My first cue finally finished

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I just completed my first cue. When we were in Vegas in 2006 for the BCA tournaments I mentioned to Dennis(Searing) that I always had wished that I could have built my own cue and he said " Let's do it", the rest is now history. I began construction on June 24, 2006 @ 10:15 am and finished April 22 2008 @ 7:43 pm. All I can say is what a wonderful adventure. I had like no craftsman skills in the beginning....Dennis taught me step by step and explained what to do and the rest was in my hands.

Initially I was going to build a four ebony point flat faced Ivory jointed cue and it just began to evolve into my Dice Cue. It is Lucky # 7, all inalys are one and six in the cue.

All white in the cue is Ivory and the silver is pure silver.
The forearm has an ebony remill and three veneers. I went with three shafts with matching joint caps and medium Moori tips.

Cortland Irish Linen wrap coutesy of the Pechauers.

Dennis made all of this possible and his encouragement and support was amazing. I am very appreciative of Dennis letting me do this in his shop and his guidance and friendship.

My thanks to Darth and JazznPool and Big John Horton for kicking around some ideas. My thanks to Gus Szamboti the reason I fell in love with cues,Barry Szamboti,John Showman, and Bob Manzino for inspiration and sharing of their cue building knowledge.

Thanks to Nick Serdula for showing me how to post the pictures.

P4220153.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue089-3.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue090-1.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue083.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue102-1.jpg
[/IMG]

CloseupcapsofP4220158-1.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue086-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Dennis thanks for everything and you made a dream come true.
Dennis you are the man,the myth,the legend.

Oh, by the way it plays like.......awesome, moves the cue ball like real great and the hit,feel and action perfect for me, the Ivory joint has a real nice soft smooth hit and crisp at the same time.

Thanks, Scott

A couple more pics showing the inays a little better with the silver frames around the Ivory;

MyCue003.jpg

MyCue004.jpg

Last edited:

guycrunch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scott, that is an amazing story and an amazing cue. what a thrill it must have been to work with dennis, congrats. it was nice meeting you at vf.

guy

longmao

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that is your first cue, i am TOTALLY SPEECHLESS. Very nice work you have there.

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky Guy

Scott,

What a dream come true.

I think this may be one of the best stories I've read here on AZ.

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

The cue is breathtaking.

Tommyd1

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I love cues with dice as inlays I saw a great one last year but after seeing this hands down it the best looking and built by a great cuemaker best of both worlds.

Craig

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
damn man that is sweet...

can I have your second cue????? Pleasssssssssssse

paulybatz

"The Professor"
Silver Member
Wow

WOW is all I can say, double WOW!
Congratulations, it is even more spectacular than I had imagined.
I have been talking to Dennis regularly since your beginning the project and I have to say that it is tremendous. I am not a gambler cue fan but here is another that just blows me away.

(All of the dice in the cue are to scale and all the dots in the dice are inlays even at the tiny dice at the joint), if I remember this correctly!

This is one cue I would love to see in person!!!

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
Scott, that cue is absolutely freakin' gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you would have told me about this project you had going. You should be major proud.

I hope to talk to you, soon..............

Jimmy

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

that cue is amazing. the feeling of acomplishment must be tremendous.
way to go

steve

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, it was great meeting you this year at VF.... it really was nice to talk to you..... but....

I really really despise you..... my hats off to you. Incredible.

-Ross
jealousy stings....

cuemasterpieces

When a man loves a woman
Silver Member
Wooow

HIRUN526 said:
Well I just completed my first cue. When we were in Vegas in 2006 for the BCA tournaments I mentioned to Dennis(Searing) that I always had wished that I could have built my own cue and he said " Let's do it", the rest is now history. I began construction on June 24, 2006 @ 10:15 am and finished April 22 2008 @ 7:43 pm. All I can say is what a wonderful adventure. I had like no craftsman skills in the beginning....Dennis taught me step by step and explained what to do and the rest was in my hands.

Initially I was going to build a four ebony point flat faced Ivory jointed cue and it just began to evolve into my Dice Cue. It is Lucky # 7, all inalys are one and six in the cue.

The forearm has an ebony remill and three veneers. I went with three shafts with matching joint caps and medium Moori tips.

Dennis made all of this possible and his encouragement and support was amazing. I am very appreciative of Dennis letting me do this in his shop and his guidance and friendship.

My thanks to Darth and JazznPool and Big John Horton for kicking around some ideas. My thanks to Gus Szamboti the reason I fell in love with cues,Barry Szamboti,John Showman, and Bob Manzino for inspiration and sharing of their cue building knowledge.

P4220153.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks, Scott

Excellent :eek:

Enjoy it pal :)

Berny

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats!

Quite a story an quite a cue. I'd say without a doubt my favorite gamblers cue of all times. Its the nutz!!!!!!!!!!
Pinocchio

Justlovecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HIRUN526 said:

P4220153.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue089-3.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue090-1.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue083.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue102-1.jpg
[/IMG]

CloseupcapsofP4220158-1.jpg
[/IMG]

MyCue086-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Dennis thanks for everything and you made a dream come true.
Dennis you are the man,the myth,the legend.

Oh, by the way it plays like.......awesome, moves the cue ball like real great and the hit,feel and action perfect for me, the Ivory joint has a real nice soft smooth hit and crisp at the same time.

Thanks, Scott
If you were an actor in your first film, I think you would win the Academy Award. That is a 'terrific' first cue. Your experience is nothing short of inspirational!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hay Scott!

Always a pleasure! Rember me first!:D
Sweet cue. Can you be a master builder after one cue?
Great job!
Nick :)

LosOsosCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
S logo

Cuemaster98 said:
I wonder why Dennis would put his logo on the cue if the cue was made by his assistance? Doesn't make sense unless Dennis actually work on the cue. Never the Less, it's definitely a steal since the cue has Dennis Logo. I'm sure the cue was constructed with Dennis wood and material.

Hi Duc,
Thank you for the compliment. The reason the "S" logo was put on the cue is for one main reason, if I didn't put an "S" on how would the current owner know where to go if anything was needed regarding this cue? I also decided early on that the "S" would mean that the cue was built, or converted in my shop. My signature means the cue is built 100% by me. If you don't see a signature then it started out as some type of pre-made blank, or built with my help. No signature, not 100% me.
Regarding this cue mentioned, Jim was a good friend of mine, and He helped me for a long time mostly doing prep work for me. After working with me approximately 4 years He wanted to make a cue in hopes to learn more, and make a little extra money I said OK, and in the end we worked together over the next few years and made I believe 5 or 6 cues. I showed Him what to do, and I watched. What He couldn't do I did for Him.
For the record those cues Jim, and I made are the only cues plus one in progress now that was not made or put together 100% by me. The cue in progress now is also signed by the person whom I'm helping to build His own cue, not signed by me.
I hope this clears up any confusion.

Sincerely, Dennis

I got this from another thread

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Amazing details in the cue

The dots in the dice! Everything painstaking made patiently and to exact tollerances. The veneers made the the perfect thicknesses. Scott would tell me every now and again the pain of making a cue to exact standards.
And Dennis, Scott loved every minuite!
Congrats on your friendship!
The cue you friends built together made one of Scott's dreams come true.
Congrats to both of you!
Nick :)

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shock and awe come to mind. I am really speechless....

Was it really two years on that cue? C'mon you gotta share a story! Did the first few blanks go flying off the lathe?

Did you crack anything and have to start over????