PDA

View Full Version : The Coordination required for Pool. Is it similiar to Golf?

Milo
08-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I have been a serious pool player for 13 years. I know it is vital to have good eye hand coordination to play this game well. Of course the muscle memory is important also.
My husband just bought me a set of golf clubs. LOL He wants me to start playing with him. (He is falling in love with golf) I am definately a TRUE beginner!!! LOL I dont even know how to hit the ball yet.
Im wondering, with my experience with playing pool, will the mechanics be similar? I am thinking probably not. I would love to hear comments from you players who also play golf. Thanks

randyg
08-09-2008, 03:32 PM
The simularity between the two sports is very close:
1. The ball is stationary before/when we strike it.
2. No opponents, we play against ourselves and the elements.
3. Non-reactionary.

The actual mechanics of golf differ from pool mechanics. Although in both we try to put a sphere in play.

Even the actual physics of the sports are close to identical. Both require a set of check lists (pre-shot routines) and a huge amount of training and practice to play well.

My Mantra for swinging my golf club is the same as my pool Mantra. Eight seconds and both balls are in motion.

I reccommend a golf instructor for starters......SPF=randyg

grindz
08-09-2008, 04:20 PM
IMO the mental game transfers over well. Golf tends to use more of the major muscle groups, where pool uses VERY fine motor skills.

I've always thought of golf as a totally masochistic game where if you hit a bad shot you not only add strokes, but you have to go find your ball....but you get to do so in the great outdoors. :)

Good luck.

td

TXsouthpaw
08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
it definetly helps, I just took up golf with a buddy recently and i hit the ball way more consistent than him. We both suck but i suck less. Like randy said, both sports the ball is stationary whereas in basketball,baseball,football,soccer and other sports the ball is constantly in motion. they both require a preshot routine and they both take years to even be a decent player.

And do get lessons. For a beginner they help out alot. Itll save you alot of wasted time, youll know what to look for and what to focus on at the driving range; rather than just mindlessly hitting balls.

Oh yeah and besides bowling theyre the only sports you can play and drink at the same time.

ShootingArts
08-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Buy a labrador retriever. Can save a lot of walking on a golf course if you don't have to chase after that silly little ball! :D :D :D

Hu

RRfireblade
08-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Pretty much nothing from pool will help you in golf besides the theory of knocking a ball in a hole.

;)

Paul Dayton
08-09-2008, 08:29 PM
It might help with putting but that's it.

They're both great games but golf takes longer in nicer surroundings.

By all means take lessons and go to the driving range.

Jigger
08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
IMO- Comparing the difficulty of pool vs golf is like:

comparing ice skating to balls-to-the-wall down hill snow skiing.:eek:

Sincerely wish you well in your golf game Milo. It's a great game and well worth the frustration.

thedude
08-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I think the reflexes used in beach volleyball is much more like those used in pool.

davidwoj
08-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Couple of things:

1. I have found that my putting has improved quite a bit after spending more time playing pool. I attribute my improvement based on improving my ability to "see" and "align" putts better. While I wasn't a bad putter before, I think I am more consistent now.
2. Try searching on this topic here on the forum. I think there are a couple of threads talking about pool and golf which might be of interest.

TXsouthpaw
08-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I have been a serious pool player for 13 years. I know it is vital to have good eye hand coordination to play this game well. Of course the muscle memory is important also.
My husband just bought me a set of golf clubs. LOL He wants me to start playing with him. (He is falling in love with golf) I am definately a TRUE beginner!!! LOL I dont even know how to hit the ball yet.
Im wondering, with my experience with playing pool, will the mechanics be similar? I am thinking probably not. I would love to hear comments from you players who also play golf. Thanks

This is actually a good question, i took up golf after years of playing pool, and i think it helped me. I also have freinds who took up pool after years of playing golf. My next league night im gonna ask everyone if they think it helped them. My entire league team plays golf together so i wanna see what they have to say

Milo
08-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I am definately going to take some beginner lessons. Mind you, my goal is to just relax and have some fun with my hubby.
I am looking forward to the learning experience.
Again, Thanks everyone for your posts.

Str8PoolMan
08-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Mind you, my goal is to just relax and have some fun with my hubby.

Then I wouldn't recommend playing golf.

Can you spell F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-O-N???

The worst thing is, it's addictive, like heroin. Once you start, you'll never be able to quit. Why? Because, during a round of golf where you hit 120 bad shots, you will hit 1 or 2 great shots that will make you feel like Tiger Woods, and you'll think, "yeah, I can play this game". That will keep you coming back for more punishment, week in, week out.

And it's a more expensive hobby than pool because:

1. You can't put a golf course in your basement to save on greens fees.

2. You have to buy 14 different cues.

3. You have to buy your own balls and replace them often. Why? Because you tend lose them at an alarming rate, especially when you are a beginner plagued with the dreaded Hydrophobia (fear of water hazards). Imagine an evening out playing pool. You start with 15 balls, play 18 games of 8 ball, only to find you have only 9 balls left!

