PDA

View Full Version : "Turn the River" a review...

cuechick
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I just watched it and my first impression was that it was an even higher level production than I expected. Famke Jannsen, who plays the main character, I thought was excellent and believable. The pool scenes were pretty well done with some good pool jargon thrown in. "I'm shooting lights out." for example. Though I felt some of the angles they shot from were a bit awkward.

Without giving anything away, the ending was kind of abrupt and a little hard to believe ... esp the scene with her x, who is played by Matt Ross. Who is always good at playing nasty (he plays the evil son in Big Love).

I thought Rip Torn was also good and I loved the kid who played her son. Tony (Robles) did a great job, they could have thrown him a few more lines though! JJ, who played her big money opponent and is both a real actor and a real player (he use to manage the West Side Amsterdam) was also excellent.

Overall, it is a very good little character study of a desperate woman using what few skills she has to try and get her kid back. It is more about her than pool, but pool is a nice supporting player and I think this is far better than any other recent pool flicks.

GG11
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I actually just watched the movie with Tony two nights ago for the first time.

Tony had a bunch of lines when they filmed, but they didn't use most of them as they didn't like his voice. (He's suppose to be portraying a 20 something year old guy .... Unfortunately he's over 40!) LOL

So the voice you hear when he speaks, actually isn't his. Though it sounds like his voice if he were sucking on helium! ;)

Samiel
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I've seen this as a VOD option... may need to rent it soon!

cuechick
08-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Tony had a bunch of lines when they filmed, but they didn't use most of them as they didn't like his voice. (He's suppose to be portraying a 20 something year old guy .... Unfortunately he's over 40!) LOL

So the voice you hear when he speaks, actually isn't his. Though it sounds like his voice if he were sucking on helium! ;)

I thought it sounded a bit odd? I actually thought it would have been cooler if he never spoke at all! ... he deserves credit though for his acting... like either of JJ or Famke could ever beat Tony!!

cuechick
08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Also! You got to take a look at "The Last Shot" on the DVDs extras.. it is worth a smile!

!Smorgass Bored
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I just finished watching it a few minutes ago and I enjoyed it. I noticed in one scene, that the breaker broke by banking the cueball off the side rail in the 1 pocket game and buried the cueball in the stack (I think it was 'Duncan's' break)......

I didn't care for the ending. I mean, how can the movie possibly end without her getting her four plain donuts. That would kill me.

Doug

TXsouthpaw
08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
i liked it. Famke is hot, even when shes not made up. And they played one pocket which is a good change from every other pool movie ever made. Yeah pool wasnt the main focus but it was a big part of the movie and that is always good.

Personally i think famke should be in every pool movie :)

pooltchr
08-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I thought it was ok. Certainly better than junkies. It seemed to me like the director may have been trying too hard to create poolroom characters, and I had a hard time buying into some of them. I would give it 3 Buds on the six-pack scale.
Steve

9 Ball Girl
08-07-2008, 06:06 PM

So the voice you hear when he speaks, actually isn't his. Though it sounds like his voice if he were sucking on helium! ;)OMG, Gail, I KNEW that wasn't his voice! I had to go back a couple of times to make sure and I came to the conclusion that that wasn't Tony's voice! It was when he first spoke--at the counter when he leaves after playing Famke--that I was like, "WTF? That's not Tony's voice. Huh?" And then I must've gone back like 5 times to hear it again. I thought maybe it was a sound thing or something. I was LOLing but overall, I think Tony did a good job and then I really LOLed when Famke started to beat him and he did his "Oh well" move with the arms which I've seen lots of times. That was classic Tony!

Anywho, in my opinion, I think this was a movie about a Mom doing whatever she needed to do to get her son back with a splash of pool and poker in for good measure. Lara, I agree, I think the ending was abrupt and I wanted to see some more. I was kind of unhappy about it and like you, I believed Famke as Kailey and thought she did a great job. For me the movie wasn't great but it didn't suck either.

