PDA

View Full Version : Murnak web site gave me a Trojan Horse

JimS
08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I picked up a serious Trojan Horse virus from the Murnak site when I click on one of the type of cases... can't remember which one but the icon showed a carved version for $1500 and the uncarved was, I think, $750.

My computer guy has put in about 4 hrs and still can't get rid of the thing. I don't have the email address to tell Murnak so I'm putting it on this site so folks can be cautious.

TellsItLikeItIs
08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I picked up a serious Trojan Horse virus from the Murnak site when I click on one of the type of cases... can't remember which one but the icon showed a carved version for $1500 and the uncarved was, I think, $750.

My computer guy has put in about 4 hrs and still can't get rid of the thing. I don't have the email address to tell Murnak so I'm putting it on this site so folks can be cautious.
Fire your computer guy.

Added --> Norton has good protection. If a virus happens to get past it they will remove it for you for a small fee. Guaranteed plus 30 day guarantee.

WilleeCue
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Added --> Norton has good protection. If a virus happens to get past it they will remove it for you for a small fee. Guaranteed plus 30 day guarantee.

Now that is some guarantee!

They sell you software to stop a virus from getting into your computer.
If one does get in they will charge a small fee to remove it ... :eek:
Who pays shipping charges?

What a deal! LOL

I think I will stick with OSX ...:grin:

TXsouthpaw
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Fire your computer guy.

I agree. I could build a new computer in less time than that.

Nostroke
08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
How does this happen? Does a hacker have to get control of the site (password etc.) or can he just 'drop one off'. Im sure Jim didnt put it there.

JB Cases
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Well that sucks! I use Kapersky Anti Virus and it stops anything from loading onto my machine without my permission. The best thing to do is to get a good AV and learn what it does and set it accordingly.

I think that the only way for someone to put a virus on my webserver would be to crack my FTP login or have access to the whole server. I have to say that I use Host Gator and they are religious about checking their security - they even make me change passwords periodically as a additional security measure.

I won't use anyone but HostGator to host my sites now.

All JB Cases are virus free :-) (sorry Jim, it was too good to pass up)

Seriously that BLOWS when your website is hacked and viruses are put on it. I hope that this is NOT the case with Jim's website and if it is I hope that they can fix it quickly.

Quesports
08-07-2008, 05:25 PM
You need protection!!! I got windows live onecare. Seems to do the trick for me. Cause I always backup my files also every month. REP for the heads up!!
Good Luck!

TellsItLikeItIs
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Now that is some guarantee!

They sell you software to stop a virus from getting into your computer.
If one does get in they will charge a small fee to remove it ... :eek:
Who pays shipping charges?

What a deal! LOL

I think I will stick with OSX ...:grin:
Was that an attempt at sarcasm Willee? If so dont give up your pen making business.

If you knew anything about Computer Virus you would know that new ones are being written every day by the thousands. They are normally discovered only after they have infected a computer and are reported.

How can any virus protection service provide protection against it until it is reported?

JB Cases
08-07-2008, 06:06 PM
All the Virus Protection companies maintain "open" computers around the world to trap new viruses. It's a game that the virus protection companies are winning in my opinoin.

I wish I could get off of the Windows platform but honestly I haven't found a Linux distribution yet that works well enough for a neophyte like me. I was real happy to use UBUNTO and felt it was the one. However it crashed hard when I did a point and click "automatic update" and I havent used it since. I really liked it much better than Windows and it was defintely VIRUS and TROJAN free.

Even though I feel pretty protected with Kapersky I still feel funny every time my machine hiccups and wonder if it is infected. :-(

march11934
08-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Get a Mac :smile:

bruceree
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM

I'm tired of people thinking that will solve your virus problems. OS X still has viruses, and will continue to gain them as Mac's get more and more popular.

Simple solution. Back up your computer every month, don't keep personal information on your computer - if you have to then encrypt it.

And if you get a virus just reload your backup.

tpdtom
08-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I got a Trojan 2 times from the old Murnak site. I always entered via the F.I.S.T. Holster main page. I informed Jim of this twice. My FREE AVG Antivirus quarantined that trojan both times and I later deleted it. After each visit and the subsequent eradication I scanned with AVG, Windows Defender, and Norton's free scan utility. I also re-added the free version of Zonealarm's Firewall.

