PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman will be leaving us soon.

Bishop
08-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Didn't see it posted and I decided to put it in this forum for obvious reasons.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24149703-663,00.html

PAUL Newman has finished chemotherapy and has told his family he wants to die at home.

The Oscar-winning actor was pictured being pushed from a New York cancer hospital in a wheelchair.

Yesterday, it was reported in America that Newman, 83, had only weeks to live and had returned home to his wife, Joanne Woodward.

"Paul didn't want to die in the hospital," a source said. "Joanne and his daughters are beside themselves with grief."

The source, described as a close family friend, said that the star had spent the past few weeks getting his affairs in order.

It was claimed that some of Newman's actions had caused tension among of his children.

"He gave a prized car - a Ferrari with his racing number, 82, on it - to a long-time pal," the friend said.

"The sudden move angered his children. It's especially hard for them to come to grips with what's going on.

"The word they've been given is that he has only a few weeks to live."

Newman married Woodward in 1958 and the couple have three daughters.

It was reported last month that he had been readying their oldest child, Nell, to take over his Newman's Own salad dressings company, the profits of which are given to a charitable foundation.

He also has two daughters from his first marriage to Jackie Witte.

Newman has so far declined to comment on his condition, apart from saying he is "doing nicely".

Rumours about his health surfaced in January. Three months ago, he withdrew from directing a production of Of Mice and Men in his home town of Westport, Connecticut.

CocoboloCowboy
08-09-2008, 07:46 AM
This is very sad news.

JimS
08-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Very sad. He's a fine man whose presence has been an assett to the whole world.

The King
08-09-2008, 08:04 AM
This will be a big loss to all of America ... He was one to look up to.

Blackjack
08-09-2008, 08:11 AM
This is sad news - but he has lived a full life - 83 years is a long time.

I have said this before, and I will say it again - Paul Newman deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame - along with Jackie Gleason - it would have been a smart move to have him inducted a lot sooner - but these names are never on the ballot.

If Tevis is in there, and if Rudolf Wanderone is in there, we should also honor the men that brought those characters to life - to include Grady Seasons.

I guess that just makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

:shrug:

stick8
08-09-2008, 08:17 AM
great actor!!!will be missed, the HUSTLER brought back memories!!! and COOL HAND LUKE a classic, if my man says he can eat 50 eggs he can!!! a great line!!!BUTCH CASSIDY& SUNDANCE KID, wow. good bye PAUL!!!!:( :( :(

!Smorgass Bored
08-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I just KNEW that he shouldn't have eaten those 50 hardboiled eggs.... dammit
He's my favorite actor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYQkHgHwyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R-qJaJRSRs&feature=related

Doug
(I'm shakin it here boss, I'm shakin it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_aVuS7cOIQ&feature=related

I can't leave this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGe7u4rGSw&feature=related

Johnnyt
08-09-2008, 08:33 AM
This is sad news - but he has lived a full life - 83 years is a long time.

I have said this before, and I will say it again - Paul Newman deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame - along with Jackie Gleason - it would have been a smart move to have him inducted a lot sooner - but these names are never on the ballot.

If Tevis is in there, and if Rudolf Wanderone is in there, we should also honor the men that brought those characters to life - to include Grady Seasons.

I guess that just makes too much sense for it to actually happen.

:shrug:

Your right. Newman did more for pool from 1963 to the eighties with the Hustler and the COM than anything or anyone that I can think of at the moment. Combine that with all the good he did in the world and you have a true hero. I know we all have to leave sometime, but this is very sad. And the fight starts for his money before he's gone. WTF? Someone should shoot the *****. Johnnyt

burns420
08-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Sad, but yeah he lived a full life. His salad dressings are great to.

PKM
08-09-2008, 09:04 AM
He even made me like that chick flick, "Message in a Bottle"

jay helfert
08-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Paul Newman as Fast Eddie ignited pool! He has left a legacy that is to be envied. People will be watching his films a hundred years from now.

JB Cases
08-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Go in peace Paul. Thank you for all the fine and inspiring performances.

Scott Lee
08-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Amen to that, John! Newman had outstanding performances in every decade of his life, as an adult...from his 20's through his 70's! The Hustler and COM are just two, of dozens of great roles that he played!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Go in peace Paul. Thank you for all the fine and inspiring performances.

mullyman
08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Wow, this sucks. I had heard that he had cancer. Didn't know it was that advanced. Bummer.
MULLY

Stones
08-09-2008, 10:35 AM
You can't say Paul didn't have a full life.

Paul did a movie called "Winning" back in the early 70's about car racing. After making the movie, he got into racing, big time.

I was a timer and corner man for the Sports Car Club of America and worked some of the races Paul competed in.

On my breaks from working the timing stand, I went down to the pits and hung out with him and his crew a few times.

I told him I was a pool player and my favorite movie was "The Hustler". I, also, said that he deserved the academy award. He laughed and said, "Who's hustling who, here?"

