PDA

View Full Version : Hold your cue right!

BWTadpole
08-09-2008, 01:40 PM
It always irks me when I see some people hold their cues this way. They'll be walking around the table, and then they stop to chalk the cue.

They're holding the cue mid-way up the shaft, cue's completely off the ground, just letting it hang with all of its weight while they're chalking. I see people hold their cue like this walking to and from the table. You might as well just leave your cue leaning on a wall for all eternity. I feel like every time someone does this, God kills a kitten.

You buy a cue, you take good care of it, and you still hold it like this? I can't imagine what that could do to a shaft, or the joint, over a long enough period of time. I always like to hold my cue with my palm directly over the joint so I don't accidentally apply too much pressure to any one section of the cue.

Does anyone else feel like that?

Surly
08-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I've always been conscious of not using it as a crutch when I'm waiting for a shot, as in setting the butt on the floor and then hanging on to it with both hands... I've never noticed how I carry it though...

skor
08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I used to resale pool cues and cases and I would always give some pointer on how to keep the cue in "like new" conditions and how to treat it.
It used to bug me seeing people abuse their cues and I would tell them "don't worry, I still here to sell you a new cue once you ruin this one..."
Apparently some people only learn through their pocket... some just keep missing the hard lesson.... but hey, somebody needs to keep the industry going and buy new cues every year.

Dead Money
08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I get irked by folks making a big deal out of how someone else chooses to treat their own property. A cue stick in this case. As long as they don't hit me with it I don't care what someone else does with their cue stick.

jasonlaus
08-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I always hold my stick with 2 hands, one on top of the other. some can only use one hand. You shouldn't make fun of them

Jigger
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
It always irks me when I see some people hold their cues this way. They'll be walking around the table, and then they stop to chalk the cue.

They're holding the cue mid-way up the shaft, cue's completely off the ground, just letting it hang with all of its weight while they're chalking. I see people hold their cue like this walking to and from the table. You might as well just leave your cue leaning on a wall for all eternity. I feel like every time someone does this, God kills a kitten.

You buy a cue, you take good care of it, and you still hold it like this? I can't imagine what that could do to a shaft, or the joint, over a long enough period of time. I always like to hold my cue with my palm directly over the joint so I don't accidentally apply too much pressure to any one section of the cue.

I don't quite follow you. There is a problem with holding the middle of the shaft and chalking? :confused: Guess I'm guilty. What's the risk here?

Dave <---insensetive, ignorant barbarian

BWTadpole
08-09-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't quite follow you. There is a problem with holding the middle of the shaft and chalking? :confused: Guess I'm guilty. What's the risk here?

Dave <---insensetive, ignorant barbarian

I guess I should explain that my first post was a half-sarcastic remark, maybe a bit overstated, but it does make me wonder if holding the cue like that would harm it.

I always thought there would be a risk somehow either to the shaft threading, joint pin, or shaft itself in as far as warping of unnecessary bending.

JoeyA
08-09-2008, 04:16 PM
I always hold my stick with 2 hands, one on top of the other. some can only use one hand. You shouldn't make fun of them

So your hands are actually "touching" each other, right?
JoeyA

TXsouthpaw
08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I get irked by folks making a big deal out of how someone else chooses to treat their own property. A cue stick in this case. As long as they don't hit me with it I don't care what someone else does with their cue stick.

amen to that

Neil
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM

cigjonser
08-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I play a lot in bars since there are 2 within walking distance from my house. Often I see people smack the side of the stick on the table out of anger when they miss. Usually it's a house cue, but once in a while I'll see people doing it with their own cue. Then again, it's a bar, what do I expect?

The funny part is once in a while these same people will ask if they can use my cue for a game and then get upset when I tell them no.

Tadpole, my apologies if your head just exploded from reading that. :D

Black-Balled
08-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I ...thought there would be a risk somehow either to the shaft threading, joint pin, or shaft itself in as far as warping of unnecessary bending.
FAIL!

The fatigue strength of a cue is enough to withstand chalking...:banghead:

Charlie Hustle
08-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I think you all are misunderstanding what the OP is trying to say. He means holding the cue with only one hand high up on the shaft, and using your other hand to chalk the tip. As they are doing this, the butt of the cue is not touching the ground, hence putting alot of stress on the joint/pin. I see exactly what he is talking about.

