What would be your ruling on this shot

DblGonzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a 9 ball tournament. The shooter tired to make the 9 ball with a combo shot. The 9 ball hangs in the corner pocket. The next shooter to the table shoots the 2 ball towards the 9 ball hanging in the pocket. The 9 ball falls when the 2 ball is 6" away. The 2 ball falls into the pocket and then the cue ball also falls in the pocket. I have never had anything like this to happen. The two shooters just decided to play the game over. I thought the 9 ball should have been placed back on the edge of the pocket as close as possible to the original position. Then the other shooter has ball in hand.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We had a 9 ball tournament. The shooter tired to make the 9 ball with a combo shot. The 9 ball hangs in the corner pocket. The next shooter to the table shoots the 2 ball towards the 9 ball hanging in the pocket. The 9 ball falls when the 2 ball is 6" away. The 2 ball falls into the pocket and then the cue ball also falls in the pocket. I have never had anything like this to happen. The two shooters just decided to play the game over. I thought the 9 ball should have been placed back on the edge of the pocket as close as possible to the original position. Then the other shooter has ball in hand.
By the official rules, when a ball drops late like that and has an effect on the shot, the balls are to be put back and the shot replayed by the same shooter. (He is free to shoot something else.)

I think every serious player should read through the rules at least once. The official rules of pool area available online here:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the official rules, when a ball drops late like that and has an effect on the shot, the balls are to be put back and the shot replayed by the same shooter. (He is free to shoot something else.)

I think every serious player should read through the rules at least once. The official rules of pool area available online here:

Serious players should read the rules several times, the bar bangers should read it at least once LOL