A real down to earth guy.

I wish him and his family the best. It ain't over yet but when it does happen, he will be missed.

Stones

alstl
08-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry to hear it. You never heard any of the typical hollywood trash about Paul Newman. Good family man who was loyal to his wife, and what an actor. He will be missed.

grindz
08-09-2008, 11:07 AM
HOPE the media comes up with a WE LOVE YOU PAUL day and REAL quick!!

If anyone described better what the zone feels like (in the Hustler), I haven't heard it. And it doesn't have to be pool!!

td

Ste
08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
A true gent and an amazing actor.

He was iconic in his acting days and like its already been said on here, he raised the profile of our sport and raised the bar for any other pool film to follow. The Hustler really gave an insight into the passions and the inner turmoil some players have / suffer. The way he played that role (and so many others in his career) brought the scripts to life. Believable life. Real life.

A true Hollywood icon, a brilliant actor but most of all - what a great great man.

I'll raise a glass to him when the day comes.

av84fun
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I was fortunate enough to meet him briefly during a private screening of The Hustler before its initial release and have family members who are close friends of his.

He was a giant in both his professional and personal lives. Few people have any idea what he has done for needy people.

Here is a story that I got from a reliable source.

Newman and Reford were legendary practical jokers. Newman made some bet with Redford that he knew he (Newman) would lose. That stake was a "current model year Porche."

Of course, Newman lost the bet and while Redford was out of town...and with the knowledge of Redford's lady, Newman had a current model year Porche delivered to Redfords' house....one that had been totaled in an accident and BAILED.

I was put in his living room were a coffee table used to be!!!

I am also told that at the wrap party for The Sting, Newman...again sticking to the car theme, had director, George Roy Hill's brand new car (I think also a Porche) SAWED IN HALF right in front of Hill!

Asked why he did it...he said..."Just to see the look on his face."

(-:

May God let him go gently.

Jim

Jigger
08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
A gentleman/artist/sportsman who will be missed.

Jigger
08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Ain't nobody can eat 50 eggs!

CocoboloCowboy
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Paul Newman as Fast Eddie ignited pool! He has left a legacy that is to be envied. People will be watching his films a hundred years from now.

Paul Newman as Fast Eddie did ?ignited pool!? as Jay said but I personally think his finest role was a LUKE in Cool Hand Luke.

He unlike many in the Hollywood community lives a very private, almost boring life. Marred to the same woman for years, and not being the subject of the Tabloids for he shall we saw was low profile, and normal compared to other who are the weekly cover stories in the Tabloids.

I may not agree with much of Newman political causes, causes, or beliefs but when all is said and done he is one is a greatest actor alive showing his ability to play almost any role he chose to play.

sjm
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM
To me, Paul Newman, who has always been one of my favorite actors, should not be in the Hall of Fame. He can not logically be viewed as having contributed something to pool. Having starred in two movies dealing with pool doesn't constitute a contribution.

In contrast, Gleason did a lot for our game, including it in his variety shows and comic acts, fraternizing with the pro pool community, and speaking of pool in public often. He clearly raised the game's profile.

To induct a Paul Newman or a Tom Cruise might be good business for the BCA, as the induction ceremony would draw media attention if the inductee attended, but it's too late in the case of Newman. I'd support the induction of Tom Cruise, except that, as an actor whose appearance fee is likely over $100,000, he would be most unlikely to attend his induction ceremony unless paid.

Our sport's hall of fame is a virtual one, not a real one with a real location that people can visit, so having celebrities in the Hall of Fame makes little difference, at least in my opinion.

These points aside, Paul Newman is awesome, and I'll always enjoy his movies, most of all "The Sting" and "Cool Hand Luke."

Rod
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Paul Newman was one nice guy and a real gentelman. He stopped in our pool room after qualifying day at PIR in Phoenix. He asked who played good pool because he needed a partner.

The short story is we played partners against two of his friends. During that time We talked about his Indy cars and about The Hustler. Had a great conversation, he bought beers for several people and we won the cheese playing pool. I still have some video footage of his visit taken by a friend.

What an easy calm guy to talk to, it made my night. He will be missed but hopefully not to soon. Definately one of the greats. BTW he did call Joanne while he was there.

Rod

PoolBum
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
"When I'm really going, I feel like a jockey must feel with all that speed and power underneath him. He's coming into the stretch, the pressure's on him, and he just feels when to let it go and how much, 'cause he's got everything working...timing, touch. It's a real great feeling when you're right and you know you're right. It's like I got oil in my arm. The pool cue's part of me. It's got nerves in it. You feel the roll of those balls. You don't have to look. You just know. You make shots that nobody's ever made, and you play that game the way nobody's ever played."

$TAKE HOR$E
08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
This will be a great loss. September of last year a picture was sent to him to sign and it was received back about 2 months ago. I heard he has not signed many things lately and was in bad health but did not realize like this. This is a classic shot from the Hustler which will always be the best pool movie, imo.