All hail the Gino Ferrari Break Cue!

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a Gino Ferrari Jump/Break cue on eBay that is awesome! It's a cheapo but man, it feels great. Definitely the best break cue I've hit with. The tip is phenolic but it doesn't feel as hard as other tips.

curlyscues

we're watching
Silver Member
atthecat said:
I just bought a Gino Ferrari Jump/Break cue on eBay that is awesome! It's a cheapo but man, it feels great. Definitely the best break cue I've hit with. The tip is phenolic but it doesn't feel as hard as other tips.
i'm with you on that one. fair price for a lot of break.

M.C.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had end of last year a 'break-clinic' at Club8 in Amsterdam. Alex Lely spent a couple of hours with us honing our technique for power-breaks. At the same time, we reviewed some 15 or so break or break-jump cues. Everyone got to break with each cue several times and had to then rate each cue for Power and Control. These then made a composite score for break and jump.

Hardly very scientific with a control group of only 12 people if I remember right, but gave pretty good idea...

It's not surprising that Predator BK2 and X-Breaker came on top...but the competition in the 'lower price' class was quite tight.
There Gino Ferrari was okay....not great...but okay. I think we even had 2 separate GF versions to try....here's a table of some selected results:

(scoring 0-10)

Gino Ferrari
BREAK 6,5
JUMP 6

Predator BK2
BREAK 9
JUMP n/a

Launcher (model 3)
BREAK 6,5
JUMP 7

Clash Black Knight
BREAK 7
JUMP 7,5

Scorpion
BREAK 6,5
JUMP n/a

X-breaker
BREAK 8,5
JUMP 8,5

VX Poison
BREAK 7,5
JUMP 8

Remember these were highly subjective opinions of those 12 present at the time....with varying levels of skill (if I had to guess from C+ players to low A). Among the cues reviewed as well were Predator BK, Maxton and a number of others but just can't remember anymore...

cheers,
Kimmo

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow, to me the Gino Ferrari was similar to the Predator BK2 and very different from the Scorpion cue which got the same score. All prospective.
For me it came down to price....$65 for the GF or $325 for the BK2. Plus, I needed a jump cue.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All hail the Gino Ferai Break Cue !

What does the Gino Ferrari J/B cue look like, where is it made, what do they cost retail and where can you buy one?

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
I think that it's just a modified Kaiser J/B with the wooden pin on the shaft... or at least made in the same factory in china...

Not a bad cue for the money at all!

Enjoy it :)

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
some pics from ebay...

106185524.jpg

206185541.jpg

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
I noticed the wood pin Deanos broke very well, interesting.

I agree, the wooden joint gives a really nice feel for the break and jump cues, the only problem is that if you think you can hook 'em like Mike Sigel the results may be harsh....:eek: (see picture bellow)

broken-joint.jpg

I glued that joint with super glue and used it as a "one piece" jumps cue and it still works fine... now it's just laying in the back of my car.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!! TAKE THAT BROKEN CUE PICTURE DOWN!!!!

I know this is the internet, but grissy gore pictures like that have no place on a family friendly website!!!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Like my Gino very much. Would be interested in buying few for resale in my small city. We don't have much for cue shops in town, in fact just a couple and the prices are outrageous.
I'd like to spread a few of these around. Any idea of which company in China may manufacture these?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Terry.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
atthecat said:
wow, to me the Gino Ferrari was similar to the Predator BK2 and very different from the Scorpion cue which got the same score. All prospective.
For me it came down to price....$65 for the GF or $325 for the BK2. Plus, I needed a jump cue.

i didn't like the BK2 at all! it breaks well enough but it spins the cueball too much for a break cue. i haven't tried a gino but i tried a hammer head and they're similar. it's the much better cue in my opinion

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Kimmo said:
At the same time, we reviewed some 15 or so break or break-jump cues. ...

Were there any Mezz Powerbreak I or II break cues in the mix? Just curious as my personal preference is Mezz (with Deep Impact shaft) over BK2, X-Breaker or Gino. For me, hard break with controllable whitey with Mezz.

SKOR - is that busted up Deano cue? How did that happen?

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
Jazz said:
SKOR - is that busted up Deano cue? How did that happen?

NOT Deano, it a Kaiser j/b cue, it happened because the owner of the cue was bending it when breaking with a "Mike Sigel style" hook break....

something like this but more extreme...

hook-com.jpg

Luc Comtois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gino Ferrari Breaking cue (butt and shaft made of Ash)

Hi Atthecat,

I just bought a Gino Ferrari breaking cue of eBay, the seller is Paul Yu (ntuhistory). The forearm/butt is made of Ash wood with 4 hardwood points and the shaft is made of Ash wood with a SS joint.

Let's hope I made a good buy, I'm looking forward to break with this one.

I'll let you know a few weeks. :thumbup:

Luc Comtois
ABO Member

JazzMatt

Registered
Just bought one of these. Think it's pretty good actually.
Can't complain about the price - a real cheapo.
Has helped my break a little bit, but I never had a power break to begin with. Something I can work on now with this cue.

Because of my wimpy break I can't tell you how good / bad this cue is compared to a BK2 and Fury, though I've tried both of those as well (sorry). I can only say all 3 scatter the balls pretty well, better than say the 1 piece house cue which they prepare at my local joint for breaking.

In a nutshell: value for money!

nympfisher

SEMI AMATURE
Silver Member
i have a friend that will probably sell you his . got it about a month ago, we both think the cheap old cutec j/b with that black tip is a better.
jmo
Carl