PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Elliott

frankncali
08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
With all the talk recently about the banking methods and systems it reminded me of Vernon.

For those that never saw him play Vernon was a very strong player. Buddy told me once that Vernon was near the top but rarely showed his true speed. He was a good hustler.

As for the system stuff Vernon tried to explain to me and a friend a couple thoughts of his on banking and they were kind of weird. We were supposed to meet up the next day but we ended having to leave town so I never got the goods.

Vernon said though that there were set ways to make banks. He said that all the good banks know this and that Eddie Taylor used a system similiar to his. Vernon said that on most cross-side or cross-corner banks there was ONE spot to shoot for. You did need to adjust at times but it would always get you in the ball park.

Good guy and seemed to have a ton of pool knowledge. He showed us his hustling shot where he takes a ball on the spot and then puts the cueball almost hung up in a corner on the same end. He then tell you which pocket to shoot it to. He cut it backwards into the other corner on the third shot !! I didnt think it was possible.

Any have any info on Vernon or any good stories??? Jay you must have run across him a couple times??
What was his true speed?

gpeezy
08-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I've always heard he was a great hustler. His speed probably was never known.

vagabond
08-08-2008, 08:23 PM
He cut it backwards into the other corner on the third shot !! I didnt think it was possible.

Any have any info on Vernon or any good stories

Hemicudis knows more about Vernon and let us hear from him.

by the way talking about that shot u described it is a piece of cake for players like vernon and that was not a true test for Vernons capabilities-there are several in USA who can do the shot u described.

One time in the past ' Gene the machine' did that shot on me at mothers in charlotte,NC.

yours truely can demonstrate that shot for a case of Budweiser or a quart of Cogniac or for a admission fee to a strip club in Las vegas.:cool:

av84fun
08-08-2008, 11:59 PM
The Beard must have plenty of stories. I've gotten to know him through my pal bobby pickle.

Vern has been in a wheel chair since I've known him but at JOBs last year, he showed a teenager how to bank the 1 in the shot diagrammed...roughly...below. The point of the diagram is to show that the shot doesn't go due to the 2 ball being in the way.

But juiced up and hit VERY hard, I'll be damned if there isn't JUST enough curve on the 1 ball to pass the 2 on the rail side and go in.

It took the kid about 4 tries to get it. Vern said he paid a LOT of rent on that shot with prop bets where he got 3 tries and usually made it in 1 or 2.

I'm sure Freddie knows the shot.

I was told that Vern took an empty stick of dynamite...just the red shell and a fuse...into a joint in a coal mining town where he had spent a week setting up some miners for a payday take down.

He figured there would be trouble (and frequently carried heat) and there WAS. So he pulls the stick of dynamite out of his cue case, lights it and headed for the door while everyone else hit the floor!

By the time they figured out it was a dud, Vern was peeling out of the driveway. I asked him if that was true and he just gave me a twinkle look and smile so I can't testify one way or the other.

(-:

Jim

freddy the beard
08-09-2008, 05:52 AM
The Beard must have plenty of stories. I've gotten to know him through my pal bobby pickle.

Vern has been in a wheel chair since I've known him but at JOBs last year, he showed a teenager how to bank the 1 in the shot diagrammed...roughly...below. The point of the diagram is to show that the shot doesn't go due to the 2 ball being in the way.

But juiced up and hit VERY hard, I'll be damned if there isn't JUST enough curve on the 1 ball to pass the 2 on the rail side and go in.

It took the kid about 4 tries to get it. Vern said he paid a LOT of rent on that shot with prop bets where he got 3 tries and usually made it in 1 or 2.

I'm sure Freddie knows the shot.

I was told that Vern took an empty stick of dynamite...just the red shell and a fuse...into a joint in a coal mining town where he had spent a week setting up some miners for a payday take down.

He figured there would be trouble (and frequently carried heat) and there WAS. So he pulls the stick of dynamite out of his cue case, lights it and headed for the door while everyone else hit the floor!

By the time they figured out it was a dud, Vern was peeling out of the driveway. I asked him if that was true and he just gave me a twinkle look and smile so I can't testify one way or the other.

(-:

Jim

You forgot to post the shot.
Vernon is in the hospital and they may have to amputate his leg. His friend opposedtwin (screen name) posted a report in Onepocket.org. He could use some friendly support from the "forum-inions"?
Vernon was not afraid to hustle in horrible spots. The action always flowed freer in spots where they thought they could take the money back.

the Beard

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Vernon is in the hospital and they may have to amputate his leg. His friend opposedtwin (screen name) posted a report in Onepocket.org. He could use some friendly support from the "forum-inions"?
Vernon was not afraid to hustle in horrible spots. The action always flowed freer in spots where they thought they could take the money back.

the Beard

And in places where most didn't work for their money...like drug dealers, pimps, and thiefs. I didn't know him but will contact him. Sounds like my kind of guy. Johnnyt

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 06:19 AM
What hospital is he in, or an e-mail, home address, or phone #. I don't see it anywhere on Onepocket. org. Thank you. Johnnyt

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Bump for info. Johnnyt

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Bump for info. Johnnyt

SJDinPHX
08-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Bump for info. Johnnyt

Johnny, Opposedtwin is suggesting you PM him, or just post on his thread, and he will see that the info makes it to Vernon.

Dick

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Johnny, Opposedtwin is suggesting you PM him, or just post on his thread, and he will see that the info makes it to Vernon.

Dick

OK, thanks Dick...will do. Johnnyt

frankncali
08-09-2008, 08:58 AM

the Beard

Sorry Freddy to here about Vernon. I really hope he gets better and gets out of the hospital. You should interview him when he gets out. He is
the type of guy that has a wealth of information and stories.

It was years ago when I saw him. I have regretted not staying or coming back and learning more.

jay helfert
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I first saw Vernon when he came to Johnston City with Spivey and put down the One Pocket gaff game with 20 balls on the table. They busted every one who tried it until Harold Worst and Beenie teamed up to bust them. To this day, I have never seen anyone shoot pool any better than Worst did that day. He had to run 15-18 balls each game to win, IN ONE POCKET! And he did it like three out of five tries. Efren wouldn't have liked this game.

I only saw him play Banks once, against Ronnie. Vernon gave him 9-7 and I thought Ronnie had the nuts. Ronnie banked real good by the way. Well Vernon won something like six games in a row, and Ronnie told him to forget about adjusting, he was getting the hell out of there. :cool:

Scott Lee
08-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Vern Elliot lives in Chattanooga, TN. I don't know what hospital he'd be in though!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

What hospital is he in, or an e-mail, home address, or phone #. I don't see it anywhere on Onepocket. org. Thank you. Johnnyt

JoeyA
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I first saw Vernon when he came to Johnston City with Spivey and put down the One Pocket gaff game with 20 balls on the table. They busted every one who tried it until Harold Worst and Beenie teamed up to bust them. To this day, I have never seen anyone shoot pool any better than Worst did that day. He had to run 15-18 balls each game to win, IN ONE POCKET! And he did it like three out of five tries. Efren wouldn't have liked this game.

I only saw him play Banks once, against Ronnie. Vernon gave him 9-7 and I thought Ronnie had the nuts. Ronnie banked real good by the way. Well Vernon won something like six games in a row, and Ronnie told him to forget about adjusting, he was getting the hell out of there. :cool:

Where did they play this game? What year did you see Ronnie and Vernon play this game?

I was just wondering if Ronnie Allen was still in his prime. I know Ronnie could play well but if he was getting 9-7 from Vernon Elliot he didn't play as well as Vernon. lol

JoeyA

Scott Lee
08-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I just spoke with a close friend of Vern's, in Chattanooga, and Vern has been in the hospital for the last 2-3 weeks. He is in good spirits, and my friend is going to visit him tomorrow. He'll find out how long Vern will be there, and then send me the hospital info, which I'll post here, for anyone who wants to send a card or note.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

jay helfert
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Where did they play this game? What year did you see Ronnie and Vernon play this game?

I was just wondering if Ronnie Allen was still in his prime. I know Ronnie could play well but if he was getting 9-7 from Vernon Elliot he didn't play as well as Vernon. lol

JoeyA

This was in the Johnston City era.

av84fun
08-09-2008, 12:12 PM

the Beard

<iframe src="http://CueTable.com/P/?@1AOPo4BWux4PNrQ@" noresize="noresize" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="no" width="660" height="430" ></iframe>

av84fun
08-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I just spoke with a close friend of Vern's, in Chattanooga, and Vern has been in the hospital for the last 2-3 weeks. He is in good spirits, and my friend is going to visit him tomorrow. He'll find out how long Vern will be there, and then send me the hospital info, which I'll post here, for anyone who wants to send a card or note.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott can you find out what hospital he's in?

THANKS!
Jim

Scott Lee
08-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Jim...I mentioned in my post, that my friend was visiting Vern TOMORROW, and would find out the information needed, for people to send cards, notes, etc., forward it me, and I'll post it here!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott can you find out what hospital he's in?

THANKS!
Jim

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thank you Scott. Johnnyt

Bob Jewett
08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
... He showed us his hustling shot where he takes a ball on the spot and then puts the cueball almost hung up in a corner on the same end. He then tell you which pocket to shoot it to. He cut it backwards into the other corner on the third shot !! I didnt think it was possible....
There's a video of that shot on YouTube. There are also a couple videos of Vernon's impossible bank shot (cross-side, cue ball and object ball frozen to the same long rail, object ball on the OTHER SIDE of the side pocket).

av84fun
08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
There's a video of that shot on YouTube. There are also a couple videos of Vernon's impossible bank shot (cross-side, cue ball and object ball frozen to the same long rail, object ball on the OTHER SIDE of the side pocket).

Here's a link to one of those shots demonstrated by our own Joe Tucker. Just search on Vernon Elliot and you will get quite a few hits.

Regards,
Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-vXWEA_TU

Scott Lee
08-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Jim...I was at Joe's house, when he was showing that shot, using his lazer trainer. He made it 3x in a row (missed on the 4th try), moving the OB a little farther past the side pocket, each time, until it would no longer bank. I wouldn't have believed it, if I didn't see it with my own eyes!:eek:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

av84fun
08-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Jim...I was at Joe's house, when he was showing that shot, using his lazer trainer. He made it 3x in a row (missed on the 4th try), moving the OB a little farther past the side pocket, each time, until it would no longer bank. I wouldn't have believed it, if I didn't see it with my own eyes!:eek:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

No wonder Vern and others could make a living prop betting those kinds of shots. He sure would have had my money!

(-:

Jim

jay helfert
08-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Here's a link to one of those shots demonstrated by our own Joe Tucker. Just search on Vernon Elliot and you will get quite a few hits.

Regards,
Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-vXWEA_TU

The trick to this shot is having a special Joe Tucker "bridge". I'm sure Vernon carried one around with him too. :wink:

frankncali
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Somewhere I saw Joe Tuckers video shooting that shot and went right away to the pool room. The only few people there thought I was nuts until I made it !! The tip he gives helps alot. Not sure why but it works.

I did see Buddy Hall years ago shoot the shot and I didn't remember him going rail first.

Scott Lee
08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
My buddy in Chattanooga spoke with Vern Elliot today. Vernon will NOT have to have his leg amputated, as was expected. :thumbup: He is visiting him tomorrow, and will contact me with the hospital info, for anyone who wants to send a card or note.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

freddy the beard
08-11-2008, 06:31 AM
I must add this to this thread. I was playing banks at Red Shoes sat nite with Riley "Jet" Johnson. We had been playing awhile and we were even and we were down to the game ball (naturally I now need a spot from players). Jet left me dead safe, or so he thought, but due to these posts Ive been thinking about Vernon lately and I mentioned that Jet had left me a shot that Vernon could make. The more I thought about it gave me an inspiration and I decided to shoot one for Vernon. I called it, hit it perfect and it walked across the table and fell into the pocket with no scratch. Jet broke his cue down after that. Unbelievably, its one of the few times in my life that I have ever made the shot for the cash!

the Beard
Here it is on the Wei table
START(%MH2D2%Pk6D5%WD6Z0%XH2E6%]H9E2%^j0D9)END

Here it is on the other web table. clik to see

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AaTN2PaTE2kaTE3kWyK3kWyK3kXPM3kXPM4kadb4kaMb4kb Cb4kaEa4katc@

jay helfert
08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I must add this to this thread. I was playing banks at Red Shoes sat nite with Riley "Jet" Johnson. We had been playing awhile and we were even and we were down to the game ball (naturally I now need a spot from players). Jet left me dead safe, or so he thought, but due to these posts Ive been thinking about Vernon lately and I mentioned that Jet had left me a shot that Vernon could make. The more I thought about it gave me an inspiration and I decided to shoot one for Vernon. I called it, hit it perfect and it walked across the table and fell into the pocket with no scratch. Jet broke his cue down after that. Unbelievably, its one of the few times in my life that I have ever made the shot for the cash!

the Beard
Here it is on the Wei table
START(%MH2D2%Pk6D5%WD6Z0%XH2E6%]H9E2%^j0D9)END

Here it is on the other web table. clik to see

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AaTN2PaTE2kaTE3kWyK3kWyK3kXPM3kXPM4kadb4kaMb4kb Cb4kaEa4katc@

So you can teach an old dog new tricks! :grin: