Tor Lowry's ultra-complicated aiming system

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wasnt there some controversy between him and jimmy reid i vaguely recall ?
you have give him kudos for his instructional material is extremely well done

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Wasnt there some controversy between him and jimmy reid i vaguely recall ?
you have give him kudos for his instructional material is extremely well done
Yes, about the diamond system.

Reactions: bbb

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
He used to play a lot. Good player. You don't want any believe me.
I’ve watched enough of his videos to know he’s a solid player. It just strikes me as unusual for a solid player in the US to have nothing in Fargo - no reporting tournament play in the last decade or so.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve watched enough of his videos to know he’s a solid player. It just strikes me as unusual for a solid player in the US to have nothing in Fargo - no reporting tournament play in the last decade or so.
He's been teaching the last 15yrs at least. He played all his comp. pool pre-Fargo afaik. TL was a top midwest region player for years. Flew under the radar and was capable of beating about anybody on a good day.

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Yeah, I've run into a couple of people like that. Would be high 600s or low 700s, but nothing in Fargo. Does seem rare.

BlueRaider

Registered
Tor was in the movie business for a while. Or at least tried to break into it. I believe that's what got him into making videos for YouTube. Combining his movie production experience with his pool skills. He and Dr. Dave were the first guys to really get it right in terms of teaching pool via YouTube, and Tor was the first guy to have really high production values in his videos. I believe his first "Pool's Biggest Secrets Revealed" video was uploaded in 2012 or so, although it has been removed or reuploaded at some point.

He's also a really strong bowler: https://www.thespectrum.com/story/s...s-st-george-bowler-notch-300-game/6969377002/

jbart65

Lowry actually teaches the ghost ball method in his basic instructional videos. The Efren video was a specialty piece.

Even before I saw this video a year ago, I used to do a practice drill to try to focus on not thinking. I'd just get up to the table and fire all 15 balls in rapid fire, just barely letting the cue ball come to a stop.

The goal was to get me to stop thinking so much, let my instincts take over and just pot a lot of balls to build confidence from seeing them drop in the pocket.

I still do the drill sometimes. What I found is that I make a lot of tough shots with more consistency.

Put another way, my instinct on where to hit a ball is usually more accurate than when I consciously think about it.

Other parts of my game suffer more at that speed, of course, so I don't play like that. But I am trying to not think so much about where to hit the ball and let my instincts do the aiming.

Getting out of my own way, as the vid says.