PDA

View Full Version : Boring Points

chokenstroke
08-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I have just retired, :dance: bought a cue lathe and a cnc machine, and am now ready to make pool cues for some extra pocket cash :happydance:

What is with all the veneered half splice points?
So boring. :boring2:
The only difference is the color and order of veneers. Other than that they all look the same.

Thank the lord I has enough sense to buy a cnc machine so I can add some real creativity to the cues I will make.

So I have bought a load of exotic wood and am waiting for it to age properly. From what I read here I should have bought it years ago. Meanwhile, I have been talking to Eddie Wheat about working in his shop part time to learn what I need to know about making and marketing cues.
I doubt it will be all that hard even for a retired clown to make a killer cue that hits a ton.

Black-Balled
08-08-2008, 08:43 AM
aRE YOU REALLY A RETIRED cLOWN?

You should have posted this in the Ask the Cuemakers section. We don' know nothin abouut nothin here.

StevenPWaldon
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Wow, clowns retire?

Hey, don't knock points. I have a 25+ year old traditional Huebler (4 points) that gets more offers than my custom Espiritu.

chokenstroke
08-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes I am, or rather was, a real clown with the circus and before you ask I DID NOT work for peanuts! :D
But now I want to do something completely different that dont require all that traveling around and putting up with those spoiled little brats.
So I have chosen to become a cue maker.

Dont you need to have made at least one cue to post on the cue makers forum?

Black-Balled
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Yes I am, or rather was, a real clown with the circus and before you ask I DID NOT work for peanuts! :D
But now I want to do something completely different that dont require all that traveling around and putting up with those spoiled little brats.
So I have chosen to become a cue maker.

Dont you need to have made at least one cue to post on the cue makers forum?

Nice! What circuses did you work for?

I said 'Ask the Cuemaker' not "I'm already a cuemaker" sections.

chokenstroke
08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Nice! What circuses did you work for?

To many to list.
I was a real rolling stone up until about fifteen years ago.
Boy, could I tell you some stories, some even are pool related.
Some can never be told.

chokenstroke
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, clowns retire?

Hey, don't knock points. I have a 25+ year old traditional Huebler (4 points) that gets more offers than my custom Espiritu.

What, you think a clown's job is easy?
It is a lot of work getting hit in the face with a pie, falling down stairs, and getting the short stick all the time just for a laugh.
Then there are the spoiled brats. Of course we retire.

Yeah but really, points are points and veneers are different only in color and number. They all have the same shape.
After you have seen 100 of them you have seen just about everything traditional points can offer.
CNC on the other hand is limitless in possibilitys and fresh designs.

Not knocking points but I just cant get excited about them anymore.
If you prefer them to cnc that is cool by me :wink:

PoolBum
08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
We really need a retired clown cuemaker section.

chokenstroke
08-08-2008, 06:06 PM
We really need a retired clown cuemaker section.

Yeah, kind of funny but in an odd twisted way isn't it?
A real clown making pool cues.

RRfireblade
08-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Points in cues has to do with the way cues used to be made. There aren't many ways to joint 2 pieces of wood as good as a full splice , which is what you see when you see a pointed cue and there are not alot of people in the world that can do full spiced and veneers cues to the standards most people expect today.

Nowadays cues are rarely made that way but the look and style still has a HUGE following and the ability to do it well still has a ton of merit.

In all due respect , CNC inlayed points are never going impress many people who understand the methods behind both.

As for designs, CNC or not , that are Tons out there that do not include points of any kind. You might want to look around the gallery forum if you haven't seen cues with inlays besides points. :)

icem3n
08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
What is with all the veneered half splice points?
So boring. :boring2:

The splices stiffened up the forearm.

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Points in cues has to do with the way cues used to be made. There aren't many ways to joint 2 pieces of wood as good as a full splice , which is what you see when you see a pointed cue and there are not alot of people in the world that can do full spiced and veneers cues to the standards most people expect today.

Nowadays cues are rarely made that way but the look and style still has a HUGE following and the ability to do it well still has a ton of merit.

In all due respect , CNC inlayed points are never going impress many people who understand the methods behind both.

As for designs, CNC or not , that are Tons out there that do not include points of any kind. You might want to look around the gallery forum if you haven't seen cues with inlays besides points. :)

So you are saying a merry widow cue can never be as good as a cue with points?

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 01:01 AM
The splices stiffened up the forearm.

You keep right on believing that, Johnny.
It cant hurt anyone but you.

jasonlaus
08-09-2008, 06:54 AM
You should have stayed a clown because now you WILL BE WORKING FOR PEANUTS. Oh and guess what else, you will have to deal with MORE SPOILED BRATS. Good luck & welcome.:thumbup:

Ballistic Billiards
08-09-2008, 07:25 AM
You can use points or you can use a bolt.
It's all the same :thumbup:

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 07:33 AM
You should have stayed a clown because now you WILL BE WORKING FOR PEANUTS. Oh and guess what else, you will have to deal with MORE SPOILED BRATS. Good luck & welcome.:thumbup:

LOL :rotflmao1: Now that is good humor! Rep for you when I can send some.

RRfireblade
08-09-2008, 07:43 AM
So you are saying a merry widow cue can never be as good as a cue with points?

I'm saying it that based on your comments , it sounds like you need to learn a little bit more about cue construction and design. ;)

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm saying it that based on your comments , it sounds like you need to learn a little bit more about cue construction and design. ;)

Yes I agree, there is a lot to learn to go from basic to advanced cue making skills. I consider myself at the basic level at this time.

Black-Balled
08-09-2008, 10:46 AM
To many to list.
I was a real rolling stone up until about fifteen years ago.
Boy, could I tell you some stories, some even are pool related.
Some can never be told.

Nice. I work in rings myself.