PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Pool...Very Painful

Worminator
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I hope this is more enjoyable for the casual viewer, but for the pool player it is very painful to watch. I really wanted this to be good, but i'm not sure it will make it.

I'm hoping for for better things from No Limit 9-Ball.

Ktown D
03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
I hope this is more enjoyable for the casual viewer, but for the pool player it is very painful to watch. I really wanted this to be good, but i'm not sure it will make it.

This is pretty awful, but Rogan can play a little. Not a lot but a little.

cuejoey
03-03-2005, 08:36 PM

I'm hoping for for better things from No Limit 9-Ball. i am in the Chicago area i can't find it on tv....from 9pm CST to 932 CST......is it on ESPN ????????

The Kiss
03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I caught a bit of that...Joe Rogan can play more than a little bit...he was playing some sporty force follow 2 rail position....How about the 8 ball he chopped in..Minimally a C player..On the other hand could you imagine going thru life with a name like Honey Labrador and not being a women in comfortable shoes :D

Blackjack
03-03-2005, 09:21 PM

The pool was horrible. They should ditch the Huebel guy and get Simon Cowell to co-host with Jeanette. I think that would be interesting. The show was kind of goofy, but I did fall in love with Debra Wilson's shooting stance- her ummm, form was perfect.

landshark77
03-03-2005, 09:21 PM
i am in the Chicago area i can't find it on tv....from 9pm CST to 932 CST......is it on ESPN ????????

It was on Bravo Joey. Sorry you missed it. :(

I dunno guys...I taped it so I haven't seen the whole thing, only what I saw on commercials during Law & Order, but I liked what I saw. They made pool look fun (not that it isn't, LOL), so it may attract some people to pool who have never tried it before. I was getting kinda mad at the dumb shots, but oh well. The thing that got on my nerves the most is when Jeanette kept saying...she's shooting at the red 3 ball. Uh, what other 3 ball is there??? :confused:

AzHousePro
03-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Those pockets looked like buckets too. But then again, the show would have been really bad if no one could make a ball at all.

Also noticed they chopped up the games a bit.

Mike

landshark77
03-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Oh, BTW...what kinda cue did Rogan win??? They didn't mention any names or really show it on camera, which leads me to believe it was the blue light special at the local K-Mart. :(

JAM
03-03-2005, 09:42 PM
I liked the show.

It may have seemed elementary for Jeanette to refer to "the red 3-ball," but the average layperson and the non-pool public has no idea that the 3-ball is red. The show has to cater to ALL audiences. I would venture to guess that 95 percent (maybe more) of American viewers have no idea the 3-ball is red. :p

It's kind of like me watching a snooker game and wondering how many points the pink ball is. A snooker player would know that it's worth 6 points. I'm still having trouble remembering the colored balls in snooker and the various points because I don't get to see the game very often.

Having stated that, if they're going to call the 3-ball "red," I would have liked to have known the brand name of the Bravo cue won by the "No Fear" guy.

I thought Jeanette Lee was charming. It's only the first show, but I did enjoy it. And it's a bonus that the monies went to charity.

I wonder who the next celebs will be! I'd like to see Kiefer Sutherland, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Christine Todd Whitman from New Jersey, Senator Fred Thompson (now a star on "Law and Order," but he can play) and David Letterman as contestants. All of them can play a little bit.

I think the show highlights the "fun" part of pool as opposed to the level of play. One of the ladies looked as if she had never picked up a stick in her life.

If they could find a happy medium and have celebrities who can play a lick competing, it may be quite entertaining. All in all, I enjoyed the show! :)

JAM

Johnson
03-03-2005, 10:19 PM
over all it was ok, they could do a lot better than the guy co host, whoever? he is, i dislike jeanette but it's pretty sad when she does a better job on this show commentating than 3/4 of the people they have on espn, i wish they would of had a solid "a list" celeb on there, it goes to show that sharking isn't just done by pool players, it's done by anyone playing the game, it's like engrained into it, almost like gambling is, this will do some good for pool, but not much, make jeanette a few more bucks, it would be really good if they'd just bring on 2 celebs and 2 pro pool players or something along those lines and have them play partners, i'd rather watch celebrity poker, anyone can play/win at it, unlike pool
________
AROMED VAPORIZER (http://www.vaporshop.com/aromed-vaporizer.html)

Egg McDogit
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Watched a bit of it...I was pleasantly surprised by Joe Rogan's game...but Tom Green was irritating the hell outta me and I had to stop watching. Anyone have non-pool playing friends and get their thoughts on the show?

I woulda liked to have seen faster pool pacing (but then again I watched it more for the pool part than the celeb part) and I think at a minimum they should find people who can run 2 balls. When 3 people miss ball after ball after ball it gets tiring...and it kills the intensity of the game. - you go from rooting for Rogan to run out to going oh man is someone gonna make a ball before the next commercial break? Really do hope the show catches on tho.

peace

coreyh
03-03-2005, 11:56 PM
The show was what I expected it to be. It's a clone of Bravo's Celebrity Poker. No serious poker player watches that show to learn or see serious poker, and I don't suspect anyone on this board watched Celebrity Pool to pick up pointers.

