Curious about toughest position?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to believe toughest position would involve your cueball frozen in a corner but where would be most difficult spot for the other balls?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time, I had red ball stuck on long rail, 3 diamond out of corner and I swear I couldn't hit it for about 15 min...alternating cueballs and choosing best shot.

That's my vote!

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unrelated, but I’ve seen all 3 ball freeze in the middle of game. Twice! In tournaments both times.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isnt there a tr
Unrelated, but I’ve seen all 3 ball freeze in the middle of game. Twice! In tournaments both times.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Isnt there a trnmnt rule to deal with that?

bes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time, I had red ball stuck on long rail, 3 diamond out of corner and I swear I couldn't hit it for about 15 min...alternating cueballs and choosing best shot.

That's my vote!
Been there! After both my opponnet and I failed at using it for the 2nd ball for something like 5 minutes I just gave up and tried a force-follow through it. I almost scored, but left my opponent a cookie... ;o(

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there! After both my opponnet and I failed at using it for the 2nd ball for something like 5 minutes I just gave up and tried a force-follow through it. I almost scored, but left my opponent a cookie... ;o(
Good phrase 'using it for the 2nd ball'.

I'll be using that as it is far better than how I said it...all my shots were red ball 2nd.

I never missed the 1st ball. I got that going for me. Usually!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One on each cushion a millimeter from the cue ball.
I've given this my last 8 brain cells and I conclude the player's ball on a rail with the other two close and blocking exit of players ball from said rail.

Does impossible count as tough...or does tough have to be doable?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the positions were quantized -- which they are not -- we could simply enumerate them. In the mean time, there are positions that go continuously -- in the mathematical sense -- from very hard to impossible.

I believe that Kurt Gödel, while discussing billiards with A. Einstein, mentioned t. You can look it up.
So weird...such a simple fact, "...that in a game as complicated as carom billiards, it is impossible to determine the most difficult shot".

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the positions were quantized -- which they are not -- we could simply enumerate them. In the mean time, there are positions that go continuously -- in the mathematical sense -- from very hard to impossible.

I believe that Kurt Gödel, while discussing billiards with A. Einstein, mentioned that in a game as complicated as carom billiards, it is impossible to determine the most difficult shot. You can look it up.
Is this really true or are you riffing on his incompleteness theorem?