New cue from Scott Whisler

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Just got my new cue from Scott.
md__IMG_1707.jpg

10 mesquite points (5 up, 5 down) with maple and mesquite veneers into BEM forearm and butt sleeve. Rings of copper, turquoise, maple and mesquite at the butt sleeve and joint collar. Natural linen phenolic at butt cap and joint. Walrus tooth (that's right, walrus tooth) ferrules.

19 oz, 13mm, Samsara taper, hits like a dream. This one's a keeper and will be my new player.

mesquite, maple, copper, turquoise, natural linen phenolic...
md__IMG_1711.jpg

radial pin
md__IMG_1713.jpg

Whisler 2008
md__IMG_1715.jpg

Walrus teeth!:eek:
md__IMG_1716.jpg

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whisler Cue

Great looking cue! The turquoise in the ringwork is subtle and it adds a nice touch. I like this one a lot!

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
First time I saw Turquoise in the ringwork, very unique.
devil.gif
It's s'posed to be an Arizona cue, with a touch of Alaska.

I provided Scott with some of the raw materials myself. The turquoise is Kingman turquoise (I lived there). My brother, who lives in Eagle, AK, brought me the walrus teeth. He also brought me a walrus tusk for the ringwork, but alas, the tusk didn't have a large enough diameter... The mesquite and copper are additional touches of AZ.

Thanks for the comments.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Bumping up a post from last year. Just wanted to say, again, what a great cue Scott Whisler made for me...

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
I think this cue is worth a bump. I haven't seen a mesquite cue in a long time and this is a prime example of southwestern honey mesquite. According to wood-database.com it's one of the most stable woods, which makes the rarity in cues kind of surprising.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
I think this cue is worth a bump. I haven't seen a mesquite cue in a long time and this is a prime example of southwestern honey mesquite. According to wood-database.com it's one of the most stable woods, which makes the rarity in cues kind of surprising.

I just now noticed the bump (from 5 months ago). Thanks.

And, yes, mesquite is a <very> stable wood. The mesquite used in this cue was left over from mesquite flooring we put in our house. We had a rain leak from a french door installed on the side of one of the rooms that got the mesquite, and even though the rain got to the ends of the boards (where there was no urethane finish) the wood never swelled and we never got any damage of any kind.

This cue has, likewise, been just as stable. Of course the main body of the cue is BEM, but the points have not shown any issues under the finish whatsoever.

Thanks, again.

- s.west

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
It's difficult to describe the feel of this cue. It's very tactile, and I get quite a bit of feedback, but not so much that I feel like I'm playing with a steel rod. The feedback is softened, or perhaps distributed in a way that makes it feel like the whole cue is involved in the shot. The sound it makes is perfect, not clunky, not mushy (of course the tip has a lot to do with some of this - Tiger Sniper).

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's simply the best hitting piece of wood I've ever held.