4. You have to buy tees to place the ball on when teeing off. Unless you want to try hitting your driver off the ground (not recommended).

5. You need special shoes, like baseball cleats only not as fashionable (and more expensive).

6. Unless you belong to a country club (greater expense there), you'll have to play in a "foursome", meaning your embarrassment at not being able to play well will be witnessed by at least two other people besides your husband, not to mention alot of squirrels. And make no mistake about it, the squirrels DO laugh at you!

7. Unless you like blisters, you'll have to wear a glove. Granted a small expense, but an expense nonetheless.

8. While not required, I have never seen anyone resist the temptation to buy "matching" accessories to go with their golf bag and clubs. I'm talking towels, ball markers, gloves, personalized balls, brushes (for cleaning mud out of the grooves in the club head), ball mark fixers, etc.

But other than that, it's a great game. I love it.

;) ;) ;)

Milo
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Then I wouldn't recommend playing golf.

Can you spell F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-O-N???

The worst thing is, it's addictive, like heroin. Once you start, you'll never be able to quit. Why? Because, during a round of golf where you hit 120 bad shots, you will hit 1 or 2 great shots that will make you feel like Tiger Woods, and you'll think, "yeah, I can play this game". That will keep you coming back for more punishment, week in, week out.

And it's a more expensive hobby than pool because:

1. You can't put a golf course in your basement to save on greens fees.

2. You have to buy 14 different cues.

3. You have to buy your own balls and replace them often. Why? Because you tend lose them at an alarming rate, especially when you are a beginner plagued with the dreaded Hydrophobia (fear of water hazards). Imagine an evening out playing pool. You start with 15 balls, play 18 games of 8 ball, only to find you have only 9 balls left!

4. You have to buy tees to place the ball on when teeing off. Unless you want to try hitting your driver off the ground (not recommended).

5. You need special shoes, like baseball cleats only not as fashionable (and more expensive).

6. Unless you belong to a country club (greater expense there), you'll have to play in a "foursome", meaning your embarrassment at not being able to play well will be witnessed by at least two other people besides your husband, not to mention alot of squirrels. And make no mistake about it, the squirrels DO laugh at you!

7. Unless you like blisters, you'll have to wear a glove. Granted a small expense, but an expense nonetheless.

8. While not required, I have never seen anyone resist the temptation to buy "matching" accessories to go with their golf bag and clubs. I'm talking towels, ball markers, gloves, personalized balls, brushes (for cleaning mud out of the grooves in the club head), ball mark fixers, etc.

But other than that, it's a great game. I love it.

;) ;) ;)

LOL, Thanks for your perspective. I can honestly say, I am only going to go out and have fun and relax. I am probably going to just play maybe once every 2 weeks or so. Alot of my playing will be at the range so I can at least learn how to hit the ball. LOL
BTW, the squirrels in Texas must be a special breed. Laughing squirrels???
I hope we dont have any here is Washington. LOL If there is, Im going to be the main entertainment.

Str8PoolMan
08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
LOL, Thanks for your perspective. I can honestly say, I am only going to go out and have fun and relax. I am probably going to just play maybe once every 2 weeks or so. Alot of my playing will be at the range so I can at least learn how to hit the ball. LOL
BTW, the squirrels in Texas must be a special breed. Laughing squirrels???
I hope we dont have any here is Washington. LOL If there is, Im going to be the main entertainment.

You just haven't seen the laughing squirrels, 'cuz they're all out at the golf course.

Seriously though, golf is a great game and can be alot of fun. Especially when played with people you like to be around. But it does get under your skin. At least it did me and everyone I know who plays. I've learned not to take it too seriously though, and just enjoy the time outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine. (you do have that in Washington, don't you?)

Good luck and have fun. Here's hoping you are a natural.
:thumbup:

"T"
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Milo] Mind you, my goal is to just relax and have some fun with my hubby.
QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the ticket!

I don't think the two games compare well, but I would say they compliment each other well.

If you're enjoying pool then you'll enjoy golf.

Good luck!

s0lidz
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM
There are some similarities. There could very well be some credence to the theory that there is a correlation between great pool playing and great golfing.

You have John Schmidt, I went to the range and hit some balls with him and I can tell you he's a fantastic golfer. You also have Corey Deuel, Johnny Archer, and a ton of other pro pool players who excel at golf. Now you could make the argument that this evidence is irrelevant. These individuals are naturally talented in general; and would probably be better than average in any activity that they dedicated a serious effort to.

All I know is this, I play both games and the best I've been at either is mediocre to just above average. Maybe I am just less talented overall or I lack a skill that is involved in both games. That part is up for debate.

As far as getting started in golfing goes, get to licensed instructor first before you create bad habits. Good luck!