A simple aiming system

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The system mohrt posted is as john wrote already known gor a long time. Just with other names. Back of ball, aiming by numbers etc.

I used this and 2 other system for more than 25 years. And there are still situations where i have the simple knowledge.
It s a great system to teach especially beginners the finer points.

Again : pool is all about getting the correct perceiption. But not every system works for each human. No matter if its caused by not understanding or what ever.

If we use the words "easy" or "simple" they re not always objective , hm :) ?
I.careful by using words like easy and simple nowadays.

Sean can "see" the ghostball...me not.

I can connect " the lines" by using aiming by numbers" ...other cannot.

Cte/pro one .... same aspects.

Why just dont enjoy so many ways to do something ;-)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The system mohrt posted is as john wrote already known gor a long time. Just with other names. Back of ball, aiming by numbers etc.

I used this and 2 other system for more than 25 years. And there are still situations where i have the simple knowledge.
It s a great system to teach especially beginners the finer points. ...

Are you talking about the aiming method in post #1 of this thread? That's not "back of ball aiming" or "aiming by numbers." And it is not a geometrically correct method. Please read post #8 in this thread.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use stick aiming CP to CP while standing at arms length and then pivot to the center of the CB....this minimizes the angular error to a couple of degrees to the outside of true parallel.

the couple of degrees will cut the OB a bit thin to compensate for CIT....to some degree. Not exact but neither is achieving a true parallel shift to the center of the CB.

Just saying.

I have also used this type of a system to some success. Is it more reliable on closer shots CB to OB than distant shots? More apt to work within certain angles? etc etc. CJ mentioned in an earlier post that for a certain system that English uses, you would be more consistent and accurate if you come down with the cue rather than across. This leads me to believe that if you don't know some of the idiosyncrasies involved in doing something one way versus another you might be spinning your wheels.

I'd be interested to hear comments on this.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"you're already made them every time" - CJ Wiley

Well you see the balls appear smaller as they go farther away. So by the time they reach the pocket, they will fit. :thumbup:

The secret is to simply shoot those tiny targets in those big, big, pockets.

"Get down on every shot as if you're already made them every time" - CJ Wiley

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I have several students that prefer using the TOI to the contact point, and this is basically what you're describing here. You can't aim the center, so you have to "aim" a part of the cue ball to the INSIDE to make the necessary allowance. I don't see anything wrong with this if you prefer aiming at contact points, I prefer to "create anges" as opposed to "aiming," but "to each their own". 'The Game is the Teacher'

This is what I do, it works VERY well. So much of this (and all aiming) discussion is biased toward whatever we PERCEIVE is the way we aim. When we're all in stroke, we are doing much the same thing WRT aiming, but we describe/perceive it in our own way. I prefer to connect the CB to the OB to the pocket while standing up over the shot. Once down (already aligned to my new center, the TOI line...about 1/8 of a tip inside, give or take a little on the thickness/thiness of the hit) I accelerate my tip through the shot right at the contact point on the OB. If I must spin a ball with outside English, I use BHE, and the physics allow for the difference, sending the OB in the same line as if I'd hit it with center or inside/center. That's the way I see the shot, and it works. Maybe you see it differently, that's okay, too, if your shot goes in consistently. ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suggest calibrating the TOI (Touch of Inside) to the center of the pocket,

This is what I do, it works VERY well. So much of this (and all aiming) discussion is biased toward whatever we PERCEIVE is the way we aim. When we're all in stroke, we are doing much the same thing WRT aiming, but we describe/perceive it in our own way. I prefer to connect the CB to the OB to the pocket while standing up over the shot. Once down (already aligned to my new center, the TOI line...about 1/8 of a tip inside, give or take a little on the thickness/thiness of the hit) I accelerate my tip through the shot right at the contact point on the OB. If I must spin a ball with outside English, I use BHE, and the physics allow for the difference, sending the OB in the same line as if I'd hit it with center or inside/center. That's the way I see the shot, and it works. Maybe you see it differently, that's okay, too, if your shot goes in consistently. ;)

This way is perfectly fine and will work for many players. The issue I run into is everyone has a different perception according to past experiences, beliefs, and even physical differences with their vision.

TOI works for everyone!!! ....... differently.

It's up to the individual player to take the model that we give in the instructional material and conform it to their own style and/or personal preference. There's no "one way" to do much, even climb steps or eat with a fork, we all have our own "style".

I suggest calibrating the TOI (Touch of Inside) to the center of the pocket, this will indicate that the player is aligning to the inside of the pocket slightly. Then the player can maximize their margin of error with the "3 Part Pocket Zone".....this will make a big difference in, not only pocketing balls, in "cheating the pocket" for position as well.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just thought I'd throw this out there for good conversation. I did not make it up, it's been around since the beginning of time. Does anyone make practical use of this at the table?

The premise: find the contact point on OB through center of pocket on back of ball. Find contact point on CB through center of pocket on front of ball. Imagine a line through these two points. Aim CCB parallel to this line.

The interesting tidbit of information here is finding the contact point on the CB. Some of the similar parallel aim systems tell you to find this point by finding a line parallel to the OB shot line. This one appears to be easier, but which is correct?

mdxnKiT.png
This diagram is FOS. The contact on the cue ball should be a reciprocal of the contact on the object ball. Common sense will tell you that. Once you get the preshot specifics down there is nothing awkward about contact geometry.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to play the game this way. Imagine straight - parallel lines and then moving on perfectly straight lines. Very tough. This "system" and ghost ball aiming is something you can find everywhere. You can even find these "systems" in Mika Immonen's instructional dvd series.

I think most of us know that Mika doesn't aim this way.........
:eek:
"The most well laid plans of mice and men often go awry"......Robert Burns 1785

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Tried this and just could not line it up .
Then it goes to the can if you have any English .

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be
I just thought I'd throw this out there for good conversation. I did not make it up, it's been around since the beginning of time. Does anyone make practical use of this at the table?

The premise: find the contact point on OB through center of pocket on back of ball. Find contact point on CB through center of pocket on front of ball. Imagine a line through these two points. Aim CCB parallel to this line.

The interesting tidbit of information here is finding the contact point on the CB. Some of the similar parallel aim systems tell you to find this point by finding a line parallel to the OB shot line. This one appears to be easier, but which is correct?

mdxnKiT.png
Been there. Done that. No thanks.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for posting the simple aiming system. For me, it took 15, maybe 20 seconds and I had it working like a charm. Simple, no brainer, effective, easy to use. Deadly. THX.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

mdxnKiT.png
this works, very easy. thanks