Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page "Hawaiian" Brian Hashimoto
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueCaps
Hi John, I was talking to Brian, and he mentioned MR. POCKETS, a poolroom he use to hang around. Sound familiar????
Mr. Pockets is still there on Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach. Brian plucked a few chickens in there. Like John, I'd like to have half the money back I lost to him. Brian got into just about everybody's pockets.

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-22-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Old
  (#32)
jrhendy
AzB Gold Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

01-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueCaps
Hi John, I was talking to Brian, and he mentioned MR. POCKETS, a poolroom he use to hang around. Sound familiar????
It is familiar, but not a room I frequented. I never had to go too far from the Golden Cue in Rosemead. In the 70's I had an Insurance Agency down the street and was there almost every day. I played tons of good players in that room and the owner, Indian Joe Monzingo, would go in with me when I needed help. My strong suit was giving up weight to weaker players and I made enough money doing that to fire at the big boys when they came around. Fourth & Main was only a few miles away, and since Archie The Greek also hung around the Golden Cue, the good Mexican players were in there quite a bit. I had some great sessions with Morro & Ernesto in those days before they kept getting better and too good for me. You never walked in the door of that place without getting down at something. If you couldn't make a pool game there was always dominos, pinochle, gin or hearts going on. I finally started playing pinochle after watching it for years. They invited me to play because I was a sucker and then yelled at me for playing bad when I wouldn't hold the right cards to set someone. They moved the pool room to So. El Monte years ago and I'll bet some of the same old guys are in there playing partners pinochle & yelling at each other. Some things never change and that is a good thing. John henderson

Old
  (#33)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy
It is familiar, but not a room I frequented. I never had to go too far from the Golden Cue in Rosemead. In the 70's I had an Insurance Agency down the street and was there almost every day. I played tons of good players in that room and the owner, Indian Joe Monzingo, would go in with me when I needed help. My strong suit was giving up weight to weaker players and I made enough money doing that to fire at the big boys when they came around. Fourth & Main was only a few miles away, and since Archie The Greek also hung around the Golden Cue, the good Mexican players were in there quite a bit. I had some great sessions with Morro & Ernesto in those days before they kept getting better and too good for me. You never walked in the door of that place without getting down at something. If you couldn't make a pool game there was always dominos, pinochle, gin or hearts going on. I finally started playing pinochle after watching it for years. They invited me to play because I was a sucker and then yelled at me for playing bad when I wouldn't hold the right cards to set someone. They moved the pool room to So. El Monte years ago and I'll bet some of the same old guys are in there playing partners pinochle & yelling at each other. Some things never change and that is a good thing. John henderson
John, do you remember the pool room, think is was close to the water, Redondo area, but they had a Risk board and they gambled a fair amount at it, can't remember the name, oh yeah, whats Jerry Brunstetter up to these days?

Old
  (#34)
gulfportdoc
AzB Silver Member
gulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE
I met him in 1975 and played him cheap 9 ball a few times at House of Billiards, 6th and Western.

I think he was there for a year or two. There were a number of good players there. Brain played anybody and everybody for whatever you wanted. I hung around the Valley mostly so it was my first taste of a downtown room -it was fascinating! Some real old-world gypsy's lived nearby and they always had something going on.

Chris
Chris, I'm wondering if House of Billiards was previously Mr. Pockets? I used to play in Mr. Pockets in the late '60s. It was on 6th St., but I don't recall the cross street. It might have been Western. When you walked in, there was a raised bar and seating area. The pool tables were on the left, and also around the back of the room. They probably had 12-15 tables.

Doc

Tough Customer
Old
  (#35)
9BallPaul
Banned
9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 766

Tough Customer - 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Having no idea who he was, I matched up with Brian in the mid-'80s in a joint in Lahaina, possibly a bar but I don't remember. We retired to the private room of a friend of his, which was a big mistake on my part.

In the end Brian robbed me, but it was my own fault. Sober, I might have had a chance. As a side note, this matchup ruined my honeymoon. So it goes.

Old
  (#36)
jrhendy
AzB Gold Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute

01-23-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive
John, do you remember the pool room, think is was close to the water, Redondo area, but they had a Risk board and they gambled a fair amount at it, can't remember the name, oh yeah, whats Jerry Brunstetter up to these days?
I remember the pool room but not the name. I think it also had a 6 x 12 snooker table in it. I went in there a couple of times and they offered to call Richie Florence to play, but of course I passed. There was another place in San Pedro called the Baze Ten that had action and tournaments.