Neil
08-09-2008, 06:20 PM

thomba02
08-09-2008, 06:21 PM
i broke a bunjee j/b at the joint when i broke with it.

alstl
08-09-2008, 06:23 PM

I like to carry my cue like that just to shark my opponent. You'd be surprised how it really bothers some people. Chalk upside down on the rail drives some people nuts too.

BWTadpole
08-10-2008, 01:37 AM
I like to carry my cue like that just to shark my opponent. You'd be surprised how it really bothers some people. Chalk upside down on the rail drives some people nuts too.

Mother of God... :cool:

Another thing I never understood until I tried it was chalking the jump cues so excessively. I'd see people chalk their jump cue like they were putting frosting on a cake. Never understood the need for so much chalking until I got my own jump cue. Those phenolic and G10 tips really don't like to hold it as well as leather tips! So I'm now one of the people who inspects and chalks the jump cue like it's brain surgery :p

Cornerman
08-10-2008, 03:45 AM
They're holding the cue mid-way up the shaft, cue's completely off the ground, just letting it hang with all of its weight while they're chalking. I see people hold their cue like this walking to and from the table.
By the shaft? Horizontally?

I mustn't get out much. I've never seen anyone hold their cue like this that I can ever remember.

Fred <~~~ sheltered

mullyman
08-10-2008, 03:53 AM

Chalk upside down on the rails is poor manners. I don't know about you but I don't want chalk dust on my shirt. A slob probably doesn't care, me, I do.
MULLY

RRfireblade
08-10-2008, 03:53 AM
. . . As they are doing this, the butt of the cue is not touching the ground, hence putting alot of stress on the joint/pin.

No it's not.

mullyman
08-10-2008, 03:56 AM
When I'm walking around the table I usually have my cue in my right hand holding it just below the joint. When I chalk up I usually drop the butt down on the floor. I do my best to keep my cue away from the table edge too so as to not mistakenly bang it against the table.
MULLY
my last cue was 10 years old and looked brand spankin' new, except for shaft bluing, when I sold it

BWTadpole
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I has illustration!

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1426/cueholdor2.jpg

By the way, the cue hits a TON!!!

Back_Spin
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
judging by the pic that doesnt look good.. AT ALL!

BWTadpole
08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
judging by the pic that doesnt look good.. AT ALL!

There are a few people here that do it, one of them over 6' tall, and the other just over 5'. It's an equal-opportunity offender crime. :p

Jigger
08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
There are a few people here that do it, one of them over 6' tall, and the other just over 5'. It's an equal-opportunity offender crime. :p

Ohhhhh LOL- When you catch those scumbags in the act you could stomp their knee from the side and just snap their leg off.:p :wink:

BWTadpole
08-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Ohhhhh LOL- When you catch those scumbags in the act you could stomp their knee from the side and just snap their leg off.:p :wink:

Johnny Archer hates bad chalkers... Johnny SMASH!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_cLjswzJk

Balabushka
08-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I even protect the bumper. I gentley rest the butt on top of my shoe hold it straight up and chalk. Then wipe my hand on a rag so as to not chalk the linen/butt.

I am going to try chalking with my left hand (suggestion from a recent thread) so as to not soil the Linen.

alstl
08-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Chalk upside down on the rails is poor manners. I don't know about you but I don't want chalk dust on my shirt. A slob probably doesn't care, me, I do.
MULLY

It was a joke. I use my own chalk and don't put it upside down. Control freaks turn me off though and I will make an exception in certain cases.

BWTadpole
08-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I even protect the bumper. I gentley rest the butt on top of my shoe hold it straight up and chalk. Then wipe my hand on a rag so as to not chalk the linen/butt.

I am going to try chalking with my left hand (suggestion from a recent thread) so as to not soil the Linen.

I've tried chalking with my off-hand, too, but it's like trying to brush your teeth or eat a bowl of cereal with your left hand. You're probably not going to do a good job.

I do two different things when I chalk, depending on my rhythm. I might hold the cue at the joint and turn the cue around the chalk. Or I'd hold it at the joint more horizontally and swipe the chalk over the tip. Both help keep the chalk off of my hands. I'd like to see a side-by-side with my cue when it was new compared to now. So dirty!

Dead Money
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM

LMAO!!! :smile:

Tom M
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM

You know what the definition of "something" is?

Put one hand on your "cue", then put the other hand on your "cue".

Whatever's left over, that's SOMETHING!