PDA

View Full Version : Finally.

custmqs
08-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I have two girls, age 7 and 10. Even though we have always had a nice table in the basement, I could not for the life of me get them interested in playing pool. They would knock balls around with me for a minute or two but they would get quickly discouraged and stop. And then it happened...

We came up with a game where I play normal 8 ball but they get to hit the object balls directly into the hole without using the cue ball. It gives me a chance to give them little tips on stance and stroke and they love it because they are actually able to pocket balls. It is amazing after just a few sessions how well they are stroking the ball now... firing them right into to the hole.

Slowly we are starting to introduce the cue ball back into the game. Both girls are now using the cue ball to pocket the 8 and we will start working backwards from there. 8 plus last one, last two, etc. It amazes me how they are starting to develop a "feel" for the game.

I cannot even describe the joy on the faces of my girls when they make a good shot or beat Dad. They are actually bugging me non-stop to go play pool! How sweet is that? It's great practice for me too because it's getting to the point where if I don't get out, they will. And last but not least... it is a great way to spend time with the kids and give Mom a little bit of free time (which makes us all happier).

Anyone with young kids that "aren't interested" should try this. It is well worth a few chalk marks on the object balls...

jay helfert
08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I have two girls, age 7 and 10. Even though we have always had a nice table in the basement, I could not for the life of me get them interested in playing pool. They would knock balls around with me for a minute or two but they would get quickly discouraged and stop. And then it happened...

We came up with a game where I play normal 8 ball but they get to hit the object balls directly into the hole without using the cue ball. It gives me a chance to give them little tips on stance and stroke and they love it because they are actually able to pocket balls. It is amazing after just a few sessions how well they are stroking the ball now... firing them right into to the hole.

Slowly we are starting to introduce the cue ball back into the game. Both girls are now using the cue ball to pocket the 8 and we will start working backwards from there. 8 plus last one, last two, etc. It amazes me how they are starting to develop a "feel" for the game.

I cannot even describe the joy on the faces of my girls when they make a good shot or beat Dad. They are bugging me non stop to go play pool! It's great practice for me too because it's getting to the point where if I don't get out, they will. And last but not least... it is a great way to spend time with the kids and giving Mom a little bit of free time (which makes us all happier).

You sound like one happy Dad. This IS the nuts! Have fun!

corvette1340
08-09-2008, 09:13 AM
thats awesome custm. Do you show them the mspaints you do too? lol. My daughter is only 16 months old but she will be at the country club this time next year with her own set of golf clubs. When we build a new house I'm planning on getting a diamond smart table for my pool room and I'm sure she'll try her hand at pool too. It will be easier for me to teach her golf because I know the ins and outs of the swing and all the fundamentals. If she ends up liking pool I might have to get her some lessons from someone that plays better than me.

custmqs
08-09-2008, 09:23 AM
thats awesome custm. Do you show them the mspaints you do too? lol. My daughter is only 16 months old but she will be at the country club this time next year with her own set of golf clubs. When we build a new house I'm planning on getting a diamond smart table for my pool room and I'm sure she'll try her hand at pool too. It will be easier for me to teach her golf because I know the ins and outs of the swing and all the fundamentals. If she ends up liking pool I might have to get her some lessons from someone that plays better than me.

LOL. I'm not sure what the golf equivalent of this teaching method would be. Perhaps standing on the tee box, picking a spot in the fairway to hit and then walking to that spot and dropping a ball? I just might try that next time out... sounds fun and I'd save a ton of $$$ on golf balls. ;)

Scott Lee
08-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Good for you, Jeff! Next thing ya know, you'll have your own 'family' pool league team!:thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I cannot even describe the joy on the faces of my girls when they make a good shot or beat Dad. They are actually bugging me non-stop to go play pool! How sweet is that? It's great practice for me too because it's getting to the point where if I don't get out, they will. And last but not least... it is a great way to spend time with the kids and give Mom a little bit of free time (which makes us all happier).

Any one with young kids that "aren't interested" should try this. It is well worth a few chalk marks on the object balls...

jsp
08-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Any one with young kids that "aren't interested" should try this. It is well worth a few chalk marks on the object balls...
That sounds like a great way to introduce your kids to the game! My daughters are 3 and 0.5, so I still have a ways away before they can reach over our table. But when they do, i'll remember your idea. Thanks.

grindz
08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
A couple other ideas that I've tried with my girl...

line them all up on the end rail and shoot them one by one into the far corner...helps with stroke and reproducability

place 1 ball in front of each pocket and give them ball in hand (to run all 6)...helps to teach them angles and rudimentary positional strategy...as they get better, move the balls further from the pocket in inch increments until they fail, then move back closer to where they can make them all again.

I learned from multiple sources to always keep the learning curve right at the point beyond where it is easily makeable, and to move it back to easier at failure, then back to beyond ....

I also let mine pick out a favorite cue (she didn't know why) and got it for her....then I let her know that it is HERS when she can break and run a rack of 8 ball..... I still have it....she's gone on to girly girl land...I'll wait patiently for a few more years....

Good luck and GREAT Job!

td

chefjeff
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't forget to tell the girls that playing pool is a great way to meet boys.

Jeff Livingston

Surly
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
That is fantastic. My fondest memories of all time are when my Dad and I spent time together, just him and me. When nothing existed except what We were doing... this is a fantastic bonding experience for all of you.

Congratulations.

custmqs
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't forget to tell the girls that playing pool is a great way to meet boys.

Jeff Livingston

Time to put the cover back on the table... :eek:

custmqs
08-09-2008, 01:59 PM
A couple other ideas that I've tried with my girl...

line them all up on the end rail and shoot them one by one into the far corner...helps with stroke and reproducability

place 1 ball in front of each pocket and give them ball in hand (to run all 6)...helps to teach them angles and rudimentary positional strategy...as they get better, move the balls further from the pocket in inch increments until they fail, then move back closer to where they can make them all again.

I learned from multiple sources to always keep the learning curve right at the point beyond where it is easily makeable, and to move it back to easier at failure, then back to beyond ....

I also let mine pick out a favorite cue (she didn't know why) and got it for her....then I let her know that it is HERS when she can break and run a rack of 8 ball..... I still have it....she's gone on to girly girl land...I'll wait patiently for a few more years....

Good luck and GREAT Job!

td

Great ideas grindz... I'll have to try them. I'm sure it will be a great day when that first B&R happens!

poolhall maven
08-09-2008, 03:31 PM
That is great and a wonderful way for you to do things together.
My dad brought me into a poolroom when I was 10--I'm still here! It has been decades since he has been able to beat me!

My husband and I have a table at home and it is great way to keep the kids at home with their friends. It keeps them out of trouble and you always know what they are up to.

Dead Money
08-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Time to put the cover back on the table... :eek:

HAHA!!!!!!!:D

grindz
08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Great ideas grindz... I'll have to try them. I'm sure it will be a great day when that first B&R happens!

I can't wait.....I'll post it here on AZB....but don't anyone hold their breath, in a year she'll be 13 and from what I've heard..............

Hardest thing to date is adjusting expectations. She thinks that because I run racks, that she's supposed to be able to too!! :grin-square:

I am looking forward to all her friends hanging out at MY house where I can keep a close eye....and keep them all out of trouble!! Tap tap to the next generation of GIRL players!!

td