It would be nice if they could fill all of the spaces with celebrities that have at least held a cue before. Watching someone learn is embarassing.

In the end, nice job. This show is not going to make anyone stop playing pool and it might create a little more interest in the non-pool playing portion of the world.

catscradle
03-04-2005, 05:14 AM
...but Tom Green was irritating the hell outta me ...peace

Me too, what a smuck!!!!

mjantti
03-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Me too, what a smuck!!!!

With Tom Green, I'd have never watched the show. His so irritating. Well, can't watch it anyway so missed nothing. Except I think Rogan is quite cool...

I think Tom Green is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic basket... his elevator doesn't reach the top floor...

rayjay
03-04-2005, 10:11 AM
I watched it and was amused by the show. I agree, it's similar to Celebrity Poker...if you're a poker player you're not going to learn anything and the same for Celebrity Pool. I really think they need to audition better and not accept players that just picked up a cue for the first time yesterday and got some quick instruction right before taping the show. I thought Jeanette did a great job hosting, considering what she had to work with. I agree with JAM, this is entertainment for the non-poolplaying public and may help bring newbies to the game, as well as provide some cash for charity.
rayjay :p

AuntyDan
03-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Personally I liked it for what it was. This is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting to see on American TV when I first came here from the UK, and it's absence was a sign to me of the lack of mainstream public interest in Pool.

Sure, no-one serious about the game is going to be impressed with the Pool being played, but if you put your mind to it you can learn from bad players. Efren Reyes said this in an interview a few years ago, that when he was learning to play he'd watch the bad players, who'd every so often make an incredible lucky shot. The bad player would have no idea how he'd done it but Efren would study it and learn to play it deliberately.

An example was the impossible bank shot on the 5 (played by Joe Rogan or TOm Green, I forget which) where the cue ball and 5 were close together with the 5 near the rail but the cross-corner bank was blocked by the 6. He slammed at it, which caused the 5 to jump up from the point of the rail, clearing the 6 and making the bank.

I liked the video production, (aside from the unecessary sound effects) the on-screen graphics showing the balls were excellent, especially for the 8 ball games which I've not seen before. However I did not like the seamless removal of shots from games in progress. I can see why they did it, but they should have had some visual way to indicate they had moved forward in time.

I thought Jeanette Lee did a great job, simply by being able to continually say polite and supportive things of the players, which was no mean feat. The main thing I'd like to see in future episodes is for the celebrity winner of each show to play a game against Jeanette. Having her there the whole time but never getting to see her play (aside from a few pre-set trickshots) was frustrating.

bsmutz
03-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Did anyone else notice that the table looked out of proportion? It looked to me like it was 9' long but only 4' wide.

Rackin_Zack
03-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Personally I liked it for what it was. This is exactly the kind of thing I was expecting to see on American TV when I first came here from the UK, and it's absence was a sign to me of the lack of mainstream public interest in Pool.

I too was able to appreciate it for what it was! I thought that the banter and sharking was kind of funny. It's the same reason I watch Celebrity Poker, for the comic interactions between the celebs. Talking about stupid shots or beginners, I find myself yelling at the screen when celeb poker is on too, "bet you idiot, bet!" Also, they were talking about how some of the celebs just learned poker right before playing in the show. However, it is much easier to get okay at poker than it is to get okay at pool, and easier for a beginner to beat an experienced player. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in there.

AuntyDan
03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Did anyone else notice that the table looked out of proportion? It looked to me like it was 9' long but only 4' wide.

I noticed that but am sure it was just an optical illusion caused by the camera lens. They used an unusual (for televised Pool) angle from the foot of the table with (presumably) a fairly wide angle lens to try and show as much of the room at once as possible. Clearly they were very enamoured with their set and all the stylishly dressed plastic people who were sitting around watching.

bruin70
03-04-2005, 03:37 PM
celebrity pool wasn't meant for anyone on this board.

LastTwo
03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I liked the show.

It may have seemed elementary for Jeanette to refer to "the red 3-ball," but the average layperson and the non-pool public has no idea that the 3-ball is red. The show has to cater to ALL audiences. I would venture to guess that 95 percent (maybe more) of American viewers have no idea the 3-ball is red. :p

It's kind of like me watching a snooker game and wondering how many points the pink ball is. A snooker player would know that it's worth 6 points. I'm still having trouble remembering the colored balls in snooker and the various points because I don't get to see the game very often.

Having stated that, if they're going to call the 3-ball "red," I would have liked to have known the brand name of the Bravo cue won by the "No Fear" guy.

I thought Jeanette Lee was charming. It's only the first show, but I did enjoy it. And it's a bonus that the monies went to charity.

