Sharivari on aiming....

Blueball

I have only picked up on the Poolology system fairly recently. However, I have found, and perhaps in retrospect I should have clarified in my previous message, that when one takes into account where on the table the OB is situated at the extremes of the Box. For example, since each zone is, in effect, a circle within a box whose circumference goes through the center pocket, if one‘s OB is situated on 20/20 (the 1 ball Rack location) and you are lined up at the 30 with the Cue Ball, since this OB location would be most extremely away from the circle which would represent the 20 zone, this would leave a 2/3 (4/6ths) overhanging shot. I have found in those instances I have to aim slightly thinner since if the OB Ball was moved the edge of the circle it would be closer to the Pocket. Now of course, if the CB was similarly moved, it in essence would maintain the same angle, but therein lies the rub, imagining concentric circles and the exact points on such circle the OB were to reside would be an exercise in futility! But if we were to assume the OB was, although physically on the corner of 20/20 box (1 ball rack), actually on the circumference of the 25, then that would leave a 5/6ths overhanging (thinner) shot!

Alternatively, when I’m within the 4’ to 8” range of the OB, I pretty much follow protocol and for the most part, the system works, as the error window is wider, however on longer shots, I find aiming slightly thicker helps me. Certainly, the closer you get, it’s just easier to imagine a ghost balls center and line up to its center to get an exact spot to aim at, but yes the closer you get, aiming thinner is certainly warranted.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have only picked up on the Poolology system fairly recently. However, I have found, and perhaps in retrospect I should have clarified in my previous message, that when one takes into account where on the table the OB is situated at the extremes of the Box. For example, since each zone is, in effect, a circle within a box whose circumference goes through the center pocket, if one‘s OB is situated on 20/20 (the 1 ball Rack location) and you are lined up at the 30 with the Cue Ball, since this OB location would be most extremely away from the circle which would represent the 20 zone, this would leave a 2/3 (4/6ths) overhanging shot. I have found in those instances I have to aim slightly thinner since if the OB Ball was moved the edge of the circle it would be closer to the Pocket. Now of course, if the CB was similarly moved, it in essence would maintain the same angle, but therein lies the rub, imagining concentric circles and the exact points on such circle the OB were to reside would be an exercise in futility! But if we were to assume the OB was, although physically on the corner of 20/20 box (1 ball rack), actually on the circumference of the 25, then that would leave a 5/6ths overhanging (thinner) shot!

Alternatively, when I’m within the 4’ to 8” range of the OB, I pretty much follow protocol and for the most part, the system works, as the error window is wider, however on longer shots, I find aiming slightly thicker helps me. Certainly, the closer you get, it’s just easier to imagine a ghost balls center and line up to its center to get an exact spot to aim at, but yes the closer you get, aiming thinner is certainly warranted.

Good explanation/clarification.

If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning the Poolology book, please don't hesitate to contact me here, or on my YouTube channel or website. Constructive criticism and feedback is always appreciated.