IS “Feathers “ in snooker the same as “warm up” strokes in pool?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
or do “feathers “ refer only to tiny strokes done before the normal length warm up strokes?

Flakeandrun

Pre-shot routine is like assessing and lining up your stroke, feathers are contemplation and assessment of required force prior to delivery when you’re down on your shot.

Or you could take the Marco Fu approach, pull back once and fire. Always thought he was such a bad ass when I was younger.

Reactions: bbb

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I watch snooker a lot. When I hear commentators say “feathers a shot or a ball” it’s always refers to a very thin cut. You hear Stephen hendry talk about feathering a ball in. He means it’s a very slim thin cut to a pocket. That’s what I’ve always known about this terminology in snooker. I’ve never heard or listened to someone using the word feathers in snooker to be meaning a preshot routine or stroke but that’s what I know personally.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watch snooker a lot. When I hear commentators say “feathers a shot or a ball” it’s always refers to a very thin cut. You hear Stephen hendry talk about feathering a ball in. He means it’s a very slim thin cut to a pocket. That’s what I’ve always known about this terminology in snooker. I’ve never heard or listened to someone using the word feathers in snooker to be meaning a preshot routine or stroke but that’s what I know personally.
"Feathering" is also used for practice strokes, as discussed here:

Greg M

I refer to the "practice strokes" when down on a shot as "feathers". Though I've only ever heard it used in snooker and English pool.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I refer to the "practice strokes" when down on a shot as "feathers". Though I've only ever heard it used in snooker and English pool.
I’ve never heard practice strokes been called feathers. As I said.. I’ve heard a million times where feathers in snooker is referred to thin cuts but that’s what I keep hearing/ maybe different areas in England use this term for practice strokes? I don’t know, nor I care.. I mean even if I heard it I wouldn’t use it. I’ll just say “practice stroke” haha

Because feather make sense when you say cut a ball very thinly; as the name suggests you feather a ball in. It just make sense

Greg M

I’ve never heard practice strokes been called feathers. As I said.. I’ve heard a million times where feathers in snooker is referred to thin cuts but that’s what I keep hearing/ maybe different areas in England use this term for practice strokes? I don’t know, nor I care.. I mean even if I heard it I wouldn’t use it. I’ll just say “practice stroke” haha

Because feather make sense when you say cut a ball very thinly; as the name suggests you feather a ball in. It just make sense
I've also heard feather being used for a fine cut on an object ball, but the term may be more popular with regards to practice strokes in areas where snooker is more popular. I'm not sure. It's not just limited to England, though. I've heard Scottish pool commentators use the term.

I know Stephen Hendry uses the term "waggles" to refer to them, though he's the only person I've heard calling them that.

snookerpot

“Feathers” in snooker are indeed the warm up strokes prior to the final stroke that strikes the ball and also often called “waggles”. You can also hear the word “feather” in reference to a soft cut shot as in “he just feathered that into the middle pocket” meaning he played a soft brushing cut shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
“Feathers” in snooker are indeed the warm up strokes prior to the final stroke that strikes the ball and also often called “waggles”. You can also hear the word “feather” in reference to a soft cut shot as in “he just feathered that into the middle pocket” meaning he played a soft brushing cut shot.
Welcome to the forum.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

when I think of "feather," I think of a ball being contacted thinly- is this correct? or does it have more to do with the pace at which a ball in struck? or both?

snookerpot

when I think of "feather," I think of a ball being contacted thinly- is this correct? or does it have more to do with the pace at which a ball in struck? or both?
More to do with the thin contact but it is most often used when the cue ball is also struck softly to produce that thin cut. Meaning, it would be unusual to hear “he feathered that in” if the player slammed in a very thin cut with the cue ball bouncing all around the cushions after contact.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More to do with the thin contact but it is most often used when the cue ball is also struck softly to produce that thin cut. Meaning, it would be unusual to hear “he feathered that in” if the player slammed in a very thin cut with the cue ball bouncing all around the cushions after contact.

great point- thanks for explaining!