I wonder who the next celebs will be! I'd like to see Kiefer Sutherland, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Christine Todd Whitman from New Jersey, Senator Fred Thompson (now a star on "Law and Order," but he can play) and David Letterman as contestants. All of them can play a little bit.

I think the show highlights the "fun" part of pool as opposed to the level of play. One of the ladies looked as if she had never picked up a stick in her life.

If they could find a happy medium and have celebrities who can play a lick competing, it may be quite entertaining. All in all, I enjoyed the show! :)

JAM

I heard Keifer can play pretty good. I forgot where I heard it from, but didn't he used to stake Parica and alot of other good players at the Hollywood Athletic Club?

bobroberts
03-04-2005, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=coreyh]The show was what I expected it to be. It's a clone of Bravo's Celebrity Poker. No serious poker player watches that show to learn or see serious poker, and I don't suspect anyone on this board watched Celebrity Pool to pick up pointers.

I agree completely.It should attract,"if the show makes it" a lot of new players.If that happens,then you will start to see better managed tournaments for the pros.This could open up the purses for real monies to be won.The young guns will get with the program and the older ones who dont want to conform will fade into backroom pickup games.Hey but thats"JMHO"
Bob

macguy
03-04-2005, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=coreyh]The show was what I expected it to be. It's a clone of Bravo's Celebrity Poker. No serious poker player watches that show to learn or see serious poker, and I don't suspect anyone on this board watched Celebrity Pool to pick up pointers.

I agree completely.It should attract,"if the show makes it" a lot of new players.If that happens,then you will start to see better managed tournaments for the pros.This could open up the purses for real monies to be won.The young guns will get with the program and the older ones who dont want to conform will fade into backroom pickup games.Hey but thats"JMHO"
Bob

When you put on a show as bad as that was, the problem is. The next time someone come to the guys with the money and pitch an idea relating to a pool concept. They will look back at this and that will be that. I didn't hear them say at the end of the show, "Be sure to tune in the next Celebrity pool show" This may have been the only one they taped as a test and it stunk. They may have sunk themselves before they even got started with that piece of junk and people like Green and the rest. Lets face it, it was classless trash. "Put it in my hole baby". Yea, pool should be proud.

ghost ball
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
So, who won? I fell asleep right after the first match.......

bruin70
03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
When you put on a show as bad as that was, the problem is. The next time someone come to the guys with the money and pitch an idea relating to a pool concept. They will look back at this and that will be that.,,,,,,Lets face it, it was classless trash. "Put it in my hole baby". Yea, pool should be proud.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! funny how, if you look back, NOTHING in pool has ever been done right. pool always manages to shoot itself in the foot before the start gun is fired. that's the package pool offers up whenever it tries bring its product to advertizing.

i think the optimism expressed whenever it relates to the future of pool is more out of desperation.

now,,,where's that ESPN thread to vote for barretta?

landshark77
03-04-2005, 10:24 PM
"Put it in my hole baby". Yea, pool should be proud.
While I was repulsed by that scene, it is often how the social pool player behaves....it is these people that this show will attract and these people are the general public...so it will introduce pool to more people, IMO. Maybe these people will want to play/mess around with more....maybe even see Jeanette shoot in person...all in all increases the awareness. I see type of behavior exhibited by the participants of this show on a daily basis....do I think they are dumb?? Yeah, but I'm not the one that will watch this show that frequently. Will the people that do eventually tune into ESPN to see the Pros do it??? I am willing to bet yes. JMHO

The Kiss
03-04-2005, 11:36 PM
celebrity pool wasn't meant for anyone on this board.

What are you talking about..Thats a dream of mine to Hustle some 2 bit celeb with a ton of cash.....I'm waiting to catch Ben Affleck or Paul Pierce or anybody around Boston with lots of money and no game :D ;)

Renegade
03-09-2005, 09:44 PM
tom cruise should play. saw him play in color of money and he could beat people. paul neuman too.

how about mars callahan?

Jon
03-10-2005, 12:15 AM
I would love to see Paris Hilton play pool on her reality show. She has one heck of a stroke.

:p :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :p

Classic, thanks for the giggle LOL.

pharaoh68
03-10-2005, 10:19 AM
I think a show like this is kind of mundane. It has a certain entertainment value to it for serious players in that we can tune into a t.v. show where people that are often looked up to (celebrities and such) are now on a level that is way beneath a lot of us. They are no longer someone to look up to because, at least on this platform, they are "less than stellar" players. But at the same time, the comedy of it all (the sharking, the jokes, etc.) can be a little funny.

The drawback is, when the average watcher or the non-serious player does flip over to ESPN and watch a serious match, they just might be little disenchanted by the fact that players don't talk and make jokes about "balls" and "shafts" and things like that and they just might turn away. In short, it has its positive and negative attributes. It just depends on your taste. Me personally? I like it. The pool is mediocre at best but the comedy can be a little funny.