Oliver Ortmann/ Ludwig 1986 100+ ball run

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Dennis, Happy New Year to you sir and to all the rest of the fellow SP shooters here :)

That is definitely a heavy duty piece of shooting by Oliver Ortman, top rating for that run, I counted 197? for that run, but perhaps someone can ellaborate on that high run total :)

Thank you very much for uploading these matches Dennis, it's very much appreciated buddy :)

Willie

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea, good work! after watching it I was thinking he ran maybe 160 to 180? what a fearless exhibition of shot making.....or as Grady would say "that was shot making of the highest order"

I noticed the slow cloth right away, and I still say it's better to play on the slower cloth to get the stroke working.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
It's a good thing that Garth was able to take some time off from his busy schedule with "Wayne's World" so that he could travel to Karlsruhe to rack the balls for Oliver.

garth.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TheWizard said:
That is definitely a heavy duty piece of shooting by Oliver Ortman, top rating for that run, I counted 197?...
I didn't recognize Oliver at first on account of all the hair.

At the end of the run, the total is announced as 197 (or rather Hundertsiebenundneunzig).

By present rules, three kinds of fouls were committed during the run. What were they?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
By present rules, three kinds of fouls were committed during the run. What were they?

1- Leaving the cue on the table and letting go of it.

2 -Taking a ball out of the pocket to use as a cue ball to line up and see if a ball passed to a pocket.

3- I will have to watch again later to try and pick up on number 3.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I didn't recognize Oliver at first on account of all the hair.

At the end of the run, the total is announced as 197 (or rather Hundertsiebenundneunzig).

I haven't watched it in a while, but I thought there was a double hit or a push in there.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
I haven't watched it in a while, but I thought there was a double hit or a push in there.
If there was, that would make four types of fouls. I did not notice a double hit.

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Bob,

Thank you for confirming the score count on that run :)

There were 2 occasions that I remember during the video where Oliver had taken a ball out of a pocket, the first was to check if a potential break ball was in the rack area or not, and the second was to see where he wanted to place the cueball to make the #13 in the lower left corner, after making the #8 :)

I can't remember what the 3rd illegal move he did during that run, but I'll watch the video clip again and I'll edit it into this posting :)

Happy New Year Everyone :)

Willie

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He held the cue differently back then. And I notice his elbow used to hang straight, while now he uses sort of side arm stroke. Also, a lot more open bridges nowdays. Does anyone know the story behind that? Why did he change his style if he was already this good?:confused:

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed that too, but I have noticed that he still had that faster paced play at the table, I think that if anything, Oliver had fine tuned his overall game a little bit, but as for the reason for this, only Oliver himself can answer that :)

Willie

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TheWizard said:
I can't remember what the 3rd illegal move he did during that run, but I'll watch the video clip again and I'll edit it into this posting :) ...
The third illegal thing was kind of a trick question, but anyone watching should have immediately been outraged. At the end when Oliver tries to bank the second head ball cross-side (which is an absolutely standard out-of-the-14-ball-rack-shot that usually doesn't go), someone steps up and starts pounding the front balls of the rack. This is forbidden by various rule sets. It is generally better to rub the cloth to try to smooth it out than to pound another crater in the wrong place.

Given how much the ball missed by, I think he would have been better off playing the break ball off the rack. We recently had a thread about that shot, and it works surprisingly often.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
Given how much the ball missed by, I think he would have been better off playing the break ball off the rack. We recently had a thread about that shot, and it works surprisingly often.

Exactly Bob!

That situation was similar to a break shot I diagrammed recently. I was at 112 and ricocheted the ball in off the stack as diagrammed. My run ended at 128. Obviously Oliver didn't know that shot, or he could have gotten over 200 that day.

CueTable Help

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree wholeheartedly with you Bob, on the tapping of the 2 head balls in the rack near the end of the video :)

I thought though that looking at the location of the 1ball, it looked like the angle was too flat, horizontally, to be able to make that carom shot off the stack, I think that had the 1ball been a little higher and the CB a little higher up table as well, then the carom of the stack would've been makeable :)

What do you guys think? :)

Willie

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TheWizard said:
... I thought though that looking at the location of the 1ball, it looked like the angle was too flat, horizontally, to be able to make that carom shot off the stack, I think that had the 1ball been a little higher and the CB a little higher up table as well, then the carom of the stack would've been makeable :)

What do you guys think? :)

Willie
In looking at the video again, maybe the object ball is too close to the bottom of the rack, although I'm regularly fooled by the perspective in videos from that angle. Look at Blackjack's diagram, which looks impossible, but can be made with a reasonable percentage. But how about playing it to the diagonally opposite corner pocket? Given that the cross-side has no chance, you need to try something else.

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, to deflect to the opposite upper corner is possible, in fact, I remember this shot being mentioned before and I'm almost sure it was played in a match :)

I have noticed though that if the BB is above the stack, I rarely ever see any players leaving themselves a side pocket break by leaving the CB, OB high on the table, usually between 2 and 2.5 diamonds up the rail, but I guess it depends on the layout and how the pattern turns out :)

Willie

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
I didn't think he was ever going to miss, he really shot his way out of some tough spots. It was fun to watch because he plays so fast. I don't know how old he was there but there can't be too many people who play the game that well at that age. Thanks for the vide Dennis that was awesome.

Ken

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Zagiflyer said:
I didn't think he was ever going to miss, he really shot his way out of some tough spots. It was fun to watch because he plays so fast. I don't know how old he was there but there can't be too many people who play the game that well at that age. Thanks for the vide Dennis that was awesome.

Ken

At the Eurotour last june in Austria, he celebrated his 40th birthday, so I suppose he is around 19 at the time.

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
predator said:
He held the cue differently back then. And I notice his elbow used to hang straight, while now he uses sort of side arm stroke. Also, a lot more open bridges nowdays. Does anyone know the story behind that? Why did he change his style if he was already this good?:confused:
He has answered this question here: http://www.billard-aktuell.de/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=163188#163188
Use google translate service, the result is understandable.
Briefly, he has numerous problems with his back.