9 Ball Girl
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Also! You got to take a look at "The Last Shot" on the DVDs extras.. it is worth a smile!
I loved that! I think we've all experienced moments like that! LOL

StraightPoolIU
08-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I actually really liked it. I liked the fact that they used one pocket in the movie. I liked the fact that they kept most of the poolshots believeable aka no wild masses in a game one pocket or 9 ball. While the "main story" might have been her trying to get her son away from her ex husband pool played a HUGE part. With a name like turn the river I was expecting a movie based mainly around poker. In that regard I was pleasantly surprised. The only complaint I had was about the ending. I won't give it away, but it was abrupt and could have made more sense. Over all two thumbs up.

cuechick
08-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Oh I also liked the fact, that they did not make an issue about Famke's character being a female that could play.

Hunter
08-08-2008, 08:35 AM
mmmm...Famke :love2: It's always amazed me how a woman could sweat like she does and look that good doing it!

It was a weird ending, though????

GG11
08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
OMG, Gail, I KNEW that wasn't his voice! I had to go back a couple of times to make sure and I came to the conclusion that that wasn't Tony's voice! It was when he first spoke--at the counter when he leaves after playing Famke--that I was like, "WTF? That's not Tony's voice. Huh?" And then I must've gone back like 5 times to hear it again. I thought maybe it was a sound thing or something. I was LOLing but overall, I think Tony did a good job and then I really LOLed when Famke started to beat him and he did his "Oh well" move with the arms which I've seen lots of times. That was classic Tony!

Anywho, in my opinion, I think this was a movie about a Mom doing whatever she needed to do to get her son back with a splash of pool and poker in for good measure. Lara, I agree, I think the ending was abrupt and I wanted to see some more. I was kind of unhappy about it and like you, I believed Famke as Kailey and thought she did a great job. For me the movie wasn't great but it didn't suck either.

You're so funny! Didn't he sound like a prepubescent child? LOL.

And yes, the move where he throws up his hands .... yeah, TR didn't have to reach too far for those acting skills!

It was a good movie. I too did not like the ending, but hey wouldn't be the first ending I didn't like. Did anyone notice the 14.1 break, even though they were playing 1 pocket??

9 Ball Girl
08-08-2008, 09:41 AM

And yes, the move where he throws up his hands .... yeah, TR didn't have to reach too far for those acting skills!

It was a good movie. I too did not like the ending, but hey wouldn't be the first ending I didn't like. Did anyone notice the 14.1 break, even though they were playing 1 pocket??"He" sounded like it was muffled or something. It was just strange. Did his lips even move??? I cracked up. The voice sounded more like him when he said, "You shoot good game" or something like that when he was playing the older gentlemen.

I noticed that break and was wondering if it's feasible for 1 Pocket. Hmmm. I wished they would've added some Tony shots or something in the extras.

craigmac
08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
just watched it last night and was very disappointed. the kid's acting was the most believable part of the movie. i thought the scene where the frat boy decks her in the jaw could've been done a little different. does this really happen? and to women? another reason why pool has such a bad name.

cuechick
08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
i thought the scene where the frat boy decks her in the jaw could've been done a little different. does this really happen? and to women? another reason why pool has such a bad name.

I thought that was a bit over the top myself. I think guys can be jerks like that but to actually hit a woman was a bit much.

!Smorgass Bored
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
just watched it last night and was very disappointed. i thought the scene where the frat boy decks her in the jaw could've been done a little different.

does this really happen? and to women?

Sure, I've decked a few of them.

Doug
(and a few have decked me) :)

!Smorgass Bored
08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh I also liked the fact, that they did not make an issue about Famke's character being a female that could play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqDjelpL9o4

!Smorgass Bored
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I thought that was a bit over the top myself. I think guys can be jerks like that but to actually hit a woman was a bit much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJwaxSF6fSc

hackerda
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM

It was a good movie. I too did not like the ending, but hey wouldn't be the first ending I didn't like. Did anyone notice the 14.1 break, even though they were playing 1 pocket??
I was thinking the same thing about the 14.1 break. I didn't care for the ending either.

Dean:D

Sweet Marissa
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
No captions :( *sigh*

Patrick Johnson
08-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Did anyone notice the 14.1 break, even though they were playing 1 pocket??

There is a legitimate one-pocket break that looks like a 14.1 break. Buddy Hall uses it if I'm not mistaken.

