SVB Visits Deaf Children in Denver

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello All,

Well, I guess Shane's not just a pretty face - he has a pretty great heart, too. While visiting the Denver area, Shane teamed up with Melissa Little to visit a school for the hearing impaired. It sounded like it was awesome and I got a tear hearing from Melissa the kid's reaction to his visit. He is a true inspiration to many people, not just us pool fans.

Not to get lost in the Shane thing, Melissa Little is always thinking of ways to use her celebrity to enrich other's lives. This was her brainchild and I personally want to thank her for all she does for pool and her community. And of course, thank Shane for embracing the opportunity with open arms. Here's the press release and some pictures of the school visit and the exhibition w/Mark Haddad:

Press Release:
Mark Haddad vs. Shane Van Boening

On Friday, May 2, 2008 Denver was on the edge of their seats watching Mark and Shane compete in their scheduled pool exhibition held at the Wynkoop Brewing Company in downtown Denver. At one point it looked like Shane was going to run away with an easy victory being ahead 10-5 in their race to 15. But, Mark then came alive winning the next few racks making it 10-8. Back and forth they went and in the end Shane pulled in the final score of 15-12. The crowded house loved the show, autographs, and challenges! Thanks guys-great job!

Earlier that Friday, WPBA Touring Pro Melissa "The Viper" Little and Shane stopped by the "Rocky Mountain Deaf School" to sign autographs for the 40 little kids who attended. The kids were between the ages of 6-12 and most had hearing impairments. Shane spoke to them about pool and how pool has changed his life in the most positive way and assured them that they too could follow their dreams if they worked hard enough. With the help of a translator Shane's first words spoken to the kids were; "My name is Shane Van Boening , and I am 97% deaf, and I am a World Champion Pool Player". Over all it was a great experience for everyone!

Wynkoop Family

cid_95527326-4237-4B69-923F-A39DB73.jpg

cid_6130096B-AEBD-49E7-A138-E0420A2.jpg

cid_44C9FF28-3D23-45CA-BB88-1811CCE.jpg

cid_0F943625-7939-47A7-B5B5-4A83A65.jpg

cid_94FBEFDE-74ED-45A2-B269-BBB5E80.jpg

I hope you don't mind my sharing this with you all. I think it's a great thing and proud to know all concerned.

Dave

Last edited:

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's great.

Hah, this may be the only occurrence of kids looking up to a pool player!

Seriously though, I think it's great beyond pool. Shane's turning out to be a real class act, much in the same way that Jeanette Lee has become a spokeswoman for the scoliosis cause. Kudos to him, for raising awareness for those with disabilities, and for raising the expectation levels of what they can achieve.

A cheesy post from me, yes... but SVB seems to bring out the best in me.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
That is awesome. It's great to see a pool player doing something positive. Nice change of pace from the Schmidt/Harriman drama.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
Wow, that's great.

Hah, this may be the only occurrence of kids looking up to a pool player!

Seriously though, I think it's great beyond pool. Shane's turning out to be a real class act, much in the same way that Jeanette Lee has become a spokeswoman for the scoliosis cause. Kudos to him, for raising awareness for those with disabilities, and for raising the expectation levels of what they can achieve.

A cheesy post from me, yes... but SVB seems to bring out the best in me.

Not Cheesy at all - you're just speaking the truth. Not every post has to be about hustling (although we love that too!):D.

Dave

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
That is awesome. It's great to see a pool player doing something positive. Nice change of pace from the Schmidt/Harriman drama.

Amen, brother (as Freddy the beard would say)

grandpapkusky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can ANYONE not like this guy! Do you have any idea how good it is to see someone as young as Shane take time to visit those who could really use a little lift?
Wonderful job! You have another fan for life!

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KUDOS to Shane. I'm sure these kids appreciate his visit and see an example of how one can be great at many endeavors despite hearing problems.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My hat's off to Melissa Little for thinking of this and helping make it happen. Good for you girl! And Shane, what can I say. What a gift to the American Pool world you are. Do you realize more young guys are taking up Pool (in many years) thanks to you.

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shane

WOW! I knew Shane is a great person but this really touched my heart.

I`ll have to build his pedestal a bit higher now!:)

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
This is great,Shane is the guy we need representing our game for so many reasons like this and not just his phenomenal game. :)

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
How classy is that? I wish more pool players who are able to be a good influence on younger people did something like that.

Efren would be perfect at the GA meetings....

"Uhh, may nam, uh, ees Efren Rays, and uh, me verra lookie. Verra lookie, yes. You all, uh, not so lookie."

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done Melissa and Shane! It is refreshing to read about pool players doing something to shed a positive light on the sport. We always hear about the negative stuff, so it is refreshing to hear these two class professionals taking time out of their day to give these kids a great thrill and to give them the hope they can be whatever they want to someday.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
What a classy gesture on Shane's part! It's not often that young people are as totally together as Shane seems. More and more, he impresses me to the hilt!
Not every famous person cares about others like he does. He'll be a hero to those kids for life! And not because he shoots great pool...