Ever Gone Up A Tip Size?

Hirsty

I have a 11.8mm tip. I am fairly mediocre with it (or good for me). However, I was going to go up to a 12.25mm tip as I have been told that they are more forgiving. I have tried out a friend's 13mm tip and it just felt like I was using the wrong end of the cue.

Have any of you fine people gone up a size? Did you regret it or was it a boon to your game?

Thanks

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have tried going from 11.8 to 12.4 for the reasons you describe
i couldnt get used to the tree trunk visual
i went back to 11.8

Grimper

In my younger (cough) years, I'd shoot with an 11.8'ish tip. A few years ago I moved to the Revo 12.4. I'm now using the Revo 12.9 tip. It's worked for me because I think as I age a larger tip, requiring less "perfect aiming" makes sense.

On the flip side, I play on a team with a 60-something year old woman who shoots with what looks like a damn pencil. Can't be more than 10.5mm.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my younger (cough) years, I'd shoot with an 11.8'ish tip. A few years ago I moved to the Revo 12.4. I'm now using the Revo 12.9 tip. It's worked for me because I think as I age a larger tip, requiring less "perfect aiming" makes sense.

On the flip side, I play on a team with a 60-something year old woman who shoots with what looks like a damn pencil. Can't be more than 10.5mm.
how well does SHE play?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My second REAL cue was a D.Janes JOSS 4pt'r with, ready??, FOURTEEN mm shafts and ivory ferrules. Played great. I later had him take it down to a nice 'skinny' 13mm. Never have like anything under 12.5 Feels like a soda straw to me.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a 11.8mm tip. I am fairly mediocre with it (or good for me). However, I was going to go up to a 12.25mm tip as I have been told that they are more forgiving. I have tried out a friend's 13mm tip and it just felt like I was using the wrong end of the cue.

Have any of you fine people gone up a size? Did you regret it or was it a boon to your game?

Thanks
You have to experiment. I went from 13- to a Predator Fat 13.2. I enjoyed it for a while .. now using 12.4 Revo. Like any sport that uses a club, racquet , stick… the player has to see what feels best, works best for them

Last edited:

ak1975

I started with an 11.8 --> 12.4 -->12.9. I sold the 11.8 and kept the others, I like them both and don't have a favorite per say.

purple4

I went up from a 12.4 to 12.9 revo. I feel like it made my tip placement a little bit easier as it looks bigger and was easier to zero in on "one tip left" if that makes any sense. I felt like I was sometimes off with the smaller tip on my amounts. Probably just mental but I feel more accurate with the slightly larger tip. While it seems like a small amount it certainly looks huge when you are down and I get a better sense of my tip contact point. Easier to place a pencil eraser on a sphere instead of a needle consistently? I did keep the 12.4 though so that when I feel my stroke and PSR has gotten stronger I will throw it on and see what happens.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

I just use wood shafts and most of my shooting has been with 12.5 mm.
Bought a used cue and it had a 13 mm shaft. Tried it and it took a bit to get used to.
Had a cue built and the maker asked and I asked in return what do you 'normally'
use and he answered 13 mm. So, new cue has 13 mm. Works okay for me.

hank

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im about to go up to a 12.9 revo from a 12.4. Ive been having difficulty on rainy humid days, on some pretty wretched tables + old mismatched ball sets. It felt like i needed to move the ball around easier. The plan is to stick with the 12.4 on newer equipment. I play tournaments in a lot of different places

Zerksies

Too much precision is needed with a smaller shaft. About 20 years ago i was using a 12.25mm shaft. I went up to a 13mm and started pocketing balls better. Today i am using 12.4mm

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of my life I played with a 13 mm solid maple shaft. About 2 years ago I switched to a 11.75 mm low deflection wood shaft. Two months ago, I switched back to the 13 mm solid maple. I don’t think there’s a scientific difference but I have more confidence with the 13 mm and seem to pocket more balls.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
about a yr and a half ago i was at 11.5 cf

now using 13mm house cue and im getting told im" stealing" in the 1pkt league recently by the local grouch lol

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
as your vision degrades, the nose of cue shaft will increase.

ie: 14mm = bifocals (just kidding)
Just turned 72 and wear progressive bifocals and have an astigmatism.
When I play pool I wear contacts that are designed for distance and I feel like I have
20/20 vision when I wear them.
Still using a wood shaft 12.25 tip with a long taper and haven't had a problem.
I use hard pressed Triangles if that even matters to the discussion.