The kick-into-the-side-of-the-rack break is also legitimate. I've seen both of these breaks used in professional one-pocket tournaments.

pj
chgo

mnorwood
08-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I just watched it and my first impression was that it was an even higher level production than I expected. Famke Jannsen, who plays the main character, I thought was excellent and believable. The pool scenes were pretty well done with some good pool jargon thrown in. "I'm shooting lights out." for example. Though I felt some of the angles they shot from were a bit awkward.

Without giving anything away, the ending was kind of abrupt and a little hard to believe ... esp the scene with her x, who is played by Matt Ross. Who is always good at playing nasty (he plays the evil son in Big Love).

I thought Rip Torn was also good and I loved the kid who played her son. Tony (Robles) did a great job, they could have thrown him a few more lines though! JJ, who played her big money opponent and is both a real actor and a real player (he use to manage the West Side Amsterdam) was also excellent.

Overall, it is a very good little character study of a desperate woman using what few skills she has to try and get her kid back. It is more about her than pool, but pool is a nice supporting player and I think this is far better than any other recent pool flicks.
Just tried to watch it.:barf: I made through about 15 minutes of shooting gallery. I made through 22 minutes of Turn the River before I had to shut it down. What is it with writers these days? With all the technology movies keep getting worse.:shrug: Thumbs wayyyyy down!!!

Sweet Marissa
08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
The acting was okay. You could tell the extras weren't seasoned, especially the frankendouche altercation scene. That was too melodramatic.
I didn't hear that whole scene because there were no captions. I heard the word "boyfriend" so I assume the girls were on dates with these guys. I've never seen a dude just flat out say "Get the F outta here" to a random chick like that. Especially since she was walking back with the girls they were there with. How do they know they weren't old friends or something?

I also have no idea what Tony/Ralphie said. I think they could have gotten away without dubbing his character's voice since it was never established how old he was supposed to be.

Overall a good film to watch and I'm glad I bought it.

Shooting Gallery and Junkies still suck.

derekdisco
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
BET 40 THOUSAND! Man marissa how can you say junkies sucked??I just paid 5 thousand for your shot, now its my shot!

Justlovecues
08-09-2008, 10:55 AM
"He" sounded like it was muffled or something. It was just strange. Did his lips even move??? I cracked up. The voice sounded more like him when he said, "You shoot good game" or something like that when he was playing the older gentlemen.

I noticed that break and was wondering if it's feasible for 1 Pocket. Hmmm. I wished they would've added some Tony shots or something in the extras.

Wendy, I haven't seen the movie yet but was hoping for some of Tony's shots in the 'extras' as well. Glad you mentioned there isn't any. Funny! back in Febuary, a movie production crew went into Soho billiards and literally took over the spot where my table was. I was really pissed and asked to speak to the production manager. He turned out to be a really nice guy and paid for the table time. Tony was giving a lesson on the table Gail usually practices on. I mentioned to the production manager that fellow (Tony) down there is probably one of the best players in New York City and would be a great consultant to his movie if needed.

jrt30004
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
good god. did i see the same movie some of you did. i am sorry, famke is hot but she needs to go back to playing comic book characters. pool hall junkies was an oscar winner compared to this. who wrote the script, a ten year old. why did they say one line............pause............say another......bad music...........this should be dramatic.......................two pool shots....................line..................... .....kill me now. i want the last hour of my life back. i need to watch the hustler or color of money just to feel clean again.

Johnny "V"
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Love/Hate movie. I would bet that if we posted 2 polls asking whether you liked the movie and what your age is we would probably see some simularities. Younger people of today need the 5 minute chase scene in the beginning of the movie. The GTA Generation can't handle the develoment or at least the attempt of generating char's.

One of my favorite movies is Thief (1982, James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Jim Belushi) and many people my age (40ish) like the movie because it really was one the first of its type. (Michael Mann who directed it got the idea for Miami Vice from it) Anyway show it to a GTAGen and they say "Eh, so whats the point?"

I think it was a nice change from the typical seedy I am going to f' you before you f' me type of pool movie.

