Tips for 3c

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to replace tips, both standard wood and cf shafts.

Anybody know what hardness/ brands the current pros use?

Anybody have currently available favorites?

I was listening to commentary and there was mention that Jaspers is the only one who uses a super-hard tip....I found that somewhat surprising.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
really bro? bringing tip talk to carom?
pros use everything lol

pavlos z, also uses hard
as does michael nilsson, swed player and probably more

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to replace tips, both standard wood and cf shafts.

Anybody know what hardness/ brands the current pros use?

Anybody have currently available favorites?

I was listening to commentary and there was mention that Jaspers is the only one who uses a super-hard tip....I found that somewhat surprising.
I accidentally put on a Kamui Brown H. I'm generally lazy so didn't pop it off right away. Ended up liking it. When it wore out I bought another one but it ended up softer. Sure it would have hardened but it all went to my head and started trying other brands till I got what I was looking for hardness wise.

Point is, even with a $30 tip or whatever is charged, seems consistency is lacking. Likely different brands have different hardness Opinions.
Haven't heard of a standardized hardness scale.

Precitips at least tries to work on consistency. I believe they kind of give you a cert telling you each tips' hardness.

Mazin's belief is there should be a little give in a tip. He used to use Sniper then went to Onyx. Don't know if he changed again or not.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While there are extremely small differences in energy transmission among the range of tip hardness, the difference is generally too slight for a player to measure with a human stroke. Consistency within a given brand is important; however, maintaining a tip correctly is far and away the most important factor -- keeping the tip shaped and trimmed is vital (Herr Ceulemans played with a LePro for many years and did just fine!)

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Moori mediums on my Kilby shafts from Ron, and I've always loved them.

I have no insight into what the pros use, unfortunately.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Moori mediums on my Kilby shafts from Ron, and I've always loved them.

I have no insight into what the pros use, unfortunately.
Asking what tip a particular Pro uses reminds me of a Sang Lee story. He was watching two 0.5 players in a friendly match; one of the players asks, "What would you shoot here?" Sang Lee replied, "What would I shoot here, or what should YOU shoot here?"

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asking what tip a particular Pro uses reminds me of a Sang Lee story. He was watching two 0.5 players in a friendly match; one of the players asks, "What would you shoot here?" Sang Lee replied, "What would I shoot here, or what should YOU shoot here?"

I fell in love with billiards in 2005 and made my first trip to Carom Cafe in late 2005/early 2006, and so unfortunately never got to meet my favorite player in Sang Lee.

I swear I must own about every AccuStats VHS of him that they ever sold. At the time I was climbing smoke stacks in industrial environments at 12-16 hours/day for a flat rate of $26k/year, and so I could only afford the VHS cassettes they were offloading at fire sale prices.

Last edited:

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the old timers told me hard tips were better for carom. I’ve always stuck with that. Had issues with the kamui hards miscueing but the taom v10 helped cured that. The v10 allowed me to masse with hard tips I could barely play with. For me, the v10 upgrade in performance was amplified in the carom games especially the small. Nominal upgrade in pool outside of cleanliness, which is huge.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play all the games with Elkmaster tips. which are soft tips. Ironically, spin has never been an issue for me. especially in Carom games. I've never once in my life not been able to get enough spin regardless of tip type. but plenty of times have not been able to get enough power. meaning a hard tip would be better for 7 or 9 rail shots if they lay natural.

Lepro is probably the best bang for your buck in a tip. and they come on so many house cues!

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
specifically, the hit with a G2 soft tip on a wood shaft (OB2+ Schon shaft on a Schon butt) is quiet and solid and moves the cue ball around really well. The hit on a CF shaft (a Becue Prime M 12 mm) with a G2 soft tip plays a little spongy... but with a G2 med. tip the CF plays flipping great! Quiet (no ping sound - sounds like wood), very solid and moves the cue ball around about 10-15% easier than a wood shaft.

I now play full time with a Becue Prestige w/ Prime M 12mm with G2 med. tip.

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
specifically, the hit with a G2 soft tip on a wood shaft (OB2+ Schon shaft on a Schon butt) is quiet and solid and moves the cue ball around really well. The hit on a CF shaft (a Becue Prime M 12 mm) with a G2 soft tip plays a little spongy... but with a G2 med. tip the CF plays flipping great! Quiet (no ping sound - sounds like wood), very solid and moves the cue ball around about 10-15% easier than a wood shaft.

I now play full time with a Becue Prestige w/ Prime M 12mm with G2 med. tip.
Thanks for the reply 👍