One Of A Kind - St. Louie, Louie & OHB Poster.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
On December 26th and 27th, 1977, the St. Louis Globe-Democrat ran full page "SPORTS SPECIALS" about the two best St. Louis Pool Players.

The first days article was about yours truly and it was titled "The Hustle Is On". The next days article was about St. Louie, Louie and it was titled "He's No Hustler".

When the two articles are read together, it takes on a very revealing insight into the many choices and paths that confronted a young pool player from this long gone era.

The few who have seen these two articles have stated that it is a shame that they didn't appear together, to be displayed as one. They really get into the insights, tactics, goals & obstacles of the profession.

As a tribute to Louie and a request from my Daughter, I have done just that.
The two articles now are together as one mounted and framed poster.

A very good & old friend of mine has signed/autographed his statements and comments on the article about me. His first real "Road Trip" was with me. This was when he defeated One-Eyed Tony on a bar box in Tulsa and "SNAPPED" his game onto the next level and eventually to the well earned reputation as the "Best Nine-Ball Player" of all time. - "BUDDY HALL"
I have also added some of my thoughts and opinions about Louie. Louie and I were 15 & 19 when we met and I feel as though I am very qualified to make the statements I have.

I am very interested in the opinions of the educated Pool World and especially would like to hear from the knowledgeable members here at azbilliards.

TY & GL

Attachments

• Poster.jpg
    Poster.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 781
Last edited:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta agree

T-dog said:
pretty cool but i would have liked to read the articles

I gotta agree with ya on this one, T-dog. That thing is WAY COOL. St. Louie Louie was a legend in his own time. Even more today. I was so curious as to what Buddy Hall had to say about OHB that I enlarged the bottom left corner. I believe it says, "It's amazing how many players Tom defeated and never got a reputation. Tom was the Real Deal. He was all about the Hustle and the Cash. I'll never forget that 1st Road Trip. Buddy Hall."

See what you think.

Last edited:

piglit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
I gotta agree with ya on this one, T-dog. That thing is WAY COOL...

And I, in turn, will agree as well. That little piece of history is something that we should all have the pleasure of reading. I think that a poster would be way cool, but unless lots are printed, I think that the cost to the producer would cause it to be priced too high for most of us to remain interested.

Another cool thing, we have the "real deal" here. A man who made pool work for him. He worked the system and now is sharing his work with us.

I could never make it on the road- I love to hear about folks who did though...

-pigo

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell of an idea

piglit said:
And I, in turn, will agree as well. That little piece of history is something that we should all have the pleasure of reading. I think that a poster would be way cool, but unless lots are printed, I think that the cost to the producer would cause it to be priced too high for most of us to remain interested.

Another cool thing, we have the "real deal" here. A man who made pool work for him. He worked the system and now is sharing his work with us.

I could never make it on the road- I love to hear about folks who did though...

-pigo

That's a hell of an idea, Pigi. Tom, why don't you have copies printed and sell them at a reasonable price? Hell, I would even go off for something like that about St. Louie Louie. And, Pigi, that Road can be tuff as nails. Been there, done dat.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, that's the real deal, all right. I recognize that fine penmanship of Buddy Hall's.

At the last Glass City Open, the promoters provided opportunities for some of the pro players to spend an hour in the front lobby of the hotel and play Beat the Champ on a bar box. Challengers pay 5 bucks to challenge the pro, and if they beat the pro player, they get a T-shirt with a great big old 9-ball on it and the words "I beat a professional player at the Glass City Open." Then the pro autographs the shirt. If the challenger doesn't win, the money went to Children's Miracle Network, a charity to help sick kids. I got me one of those autographed shirts with Buddy Hall's signature on it, but I sent in a pinch shooter to beat him for me (LOL). :D

Here's Buddy signing some cue balls at the same event. One thing about him, he's a fan favorite at every tournament I've seen him at, a legend in some circles. I'm not sure how many years Buddy's been a playing, but he is still awesome to watch, moves like a panther around the table with that infamous Buddy Hall slow-walk. Everybody loves Buddy! :)

JAM

Attachments

• betterbuddypicture.JPG
    betterbuddypicture.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Yep, that's the real deal, all right. I recognize that fine penmanship of Buddy Hall's.