I still say that if the industry wanted to make a ton of money they should focus on how we all got hooked into the game/sport. Have them invest in a movie with a Karate Kid (without a corny Ralph Machio char) type movie. A movie based on a kid that is interested in pool and starts to hang out in a place. Gets better by watching or getting to know some of the better players (more char development). Build on that into tournaments and the thill of competition. Throw in a Hal Houle char to teach the kid the right and wrong with the world of hustling (couple of ass kickings from the local hustler who ends up meeting him in the final amature match that is the cross roads in the kids life between mediocraty or professional status). Pepper in some wholesome family values with a dark underbelly of a disfunctional family (so the degenerates can relate) and the peer pressure of drugs, babes and gangs. Would have been great to get leanardo D to play the part of the kid a few years ago but I am sure nick or disney is full of teen heartthrobs that could take his place. Have a huge casting party afterwards and send some hookers to the movie reviewers and blammo... Billiards is back on top again.

Something upbeat like Saturday night fever meets Karate Kid.

Who wants to pay me to write it??? :)

highrun55
08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I bought it , I liked it, although it needed a little better ending.
Well it wasn`t meant to be a pool movie.
Everyone around here loved Junkies, mostly the younger crowd.

Waiting for my Friend Danny Basavitch`s movie
And what happened to Jennifer Baretta`s movie ?

highrun55

jasonlaus
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Love/Hate movie. I would bet that if we posted 2 polls asking whether you liked the movie and what your age is we would probably see some simularities. Younger people of today need the 5 minute chase scene in the beginning of the movie. The GTA Generation can't handle the develoment or at least the attempt of generating char's.

One of my favorite movies is Thief (1982, James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Jim Belushi) and many people my age (40ish) like the movie because it really was one the first of its type. (Michael Mann who directed it got the idea for Miami Vice from it) Anyway show it to a GTAGen and they say "Eh, so whats the point?"

I think it was a nice change from the typical seedy I am going to f' you before you f' me type of pool movie.

I still say that if the industry wanted to make a ton of money they should focus on how we all got hooked into the game/sport. Have them invest in a movie with a Karate Kid (without a corny Ralph Machio char) type movie. A movie based on a kid that is interested in pool and starts to hang out in a place. Gets better by watching or getting to know some of the better players (more char development). Build on that into tournaments and the thill of competition. Throw in a Hal Houle char to teach the kid the right and wrong with the world of hustling (couple of ass kickings from the local hustler who ends up meeting him in the final amature match that is the cross roads in the kids life between mediocraty or professional status). Pepper in some wholesome family values with a dark underbelly of a disfunctional family (so the degenerates can relate) and the peer pressure of drugs, babes and gangs. Would have been great to get leanardo D to play the part of the kid a few years ago but I am sure nick or disney is full of teen heartthrobs that could take his place. Have a huge casting party afterwards and send some hookers to the movie reviewers and blammo... Billiards is back on top again.

Something upbeat like Saturday night fever meets Karate Kid.

Who wants to pay me to write it??? :)

Karate kid 3. Lets put Shanelle in this role since she's hated by so many. We could have her beat a version of Sweetness at the final tournament since she hates her the most. Sweetness could have come from a trailer park & her only way out is pool. Sad think is after years of playing she's still a trailer park girl. Gotta go.

cmuniz83
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I got the movie and watched it with my boyfriend last weekend. I think it was more of a chick flick than anything. Don't get me wrong some parts of the story were good, but overall I think there should have been more pool. I also believe that the filming of the actual matches could have been more fulfilling. It seemed very choppy at times.

Pool Hall Junkies was a descent movie, but the Color of Money will always be on top.

I believe Hollywood has knowledge of the game I just don't think that they know how to put two and two together to make it an actual reality. My boyfriend talks about pool non-stop at times and whenever I hear names and stories now I understand some of the concepts.

I believe, every player is different in their mannerisms just like any other "professional" in life. I just think Hollywood washes the truth from what I've heard (again my boyfriend). I think some of the stories I've heard in the past would've been better than the overall billiard story line in this film.

Chick Flick wise okay movie, and billiard wise it was okay, but far from great.

Sweet Marissa
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Karate kid 3. Lets put Shanelle in this role since she's hated by so many. We could have her beat a version of Sweetness at the final tournament since she hates her the most. Sweetness could have come from a trailer park & her only way out is pool. Sad think is after years of playing she's still a trailer park girl. Gotta go.
I don't even know the girl, much less hate her. How does your inane, little mind twist information so badly? Stop trying to derail threads with your off-topic, idiotic posts.