PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Engert "The Lean Machine" visits Chicago area!

HOB Weert
03-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Hello me and Thomas Engert "The Lean Machine" will visit the Chicago area from March 17 till March 20 due to a business meeting.

Thomas is the 2004 World Pool Master Champion and of course the winner of the 2004 Challenge of Champions.

In the evenings we would like to visit a good Poolroom, where some action is going on.
Does anyone have some adresses of nice Poolrooms?

Thanks Ahead

Maurice Houben
HOB Weert
The Netherlands

JAM
03-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Hello me and Thomas Engert "The Lean Machine" will visit the Chicago area from March 17 till March 20 due to a business meeting.

Thomas is the 2004 World Pool Master Champion and of course the winner of the 2004 Challenge of Champions.

In the evenings we would like to visit a good Poolroom, where some action is going on.
Does anyone have some adresses of nice Poolrooms?

HOB Weert, I'm sure some folks on this forum will provide you with the names of the BEST rooms in Chicago area.

Those dates, though, March 17th through March 20th, are the EXACT dates of the Super Billiards Expo held in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, which is going to draw quite a few players from around the world!

It would be GREAT if you guys could come on down and check out this event. It is a MAJOR once-a-year happening which some folks wouldn't miss for anything. Vendors galore, pro players, amateur competitions, and even an action table, open to any and all!

Try to see if you can juggle your schedule. You won't be sorry! :)

Check out the website: http://www.SuperBilliardsExpo.com

JAM

HOB Weert
03-03-2005, 11:31 AM
How far is it from Chicago?

MH
HOB Weert

JAM
03-03-2005, 11:39 AM

MH
HOB Weert

Too far to drive, I'm afraid, about 11-1/2 hours according to Mapquest.Com.

This is really a MAJOR event here in the States. It sure would be splendid to see you guys be able to check it out. There will definitely be some players there you know. The Pro event is a $500 entry fee and is filling up fast, as I write. I think Thomas Engert would have a GREAT time, too, as well as you! :)

Think about it...

JAM

bruin70
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM

MH
HOB Weert

valley forge is a big event.....and it's all the way on the east coast,,,750 miles east and 12 hours by car. but philadelphia is close by.

dmgwalsh
03-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm sure that others will weigh in but here are a few pool halls:

RED SHOE BILLIARDS
12009 S. Pulaski Rd ALSIP, ILLINOIS 60658 Telephone
(708) 388-3700 John Lavin or John Zaksis; they have a straight pool league and a one pocket league. Lots of one pocket and banks played there. Billiards Digest writer George Fels plays in the straight pool league.
I've seen Nick Varner and locals, Glen "Piggy Banks" Rogers and Marco Marquez playing there in the last few months.

Pockets
1 708 371-7665
131st and Cicero
Crestwood, IL

Newer place. A couple of 3 cushion tables. Not sure what they play there.

G-cue
Morgan and Halsted
Chicago, IL
312 850-3170
Tom Karabatsos
1 847 567-7665

New Place shown in one of the recent Billiards Digest magazine. Tom Karabotsos is a pretty good straight pool player and 3 cushion, I think.

Chris's Billiards
(773) 286-4714
4637 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60630

This is an older spot that I only visited once, but I think a lot of good players go there and there is probably a lot of action there. Others will undoubtedly add info regarding Chris'.

Illinois Billiards Club is small but specializes in straight pool and 3 cushion.

http://illinoisbilliardclub.com/

I'm sure they would love to see him if possible. Dennis Walsh

HOB Weert
03-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Vallley Forge is no option for us, because we have a busy schedule during the day.
We just stay around Chicago.
Just at night we want to visit a Poolhall.

Thomas loves straight pool, he has high run of 491 :eek:
I believe that is a World Record on a 9ft table.