At the last Glass City Open, the promoters provided opportunities for some of the pro players to spend an hour in the front lobby of the hotel and play Beat the Champ on a bar box. Challengers pay 5 bucks to challenge the pro, and if they beat the pro player, they get a T-shirt with a great big old 9-ball on it and the words "I beat a professional player at the Glass City Open." Then the pro autographs the shirt. If the challenger doesn't win, the money went to Children's Miracle Network, a charity to help sick kids. I got me one of those autographed shirts with Buddy Hall's signature on it, but I sent in a pinch shooter to beat him for me (LOL). :D

Here's Buddy signing some cue balls at the same event. One thing about him, he's a fan favorite at every tournament I've seen him at, a legend in some circles. I'm not sure how many years Buddy's been a playing, but he is still awesome to watch, moves like a panther around the table with that infamous Buddy Hall slow-walk. Everybody loves Buddy! :)

JAM

Nice pic of a more "Svelte", Buddy, JAM. I really feel like he could beat any top player of today if he could get back to a more reasonable 225Lbs. Still plays "JAM" up, pardon the pun, to be as heavy as he is.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Pig - Your right again.

"I think that the cost to the producer would cause it to be priced too high".

Pig – You hit the nail on the head - As You can see by the attached receipt from Kinko's (that doesn’t include the laminating cost ($38), reproductive cost ($67) or any S&H), I would have to charge about $235 to come out ANY ahead. That wouldn't even include any small pittance for my Daughter. It was her idea and I have always "kissed In" those who contributed to anyone of my successes.
TY & GL

Attachments

• Kinko's Receipt.jpg
    Kinko's Receipt.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

Purdman

Banned
Lord Thats A Lot Of Money

$74.09, Framed? Lord that's a lot of money. Now you gotta charge $250 to make a little money? Lord that's a lot of money!!!!! You ain't cutting anybody any slack here my friend. How much for de little girl????? Still shaking my head in VA.
Purdman :cool:

The article would sure be a good read, I'm certain. (I'd sure love to see it in the entirety, but not for $75 - $250) But if there was ever to be a shootout at high noon with anyone on AZ, this thread just buried it in Boot Hill. Oy-yoy-yoy...you could have cleaned up pards, don't tell me you're going straight and easy on these young-uns? ;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Nice pic of a more "Svelte", Buddy, JAM. I really feel like he could beat any top player of today if he could get back to a more reasonable 225Lbs. Still plays "JAM" up, pardon the pun, to be as heavy as he is.

Buddy is a tall boy! When I took this picture of Johnny and Buddy with Keith, the two of them towered over him. He's got to be about 6'4" or more! After I snapped the shot, I said, "Man, you guys are really tall."

It was fun hearing Buddy, Keith, and Johnny reminisce about old times. When recalling an incident or two, each one had their own version, with a different twist, and all three of them had me in stitches. Buddy Hall has always been a mentor of sorts to Keith, and whenever Buddy talks, Keith listens. There's a great deal of respect between the two of them! :)

It is a shame there aren't more pictures of St. Louis Louie Roberts. Some folks say he looked like Elvis Presley The only GOOD picture I have seen of Louie is at the Derby City Classic, a blown-up photo to commemorate the annual St. Louis Louie Roberts Award. The first year, Alex the Lion won it, in memory of Louie, for being the most entertaining player. Last year, North Carolinean Tony Watson got the honors. Even after all these years, when you mention the name St. Louis Louie Roberts, people smile, a character in the history of American pool who brought enjoyment and laughter to all he met!

JAM

Attachments

• group.JPG
    group.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 686

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Buddy is a tall boy! When I took this picture of Johnny and Buddy with Keith, the two of them towered over him. He's got to be about 6'4" or more! After I snapped the shot, I said, "Man, you guys are really tall."

It was fun hearing Buddy, Keith, and Johnny reminisce about old times. When recalling an incident or two, each one had their own version, with a different twist, and all three of them had me in stitches. Buddy Hall has always been a mentor of sorts to Keith, and whenever Buddy talks, Keith listens. There's a great deal of respect between the two of them! :)

It is a shame there aren't more pictures of St. Louis Louie Roberts. Some folks say he looked like Elvis Presley The only GOOD picture I have seen of Louie is at the Derby City Classic, a blown-up photo to commemorate the annual St. Louis Louie Roberts Award. The first year, Alex the Lion won it, in memory of Louie, for being the most entertaining player. Last year, North Carolinean Tony Watson got the honors. Even after all these years, when you mention the name St. Louis Louie Roberts, people smile, a character in the history of American pool who brought enjoyment and laughter to all he met!

