tucker's aiming dvd as a gift and have been amazed on the improvement in accuracy in what I used to think was difficult shots.

His key philosophy in improvement -incorporating practice and training as much as game play has always been important to me. Joe's work ethic and teaching style is easy to understand and encouraging.
I"m excited to hear positive things about The Tucker School of Billiards as I hope to have the chance to visit soon.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Pete said:

Thanks Joe?

Pete

I second. I'm STILLLL working on the content from my lesson from this past summer. He revolutionized my break shots in 14.1, that's for sure.

Let's put it this way... I drove 5 hours for my lesson and it was a steal.

Dave

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm I know this is a little off topic but how did you do/get that sig its cool.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. $400 is cheap. I would jump on that, but I live on the other side of the US. I have Joe's DVD, and I value it as one very good resource of information. Straight Pool and 15 ball are my favorite games.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete...In all fairness, Joe is the house pro at Snookers, and has free access to the room, when it is not open. If I had access to ANY poolroom, I would not expect my students to pay table time either. This is why I always suggest someone's private home for a lesson, whenever possible (that, and there are almost always less distractions). Many poolrooms where I teach, do not charge time for me, but only for the student. Either way, the student is responsible for any applicable table time. If you meet your attorney at his office for a meeting, you will pay his hourly fee. If you meet at a restaurant, you will likely be expected to pay his fee, AND pay for the meal. :eek: :D In addition, Joe lives very close to his poolroom. I do not charge my students for any of my travel expenses. BTW...if you want to work together again, I will just bill you for my travel expenses...and then I'LL pay the table time. Okay?:rolleyes:

I'm glad you had a great learning experience with Joe. He is a terrific instructor and extremely knowledgeable. No doubt it helped that you had already created a repeatable setup and delivery, by practicing the things that we worked on during the past year.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Pete said:

Pete

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
poolplayer2093 said:
man scott that seems kind of angry. im sure he didn't mean any disrespect

Since we're chiming in, with respect for your take, I didn't think it was angry at all. I just think he was explaining the variables between Mr. Tucker's free access and Scott's lack thereof...because he travels around the country.

His lawyer analogy was apt and just an illustration. I think his point...if I may be so bold as to suggest it...is that his FEE is the sum of money that he expects to pocket and not what he expects to GROSS and have to pay 8 hours of table time out of.

Just my take but I think that it would take a LOT more than the poster's comments to get him angry and if he was...there would be NO question about whether he was pissed or not.

(-:

Joe T

Thanks for the nice replies folks, sorry it took a slightly wrong turn.
Barbara you've been way too sane lately, I think it might be time for a couple more days.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Pete...In all fairness, Joe is the house pro at Snookers, and has free access to the room, when it is not open. If I had access to ANY poolroom, I would not expect my students to pay table time either. This is why I always suggest someone's private home for a lesson, whenever possible (that, and there are almost always less distractions). Many poolrooms where I teach, do not charge time for me, but only for the student. Either way, the student is responsible for any applicable table time. If you meet your attorney at his office for a meeting, you will pay his hourly fee. If you meet at a restaurant, you will likely be expected to pay his fee, AND pay for the meal. :eek: :D In addition, Joe lives very close to his poolroom. I do not charge my students for any of my travel expenses. BTW...if you want to work together again, I will just bill you for my travel expenses...and then I'LL pay the table time. Okay?:rolleyes:

I'm glad you had a great learning experience with Joe. He is a terrific instructor and extremely knowledgeable. No doubt it helped that you had already created a repeatable setup and delivery, by practicing the things that we worked on during the past year.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hi Scott,

I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said. I never name dropped, so it could have been anybody. All I was trying to, and did say is that Joe took care of all the table time. I wasn't sure if he was or not. I didn't mean to fufle anyones feathers (that's why I didn't name drop).

If you want to, give me a call and we can talk it over, i don't want to do a public laundering of any issues you might have with me (I find that quite tacky).

For the record, I think Scott is well worth the money and a great instructor. And would do more lessons with him (though I don't think he will want me back;) ). Also, if there is any question of that, please search out threads started by me and see the review I gave of my lesson with him. That's why I wanted to share about Joe.

But really Scott, feel free to call. I would love to hear from you any time.

Best of luck and Happy holidays.

Pete

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
No, no Dude,

I just wrapped up my 9th year of running the tour.

I'm taking some time off.

Barbara

p.s. give your woman a hug for me.

Joe T said:
Thanks for the nice replies folks, sorry it took a slightly wrong turn.
Barbara you've been way too sane lately, I think it might be time for a couple more days.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete said:
For the record, I think Scott is well worth the money and a great instructor. And would do more lessons with him (though I don't think he will want me back;) ).

Pete

Pete...Only on a couple of extreme occasions (over 25 years) have I ever refused to work with a student again. You would not fit that catagory. I just wanted to set the record straight on why I expect to make my fee, which does not include table time. AV84fun hit the nail on the head. It is expensive to travel, and I have to amortize those costs into the fees I charge (which, imo, are fair and reasonable). Hope to see you again!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Pete..

If you meet your attorney at his office for a meeting, you will pay his hourly fee. If you meet at a restaurant, you will likely be expected to pay his fee, AND pay for the meal. :eek: :D
Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Great, look forward to dinner next month..:D