PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in sandiego?

Chris Byrne
08-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I am leaving for sandiego tomorow night for a few days. I will be visiting a few cuemakers and wood suppliers and doing some fishing too. I was hoping to check out some poolhalls if I can find the time. Any recomendations on where to go? I will be staying at the bayside holiday inn right by point loma marina. Thanks Chris.

8ballEinstein
08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I am leaving for sandiego tomorow night for a few days. I will be visiting a few cuemakers and wood suppliers and doing some fishing too. I was hoping to check out some poolhalls if I can find the time. Any recomendations on where to go? I will be staying at the bayside holiday inn right by point loma marina. Thanks Chris.
From Point Loma, you can head north to the community of Pacific Beach and be at Society Billiards in about 10 minutes. Going south to downtown SD, there is Jolt'n Joe's at 4th and J (if I remember right). Neither of these two places have top-flite players hanging out but they are friendly rooms.

For some serious players, you have to jump on the I-8 and head east for about 15 miles and visit On Cue, in La Mesa (Jackson and Fletcher Prkwy).

There are other rooms in town, including the Hungry Stick and College Billiards. These aren't too far from Point Loma.

Have fun in beautiful San Diego.

av84fun
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
From Point Loma, you can head north to the community of Pacific Beach and be at Society Billiards in about 10 minutes. Going south to downtown SD, there is Jolt'n Joe's at 4th and J (if I remember right). Neither of these two places have top-flite players hanging out but they are friendly rooms.

For some serious players, you have to jump on the I-8 and head east for about 15 miles and visit On Cue, in La Mesa (Jackson and Fletcher Prkwy).

There are other rooms in town, including the Hungry Stick and College Billiards. These aren't too far from Point Loma.

Have fun in beautiful San Diego.

I've been to On Cue. It's a good room with good equipment.

Regards,
Jim

hilla_hilla
08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
On Cue Billiards is my personal favorite room and where I shoot out of. They have a great Monday night tournament if you are in town that long. There are always a few kids and a few girls that are willing to play to:wink: .

Not 100% certain, but I think College Billiards has a 9 ball tournament on Wednesday nights.

On weekends off I sometimes go to Nice Rack in El Cajon. They have a 8 ball tournament on the 9 foot table on Friday nights and on Saturday nights they have a 9 ball tournament. They don't get to bad a turn out and every once in a while there's a little action there to.

If you are looking to go out and have a night out on the town, Society Billiards in Pacific Beach is your best bet or if you are downtown, the old Gaslamp Billiards, now Jolt n Joes still has a few upstairs tables. Not sure but I heard about some other place downtown having tables to. Parking is to much of a hassle so I don't frequent down there to often.

Hope this helps!

Impact Blue
08-08-2008, 12:48 AM
On Cue, for sure.

Good action there, and the service is friendly. Snooker-cut table if you're looking for golf.

Chris Byrne
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the replys. I made it up to see Martin bick, Ariel Carmelli, and Kent davis in their shops and got to see the town with Martin. We made it to hardtimes for a few games too. I embarased myself trying to play a few games and we left the place with my shirt over my head so no one would see me there. (LOL not really but in retrospect, not a bad idea)
Anyway, I had a great time and bought some fantastic wood while there. I will post some pics of some amboyna burl I got when it arrives. I spent longer in LA than I thought I would so I did not have time to hit any rooms in sandiego. I could of gone to check out some on wed morning but I was still bobing from being on the boat for 2 days and had to catch a plane at 2:30 pm so I did not think much would be going on. I will keep the names and check out some rooms next trip. I will post before I come and would like to meet up with some cali az'ers and shoot some. Chris.

MattS
08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Ok WAY more important question then wood or pool.... What did you catch while fishing. I assume some yellows and dodos??

APA7
08-15-2008, 04:03 AM
I heard College Billiards iz in a crappy neighborhood :( :confused:

Brian

hilla_hilla
08-15-2008, 05:36 AM
I heard College Billiards iz in a crappy neighborhood :( :confused:

I hate bad mouthing College because back when Mark Griffin owned it, I played a lot of pool there. Now-a-days, I wouldn't leave my car in the back parking lot for more than 10 minutes if I could help it.

A few years back, my friend Peter aka "Cut Throat" has his neck sliced and was stabbed in the back while smoking a cigarrette:angry: . Another friend had his motorcyle stolen sitting right in front of the pool hall:frown: !

I think a billiard champion now owns it. I think his name is Pedro. He is VERY nice and has made modifications since purchasing it (3 owners later). I hear that every year he has a 3 cushion tournament that has several players from all over the US. Pedro and his wife changed the menu and they also serve GREAT Mexican food:thumbup: .

Chris Byrne
08-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Ok WAY more important question then wood or pool.... What did you catch while fishing. I assume some yellows and dodos??
Between myself, my dad and my brother we ended up with 150lbs of yellow fin,blue fin and dodo. It was a good trip. We are thinking the keys or mexico next year for a change of pace. Chris.