JAM

Another great pic, JAM. I use to do some things with, Buddy, JAM. I was 6'5" at the time, 6'4" now, back surgery, and Buddy was 2 or 3 inches shorter than me. In the mid 70s Buddy weighed in the low 200s. I would just like to see him take better care of himself. I know what the excess weight can do to shorten your life expectancy. Buddy is a good friend and I want him to be around for many years to come. It ain't as easy to lose weight as it was in the 70s. Can't get "Good" diet pills any more.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Please re-read

Donald A. Purdy said:
$74.09, Framed? Lord that's a lot of money. Now you gotta charge $250 to make a little money? Lord that's a lot of money!!!!! You ain't cutting anybody any slack here my friend. How much for de little girl????? Still shaking my head in VA.

Purdman - I have edited the posting to include the other charges. I also have never believed in anyone working for nothing, especially ME!
My Daddy always told me that - If you can't make a profit from selling something - It's not worth a Cold Bottle Of Pi**.
I believe this has value but it must be determined by the "cost to produce" and the limited "available market". If it were to be priced so everyone & anyone would buy it - it would be worth little more than toilet paper.

Driver - Me thinks that ship has sailed long ago. Willie has made many postings without re-addressing his challenge. In looking at his profile, I notice that he is a M.D. I'm sure he is a little too busy (and into his work), to worry about a pool game with an OldHasBeen. I truly envy his success at his chosen profession - Especially if he is a gynecologist.
TY & GL

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Info for Hemi & JAM

When Buddy & I left "On His First Road Trip" as he mentions in the article, He weighed about 190 or so. I weighed about 210 and I'm only 6'. Buddy & I are less than a year apart. I now aim to keep my fighting weight between 300 & 315 but when I was 27, I lost 140 lbs in 6 months - to get a job as a St. Louis Policeman - and to "Get Laid" for nothing.
I didn't get the job (thank God) but I did get married about 5 years later. After accomplishing one goal I went back to another - "TO BE HAPPY"!
I have no desire to be thin and attractive again.
My biggest fear is - That I'm going to Die Healthy.
I just want to live till I die and not slowly die while I'm living.
There is this 70 year old fellow at the poolroom who sits around and talks about his sexual conquest all the time. I on the other hand start talking about what I'm going to fix the family for dinner tonight. One day he ridicules me for always talking about food, so I says -
Hey, Your always talking about sex and I would be willing to bet that I'm better at what I speak of than you are at what you speak. And I'll guarantee you that mine last longer & taste better.
We haven't spoken since!
TY & GL

Purdman

Banned
Hey Tom

No offence meant. Don't go to Kinko's. That's a lot to have a B/W paper blown up and printed to poster size. My brother in-law does it all the time at home. He even does color. I do like the pics and article. Good luck in your venture.

OldHasBeen said:
Driver - Me thinks that ship has sailed long ago. Willie has made many postings without re-addressing his challenge. In looking at his profile, I notice that he is a M.D. I'm sure he is a little too busy (and into his work), to worry about a pool game with an OldHasBeen. I truly envy his success at his chosen profession - Especially if he is a gynecologist.
TY & GL

LMAO...Sumabitch...I never noticed that before...a DOCKTAH! If I had a daughter I'd try to get him to marry her. Hey Willee, now that we know you make big bucks, don't be so cheap!
DOCKTAH or no DOCKTAH he's a pretty good "one of the boys" all in all. But you're right...I see the sails vanishing over the horizon.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
LMAO...Sumabitch...I never noticed that before...a DOCKTAH! If I had a daughter I'd try to get him to marry her. Hey Willee, now that we know you make big bucks, don't be so cheap!
DOCKTAH or no DOCKTAH he's a pretty good "one of the boys" all in all. But you're right...I see the sails vanishing over the horizon.

Yea, Driver, I noticed that too. All it told me was that not only could I probably not beat Willie but for sure I couldn't out bet him.

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a nice news article! I really miss the Globe. Oh well, I hear Willie might be coming to town for lessons with Mark Wilson. This would be a great time to shoot a few. :cool:

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM

Louie in about 1978

Attachments

• louie_low_res.gif
    louie_low_res.gif
    88.5 KB · Views: 446