MH
HOB Weert

dmgwalsh
03-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Dallas West has a pool hall 90 miles west of Chicago.

http://www.rockrivertimes.com/index.pl?cmd=viewstory&cat=16&id=9362

DMGW

bruin70
03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Dallas West has a pool hall 90 miles west of Chicago.

http://www.rockrivertimes.com/index.pl?cmd=viewstory&cat=16&id=9362

DMGW

yeah,,,,and he used to play frigging great 14.1.

his two inning out vs. zuglan was a thing of beauty.

dmgwalsh
03-04-2005, 01:58 PM
yeah,,,,and he used to play frigging great 14.1.

his two inning out vs. zuglan was a thing of beauty.

Beautiful stroke. That was a great match. Ervolino, Mathews and Weenie Beanie were the commentators, I think.

I'm thinking he may still play a little straight.

Dennis

HOB Weert
03-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Well Rack em up, i would say. :D

I think we stop by Palace Billiards.

MH
HOB Weert

HOB Weert
03-16-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm sure that others will weigh in but here are a few pool halls:

Chris's Billiards
(773) 286-4714
4637 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60630

This is an older spot that I only visited once, but I think a lot of good players go there and there is probably a lot of action there. Others will undoubtedly add info regarding Chris'.

Dennis Walsh

Is that the place where they shot some takes for the Color of Money movie?

MH
HOB Weert

Bob Romano
03-16-2005, 09:00 AM
The Palace is one of the nicest stops in Chicago. It is owned by US Open 8 Ball Champion and 18 time world class champion, John Abruzzo.

In the same area as Palace, is Q Billiards on Cass Avenue in Darien, IL and 63rd Street Billiards on 63rd Street in Downers Grove, IL.

All of the places above have plenty of action.

Yes, Chris's is where they shot some of the footage for Color of Money. It is a great place to play.

Zims Rack
03-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Illinois Billiards Club is small but specializes in straight pool and 3 cushion.

http://illinoisbilliardclub.com/

I'm sure they would love to see him if possible. Dennis Walsh
This is exactly what I belonged to while living in Germany. Many of the "poolhalls" in Europe are actually PBC's, Private Billiard Clubs. I would like to open something like this someday.

Zim

dmgwalsh
03-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Is that the place where they shot some takes for the Color of Money movie?

MH
HOB Weert

Yes, it is.

I think they may have also done some scenes at the Illinois Billiard Club, mentioned earlier.

Where are you going in town? Dennis

MrLucky
03-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Vallley Forge is no option for us, because we have a busy schedule during the day.
We just stay around Chicago.
Just at night we want to visit a Poolhall.

Thomas loves straight pool, he has high run of 491 :eek:
I believe that is a World Record on a 9ft table.

MH
HOB Weert

Maurice, I would not only show you the best spots in town, Hell! I would personally chauffeur you and Tom around !!!
:D I recently saw Thomas play and was mesmerized by his focus and play! I wish I could come to Chicago but I can not ! please let us know where you will be the next time!!!
Peace PC :)

HOB Weert
03-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Where are you going in town? Dennis

Well i think it will be to Chris's and Palace Billiards if someone can give me the adres.

Maurice
HOB Weert

dmgwalsh
03-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Well i think it will be to Chris's and Palace Billiards if someone can give me the adres.

Maurice
HOB Weert

Palace is in Villa Park. Click here: http://www.abruzzopalacebilliards.com/

Chris's is in Chicago:

Chris's Billiards
(773) 286-4714
4637 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60630

Where in Chicago are you staying? Dennis Walsh

HOB Weert
03-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Thanks Dennis,

Where we are staying, i don't know yet, because the company we are visiting made the Hotel Reservations....
Let you know when i know the details, leaving in 10 hours.

Maurice

dmgwalsh
03-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks Dennis,

Where we are staying, i don't know yet, because the company we are visiting made the Hotel Reservations....
Let you know when i know the details, leaving in 10 hours.

Maurice

Maurice:

I work in downtown Chicago. My number is 312 726-8838. If you need any help or suggestions, give me a call. I'm relatively new to the pool world, but I can probably help you find things you are looking for. If you call and the receptionist asks what it is regarding, if you tell her "it's about pool", you should get right through.

Dennis Walsh

HOB Weert
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks Dennis, will do so.
Unfortunally my laisy uncle still hasn't got the tapes ready, or else i would bring them with me.

Maurice