PDA

View Full Version : seriously

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I can see that all the other clowns here do not openly admit that they are/were clowns and if I am to be taken seriously as a cue maker I must drop the clown bit and adopt a more formal persona.

With that in mind I am thinking of changing my avatar to something more befitting a serious cue maker. I am thinking of the following names for my cues.

TimberStone TS

WildWood WW

Caliopy Cues CC

Big Top Cues BT

Jerimia Cues JC

RedCardinal RC

HoosierMade HM

Indiana Custom IC

These are just a few ideas that I think might be appropriate.
Anyone got some other good sounding names that might tie in with the mid west?

My first cue in the works:

Jason Robichaud
08-09-2008, 07:40 AM
I would worry about making great cues, people will give you the name once you do that!

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 08:00 AM
I would worry about making great cues, people will give you the name once you do that!

Jason, anyone that knows business knows that marketing image is the most important element. More important than the item itself. Making a cue, great or otherwise, is not the big issue. Marketing is the key. If I had a dozen or so buddies that would make a buzz about my cues here on AZB for a few months I would have so many orders that I could not fill them all in a year. I would need to hire extra people to help me make them. Of course those extra people would be a behind the scene secret and their names would never be associated with my cues. That is how it is done :grin-devilish:

jasonlaus
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I can see that all the other clowns here do not openly admit that they are/were clowns and if I am to be taken seriously as a cue maker I must drop the clown bit and adopt a more formal persona.

With that in mind I am thinking of changing my avatar to something more befitting a serious cue maker. I am thinking of the following names for my cues.

TimberStone TS

WildWood WW

Caliopy Cues CC

Big Top Cues BT

Jerimia Cues JC

RedCardinal RC

HoosierMade HM

Indiana Custom IC

These are just a few ideas that I think might be appropriate.
Anyone got some other good sounding names that might tie in with the mid west?

My first cue in the works:

Serious Wood SW

Damn Straight DS

Good Shooter GS

Billy Stix BS

Pretty Fantastic Maker PFM

Darn Pretty dp

Tight A$$ Straight Cue TASC

Stones
08-09-2008, 10:41 AM
How about Midwest Custom Cues?

Stones

D_Lewis
08-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Is that a striped cue?

Black-Balled
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Is that a striped cue?
I think it is dymondwood

D_Lewis
08-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I think it is dymondwood

Oh ok, Im a fan of the pred striped P2 and got a little excited at the idea of a custom one.

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 12:39 PM
How about Midwest Custom Cues?

Stones

That is an excellent name but unfortunately it is already taken by Steve Morris in St. Paul, MN. and I doubt he would take kindly to me using his name.

chokenstroke
08-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Is that a striped cue?

It is a laminated wood commonly called dymondwood. About as dense as Ebony but much more colorful.

chokenstroke
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Eurka! I have found it!

Actually Pinocchio came up with this and I just love it.

JESTER CUES

Thank you Pinocchio I am indebted to you my friend :bow-down:
What a stroke of genius and a perfect name for my cues.

TellsItLikeItIs
08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Eurka! I have found it!

Actually Pinocchio came up with this and I just love it.

JESTER CUES

Thank you Pinocchio I am indebted to you my friend :bow-down:
What a stroke of genius and a perfect name for my cues.
Sure do hate to bust your bubble but that name is taken.

chokenstroke
08-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Sure do hate to bust your bubble but that name is taken.

There are some sad things known to man but there aint nothing sadder than the tears of a clown. :crying: (with respect to Smokey Robinson)
That was such a good name for me and I doubt I can ever find another that fits so well.

Perhaps something like Jack Joker.

ratcues
08-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Jason, anyone that knows business knows that marketing image is the most important element. More important than the item itself. Making a cue, great or otherwise, is not the big issue. Marketing is the key. If I had a dozen or so buddies that would make a buzz about my cues here on AZB for a few months I would have so many orders that I could not fill them all in a year. I would need to hire extra people to help me make them. Of course those extra people would be a behind the scene secret and their names would never be associated with my cues. That is how it is done :grin-devilish:

This is not true in cue making. Marketing may sell your cues in the short term, but a well built, good playing cue will keep you around for years to come. I wish you luck but keep in mind that pool players are a lot smarter than you think. ;)

.....and as far as marketing your cues, its not a good idea to come on the most popular billiard forum and say the marketing is more important than playability.

chokenstroke
08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
This is not true in cue making. Marketing may sell your cues in the short term, but a well built, good playing cue will keep you around for years to come. I wish you luck but keep in mind that pool players are a lot smarter than you think. ;)
.....and as far as marketing your cues, its not a good idea to come on the most popular billiard forum and say the marketing is more important than playability.

Now Ryan, I made no reference as to how smart pool players were.
Are you trying to get me in trouble here?

Tell me the name of one American cue maker that makes bad playing cues. Can you? I dont think you can because they all make a playable cue that someone will like.
I would say that a Southwest plays different than a RAT cue. Dont you agree? Notice I said different.
The big difference between a Rat cue and a Southwest is not so much as how they look or play but how the pool players perceive them and that is where marketing comes into the picture. I have never played with either but because of the marketing hype I would tend to desire a Southwest over a Rat and that has nothing to do with playability. Now I just might prefer the way a Rat cue feels but if I wish to impress all my buddies down at the pool hall I will have better luck by whipping out a Southwest cue. After all a cue that has an 8 year waiting list must be the greatest cue ever made and you get what you pay for, right?

Please dont take offense at me using Rat cues and Southwest cues to make this point because none was intended. From what I hear you make excellent and desirable cues. If you send me one I promise to show it to all my pool playing buddies. :thumbup:

Black-Balled
08-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Now Ryan, ...Tell me the name of one American cue maker that makes bad playing cues. ... :thumbup:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=75721

ratcues
08-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Now Ryan, I made no reference as to how smart pool players were.
Are you trying to get me in trouble here?

By no means am I trying to get you in trouble. In fact, I'm trying to help you. The hype of a SW cue is from its playability not marketing. It is a time and player tested cue, known for excellent playability. I am sure some people buy a SW just to own one but, on balance, players buy them because they play well.

I, as a cue maker, am trying to build such a reputation, not with a marketing strategy, but on playability and workmanship. Let the hype build from that.

I did not want my statement, about how smart players are, to imply that you think they are not smart. I am saying that if you build a hype around a cue and a brand that does not live up to that hype, you will fail as a cue maker.

play first; hype later