For what it's worth, I had these problems while I was waiting for an order from Jim. The order was many months behind and I returned to the site just to get the phone number to call to check on my order. I was a bit flabergasted that I got the Trojan again AFTER I had informed him about it. Go figure.

By the way, the case is gorgeous but the service and time frame was atrocious IMHO, just like my holster orders were. I don't understand what is soooooo hard about doubling or tripling your estimated time to produce a consumer product, especially when you require the customer to pay 100% in advance. What's wrong with that picture ? Still, I love Murnak cases and have two. Fair and balanced...Tom

JB Cases
08-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Yeah that's easy to say. Then the other day my buddy was working on a database issue and was trying to get into an obscure database file. With his Mac it was hopeless. With my PC i downloaded a shareware database conversion/reader in five minutes and five minutes later the data was extracted and put into the new database.

Macs are great but they are limited in a lot of ways by the fact that there isn't a whole lot of third party software for them. Same thing with Linux. Now, perhaps MAC and Linux people are more productive since they aren't spending all day installing and uninstalling software :-) I can see that.

One day - HOPEFULLY - we will all be connected all the time and never worry about the OS. Things we need to do as far as personal computing will just BE THERE on any box we happen to be at. I will be happy for the day I can sit down at any terminal, put in my password and have my personal computing environment just show up ready to go.

Ahh dreams. I am sure I will be telling my kids about how I had to install the operating system every month and they will roll their eyes at the absurdity of it.

kingwang
08-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I too got this trojan from Murnak's site, but my antivirus software caught it.

And Macs do not solve the problem at all, except for maybe the fact that the population of Mac users are so small compared to Windows that nobody bothers to write viruses for them:p

<---- CS Major.

cbi1000
08-08-2008, 12:38 AM

tap tap tap, I AGREE!

s0lidz
08-08-2008, 01:03 AM
There is no need to spend so much as a dime on anti-virus software. There is excellent software available for free, and will protect your computer better than Norton.

There are internet message boards that are dedicated to removing harmful files/programs from your computer. Find one and they will help you get your computer 100% clean. These services are free of charge.

http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/

Jimmy M.
08-08-2008, 02:03 AM
I agree. I could build a new computer in less time than that.

Depending on the virus, building a new computer could be far less work.

Jimmy M.
08-08-2008, 02:43 AM

WilleeCue
08-08-2008, 05:27 AM

And Macs do not solve the problem at all,

What problem?
I have ran Mac's since they first came out.
Built and still use PC's also.
(I consider them as tools and use them accordingly)
I have NEVER had any issue with my Mac on the internet.
In the Mac world ... there is no problem ... yet! ... :ok:

WilleeCue
08-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Was that an attempt at sarcasm Willee? If so dont give up your pen making business.

You are right ... I suck at sarcasm ... :ignore:

Haven't made a new pen in months.
To busy with pool cues.

Fast Lenny
08-08-2008, 05:44 AM
There is no need to spend so much as a dime on anti-virus software. There is excellent software available for free, and will protect your computer better than Norton.

There are internet message boards that are dedicated to removing harmful files/programs from your computer. Find one and they will help you get your computer 100% clean. These services are free of charge.

http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/
I use AVG and its free,go to www.download.com and you can get lots of goodies for nothing,my computer runs well,no viruses or anything and the stuff I have on it catches everything. :D

ScottW
08-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Does the Murnak site have ads on it? Ads that cycle from page to page, for other companies/products?

That's the source of most viruses on websites - when site owners sign up with an ad-banner service. Those services don't always screen the ads they push out to the sites they serve ads to.

Black-Balled
08-08-2008, 06:26 AM
So where can I download this virus? Is it free or is it flea-bay?

Norton: :oink: :ignore: :nono:

Steve Ellis
08-08-2008, 07:19 AM

And Macs do not solve the problem at all, except for maybe the fact that the population of Mac users are so small compared to Windows that nobody bothers to write viruses for them:p

<---- CS Major.
Exactly, why bother.
Steve. <== Computer programmer for 30+ years and ready to retire.