I haven't seen or heard about Jerry in years. I know he went to Florida for awhile with Kim? (I heard he married her).

Was there ever a rougher pool room than the one in Long Beach on Pacific that Denny The Marine ran? I played Jerry in there, and also played Bee Davidson, who I see at the Hard Times tournaments in Sacramento from time to time. Bee looks good and still plays well. Lives in the North Bay somewhere and makes most of the one pocket tournaments. John

Old
  (#37)
jrhendy
AzB Gold Member

01-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
Chris, I'm wondering if House of Billiards was previously Mr. Pockets? I used to play in Mr. Pockets in the late '60s. It was on 6th St., but I don't recall the cross street. It might have been Western. When you walked in, there was a raised bar and seating area. The pool tables were on the left, and also around the back of the room. They probably had 12-15 tables.

Doc
Doc, the room you are describing sounds like House of Billiards but I don't remember it ever being Mr. Pockets. I think Mr. Pockets was farther out in the valley. John

Old
  (#38)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive
Mr. Pockets is in Manhattan Beach. Yankee Doodles is in Long Beach by the water. I saw you in there once. I was the house pro there in the late 80's, early 90's. Marlene the manager called me in to play you, but when I saw it was you I took a pass. This is the room that used to be called Black Jacks (in the 70's), and it was a rough spot then. John was referring to this place.

Old
  (#39)
LAMas
AzB Gold Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Hawiian Brian would practice at Gardena Bowl on table 3 and Lil Al on table 9 in the 60's.
John et al,
What was the name of the Pool Hall at Five Points in El Monte?

dumluk

Old
  (#40)
jrhendy
AzB Gold Member

01-23-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMas
Hawiian Brian would practice at Gardena Bowl on table 3 and Lil Al on table 9 in the 60's.
John et al,
What was the name of the Pool Hall at Five Points in El Monte?
The Smoker was on Valley Blvd. in Five Points and there was a 24 hour room at Five Points Bowl. There was another room on Valley Blvd. for a while but it didn't last long.

The Golden Cue moved from Rosemead to So. El Monte in the early 80's. John

Old
  (#41)
jrhendy
AzB Gold Member

01-23-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Mr. Pockets is in Manhattan Beach. Yankee Doodles is in Long Beach by the water. I saw you in there once. I was the house pro there in the late 80's, early 90's. Marlene the manager called me in to play you, but when I saw it was you I took a pass. This is the room that used to be called Black Jacks (in the 70's), and it was a rough spot then. John was referring to this place.
There also was a Mr. Pockets or Pockets on Victory Blvd. in No. Hollywood or the Valley for a while also. Hollywood Jack used to go in there and it wasn't too far from the House of Billiards in Studio City that had monthly 9 ball tournaments forever. Frank the Barber & I used to play in them and the Sardo brothers were always in there along with several other pretty good players. Jerry McWhorter hung in there when he was a young guy and was a pretty good player prior to his making cues. Frank probably won more of those tournaments than anyone over the years.

I remember the manager at Yankee Doodles in Long Beach and she was a beauty. I also remember when you ran tournaments there after The Color of Money came out, that when Keith played he signed in as Grady Seasons.

Old
  (#42)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

01-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy
There also was a Mr. Pockets or Pockets on Victory Blvd. in No. Hollywood or the Valley for a while also. Hollywood Jack used to go in there and it wasn't too far from the House of Billiards in Studio City that had monthly 9 ball tournaments forever. Frank the Barber & I used to play in them and the Sardo brothers were always in there along with several other pretty good players. Jerry McWhorter hung in there when he was a young guy and was a pretty good player prior to his making cues. Frank probably won more of those tournaments than anyone over the years.

I remember the manager at Yankee Doodles in Long Beach and she was a beauty. I also remember when you ran tournaments there after The Color of Money came out, that when Keith played he signed in as Grady Seasons.
That place on Victory Blvd. was called Chopstix. The manager's name was Marlene and she was my girlfriend for a couple of years. I took her to the U.S. Open Straight Pool in Chicago in 1989. That's the one that Oliver won, beating Mizerak in the finals. George Fels and I did the commentary for local television.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: