PDA

View Full Version : You ever have one of those days?

mullyman
08-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Ever have one of those days where it seems that the planets have aligned, God is on your side, Lady Luck is in your pocket and you just can't miss a ball or a position? Well, last night was not one of those nights for me. Good Lord. I was missing cuts into the corner by a full ball, my speed was so far off it wasn't even funny and I just felt out of line the entire night....up until the last set. We played 5 sets racing to 5 and it went like this

3-5
5-3
3-5
3-5
5-4

That last set I was actually down 4-0, he missed a 3 ball, I ran out the rack, broke and ran 2 in a row, got a lucky safety off my next break and got ball in hand, ran out that rack, then broke and ran out the last rack for the win. That last set was like everything was back to normal. I even apologized to the guy I was playing with that the earlier sets weren't that challenging.

I have to wonder if my hypoglycemia has anything to do with this. Hypoglycemic people are usually more "alive" late at night. Those first 4 sets I really felt like my head had a cloud swimming around in it. That last set I was as clear as could be and had a lot of energy. It was around 10:00 too, the time I usually start playing. I wonder if there is any connection.
MULLY

skor
08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
When I feel that nothing works I usually switch shaft or cue...
In most cases it helps... it could be just a psychological thing but whatever works....

Thank god for 3x5 (or bigger) cases.... :D

mullyman
08-09-2008, 12:17 AM
In most cases it helps... it could be just a psychological thing but whatever works....

Yeah, I started out with my JMW, switched to my Scruggs for 2 sets or so, then went back to the JMW.

I'd like to add, in all fairness to the guy I played last night, even though he'll never see this, that 1 set I won in the middle was not because of any great shooting on my part. He seemed to have fell into a funk for a little bit there. This is a guy that, if we're both playing good, I feel that he would have the advantage over me. He shoots pretty damn straight.
MULLY

softshot
08-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Ever have one of those days where it seems that the planets have aligned, God is on your side, Lady Luck is in your pocket and you just can't miss a ball or a position? Well, last night was not one of those nights for me. Good Lord. I was missing cuts into the corner by a full ball, my speed was so far off it wasn't even funny and I just felt out of line the entire night....up until the last set. We played 5 sets racing to 5 and it went like this

3-5
5-3
3-5
3-5
5-4

That last set I was actually down 4-0, he missed a 3 ball, I ran out the rack, broke and ran 2 in a row, got a lucky safety off my next break and got ball in hand, ran out that rack, then broke and ran out the last rack for the win. That last set was like everything was back to normal. I even apologized to the guy I was playing with that the earlier sets weren't that challenging.

I have to wonder if my hypoglycemia has anything to do with this. Hypoglycemic people are usually more "alive" late at night. Those first 4 sets I really felt like my head had a cloud swimming around in it. That last set I was as clear as could be and had a lot of energy. It was around 10:00 too, the time I usually start playing. I wonder if there is any connection.
MULLY

just a guess.. but I'd bet there was something else on your mind... I don't know you so I can't speculate on what it is... but there was something keeping you from giving 100% concentration.. on those nights.. I just case my cues and walk away...

tomorrow is a new day...

mullyman
08-09-2008, 12:36 AM
just a guess.. but I'd bet there was something else on your mind... I don't know you so I can't speculate on what it is... but there was something keeping you from giving 100% concentration.. on those nights.. I just case my cues and walk away...

tomorrow is a new day...

I kind of think it's my low blood sugar problem. I really am in kind of a haze until around 9 or 10 at night. I usually don't even go to the pool hall until after 9:30, even on work nights. I didn't really have anything on my mind consciously, I just felt drained the entire time.
MULLY
gotta be the low blood sugar

Milo
08-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Yes, I had one of those nights also. Played in a 9 ball tourney. Nothing felt right. I played very mediocre. Well, there is always tomorrow.
And time for me to play more. Its summer. Hard to get the ambition to go and hit balls when it so nice out.
The one important thing I try to do is stay positve. I never beat up on myself for too long.

okinawa77
08-09-2008, 03:18 AM

3-5
5-3
3-5
3-5
5-4

MULLY

That's funny....I played some 9 ball with a house cue last night at Flannel in NishiTakashiMadaira. Northwest Tokyo
I was shooting better than my opponent, but was selling out on the 8 and 9 balls. We ate dinner at the place. The owner cooked us up some chicken and rice. Then I decided to focus a little more.
I lost track of the win/loss numbers, but I think it was about 20 wins, 3 losses. I stopped counting at 15 wins

Pii
08-09-2008, 04:14 AM

I do the same. I'm off a lot and that is why I have 10 playing cues:grin-square:

SCCues
08-09-2008, 06:29 AM

I do the same thing. If i'm struggling and things aren't working I usually switch shafts to try and change something and that's another reason I like to own more than one cue because when I have a bad night playing i'll usually switch to one of my other cues the next time I play. It's a mind thing because I know it's not the cue, but if it makes me think it helps I guess that's all that matters.

James

Monto P2
08-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Well I am kinda slow starter:O
The first frame is hardest for me to win:D

I dont switch cues during the game but rather prefer to trying and concentrate more.I carry one break cue,one playing cue,one jump cue and one snooker cue in my case.

pocketspeed
08-09-2008, 06:51 AM
mully, you just descibed how i always play, except for the part about 'everything getting back to normal" at the end. yep thats why i usually have 3 playing cues in my case, not that that actually helps. makes me wonder why i love this game so much...

brian-now wondering if he suffers from chronic hypoglycemia?

CocoboloCowboy
08-09-2008, 07:06 AM

This is very funny.http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/cheerleader.gif

CocoboloCowboy
08-09-2008, 07:08 AM
I kind of think it's my low blood sugar problem. I really am in kind of a haze until around 9 or 10 at night. I usually don't even go to the pool hall until after 9:30, even on work nights. I didn't really have anything on my mind consciously, I just felt drained the entire time.
MULLY
gotta be the low blood sugar

Good friend suffer from Hypoglycemic, she alway fell back on DRY Roasted Peanuts for a Quick Fix of what she need to beat the Hypoglycemia.