PDA

View Full Version : Meucci Cues

Jersey
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
OK...I know I'm probably going to get an ear full about this one, but as I said in a previous post, I purchased what I consider to be my first real cue...a cue/case deal from Mueller Xmas of 2003. It featured a Meucci Original cue with a black dot shaft and a Porper 2x4 case with 'Meucci' embroidered on the top pocket. I won't say what I paid, but sufice it to say I thought it was a good deal,(I had been playing with a 15 year old Cuetec Graphite), I got an APA discount and all. It's a MO-10 and is practically identical to the Gambler models of old. Anyone have advice about this cue?...

Now I've been playing for over 25 years and never really gave a lot of thought to cues. Grew up play at Loree Jon Jones' dad's place in Jersey, always used house cues.

When I got the urge to know what I was playing with all the time I bought a Cutec graphite, they were realitivley new at that time and I liked the glide on the bridge hand.

Since moving to Georgia, I've gotten into league play, (2yrs now), I play APA 8-ball as an SL-6 and I've been cruisin' the boards and checking local rooms to see what people are playing with.

Shout Out-

The Side Pocket
The Pool Room
Mr. Cue's II

Now I'm searching for my first limited production/custom cue and need some help...I'm looking at Schon, Schuler and Pechauer...any buying advice would be appreciated.

'May all the rolls go your way'

Jersey~

Jude Rosenstock
03-02-2005, 10:34 AM
OK...I know I'm probably going to get an ear full about this one, but as I said in a previous post, I purchased what I consider to be my first real cue...a cue/case deal from Mueller Xmas of 2003. It featured a Meucci Original cue with a black dot shaft and a Porper 2x4 case with 'Meucci' embroidered on the top pocket. I won't say what I paid, but sufice it to say I thought it was a good deal,(I had been playing with a 15 year old Cuetec Graphite), I got an APA discount and all. It's a MO-10 and is practically identical to the Gambler models of old. Anyone have advice about this cue?...

Now I've been playing for over 25 years and never really gave a lot of thought to cues. Grew up play at Loree Jon Jones' dad's place in Jersey, always used house cues.

When I got the urge to know what I was playing with all the time I bought a Cutec graphite, they were realitivley new at that time and I liked the glide on the bridge hand.

Since moving to Georgia, I've gotten into league play, (2yrs now), I play APA 8-ball as an SL-6 and I've been cruisin' the boards and checking local rooms to see what people are playing with.

Shout Out-

The Side Pocket
The Pool Room
Mr. Cue's II

Now I'm searching for my first limited production/custom cue and need some help...I'm looking at Schon, Schuler and Pechauer...any buying advice would be appreciated.

'May all the rolls go your way'

Jersey~

I don't see why you should start giving a lot of thought to cues now (especially after a purchase). If you like it, that's all that matters. Personally, I don't care for Meucci but there's several thousand pool players that would beg to differ.

Honestly, if you're happy with it, don't give it another thought.

scottycoyote
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
i shot for years with an old meucci 95-1 sneaky pete......still do occasionally, main cue is now a schon and very happy with it. great hit, nice balance....i say go with schon, then get a predator shaft and you have best of both.

Jude Rosenstock
03-02-2005, 10:46 AM
i shot for years with an old meucci 95-1 sneaky pete......still do occasionally, main cue is now a schon and very happy with it. great hit, nice balance....i say go with schon, then get a predator shaft and you have best of both.

Well, if you throw a Predator shaft on it, it'll play like a Predator, not a Schon.

Koop
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
If you get a Schon I wouldn't trade that shaft in. Their stock shafts are great and by the looks of your post, a switch to Predator would probably hurt your game as you have been playing so long with a regular shaft. One thing I did to my old Schon was replace the tip. I hated the stock tip it came with, miscued all over the place, but a $15 Triangle tip was all it took.

Best of luck,
Dave

woody_968
03-02-2005, 04:30 PM
I have been through alot of cues, and there is only one cue my wife ever gives me crap about selling. It was an old Meucci Gambler I sold when I quit playing for a few years :(

If you are looking into limited production cues I might suggest going ahead and looking at some custom made cues. For what you will spend on a Schon you could get into a Madison Bob or Blackheart cue (just to mention a couple) and you would have a custom.

Dont get me wrong, Schon makes a great cue and I dont think you would be unhappy with one, but there is something to be said about knowing you have a custom cue in your hands. I have heard many good things about Blackhearts and I play with one of Madison Bobs cues.

But as someone already said, if you like the Meucci dont bother switching.

Woody

scottycoyote
03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
sorry i thought in his original post he said a schon or a predator........but he said prechaur

i just use my regular schon shafts......although im thinking about gettin a predator or ice shaft to see what i think

woody_968
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
i just use my regular schon shafts......although im thinking about gettin a predator or ice shaft to see what i think

scotty, I can tell you when I used to use a Meucci I switched to the predator and I liked it, but I didnt like the Meucci shaft. The cue I play with now has a slightly firmer hit than predator and I dont think I would like replacing the shaft I now use. If you like the hit of your Schon I would be very surprised if you would like a predator shaft.

But of course I could be wrong LOL.

StormHotRod300
03-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Jersey

first off, everyone has thier own opinion and likes when it comes to Cue's, I know some people who swear by Schon or Predator or Gilbert, and so on.

I myself started with a Viking, then a Schon LTD, and now own two Meucci Originals, and wouldnt trade them for anything.

The nice thing about my Meucci's is they both play the same, so if i decided to bring one or the other to use, i dont hafta worry about having a difference in the way it plays. Although one of them has two 12mm shafts so i get a lil bit more shaft flex but thats about it. And i dont like using the 12mm shafts on a 9ft table.

Anyways, when you get the feel for playing with your Meucci you will love the way it plays. Now i have heard good things about the Black Dot shaft, so you shouldnt need to replace it anytime soon.

Ok, now if you just bought this cue, why are you looking into getting a Schon or Schuler or a Pechauer???

And as for price, who cares what you paid for the Meucci, my first one i got for 350$ was refinished and re-wrapped by Meucci, had the original shaft and two new shafts, for 350$ the second one i got, was even nicer had no wrap, was recently re-finished had two shafts and priced out at about 1000$ and the guy i got it from traded me the cue for my motorcycle that needed some work done to it.

And plus,, you figure in another 10yrs if you still have this cue, it will be a major collectors item.

Jack Flanagan
03-03-2005, 12:01 AM
have meucci originals, meucci red dots, will never have a black dot/bullseye, IMHO they shoot like crap, have shot with several,,,IMHO bob meucci made a marketing blunder when he went to the laminated shafts,,,won't buy another meucci unless it's a used original or red dot (or possibly a new, old stock)....since most all of meucci cues were mass produced, I don't see any increasing value in ten or twenty years,,,there are still a lot of older ones on the market for less than $100,,,just gotta search for them,,,,,,goodnight all ! :rolleyes: