PDA

View Full Version : Pool Needs More Respect!!!!!!

JMS
08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Up late watching the Olympics (don't ask me why), notice some stupid events over there in Beijing. Why is pool not an event and events like speedwalking and trampoline are an Olympic event. Quote from Time magazine "And trampolining, if you think about it, at least it fulfills the basic requirement of promising very serious injury. Teenage girls jump 20 ft. in the air, do tricks called the double back tuck and the full-in-full-out, and then fall on their faces and cry:crying: " The only trampolining in the U.S. is on the Man Show. But the stupidest sport of all may be race walking. If the event were held at the Mall and restricted to the over-60 set, it might be fun to watch. But instead it's young people jogging and pretending to walk. And that looks really, really stupid.

Maybe we should have Efren Reyes and Buddy Hall race walk 5 miles to the pool hall then play a set. We could even make it a team sport and use a cue as the baton!

JB Cases
08-10-2008, 03:59 AM
I agree. We just watched AIR PISTOL shooting. Shooting BB guns!!!! My wife commented that pool is more of a sport than that.

Trampoline on the other hand is a serious and dangerous sport. I was a competitive springboard diver and a competitive trampolinist. Trampoline has some seriously hard tricks and routines.

I don't need to see racewalking. I see no reason to ever be the fastest to walk somewhere when running will get it done quicker. Racewalking is like seven ball - no need for it when there is already a competitve sport that is better.

PKM
08-10-2008, 04:14 AM
I was surprised to learn that racewalking has been around for a long time in the Olympics. I thought it was a travesty of the modern world.

Just run, damn it!

thomba02
08-10-2008, 04:52 AM
maybe a petition should be started

Scaramouche
08-10-2008, 05:07 AM
I was surprised to learn that racewalking has been around for a long time in the Olympics. I thought it was a travesty of the modern world.

Just run, damn it!

Sir: you have no respect.

You would tell Dan Patch to gallop, not pace
Greyhound to gallop, not trot
:D :D :D

KJ Cues
08-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Pool Needs More Respect!!!!!!

If pool wants more respect then it's going to have to EARN it.

Don't tell me anymore stories of the 'stakes-horse' or 'cash-cow' being set-up, the slick trap or hustle, the rip-offs and shady deals.

Pool has made it's own bed. Pool will have more respect when it's worthy of it. Ever wonder why major pool tournaments can't get major sponsorship? No big name company in the world wants their name associated with the corruption. Plain & simple.

Dave Nelson
08-10-2008, 06:56 AM
What? You are saying that pool is more corrupt than basketball, football or baseball? I doubt it.

Dave Nelson

inside_english
08-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Up late watching the Olympics (don't ask me why), notice some stupid events over there in Beijing. Why is pool not an event and events like speedwalking and trampoline are an Olympic event. Quote from Time magazine "And trampolining, if you think about it, at least it fulfills the basic requirement of promising very serious injury. Teenage girls jump 20 ft. in the air, do tricks called the double back tuck and the full-in-full-out, and then fall on their faces and cry:crying: " The only trampolining in the U.S. is on the Man Show. But the stupidest sport of all may be race walking. If the event were held at the Mall and restricted to the over-60 set, it might be fun to watch. But instead it's young people jogging and pretending to walk. And that looks really, really stupid.

Maybe we should have Efren Reyes and Buddy Hall race walk 5 miles to the pool hall then play a set. We could even make it a team sport and use a cue as the baton!
Pool will get more respect when the majority of pool players behave more respectably.

3andstop
08-10-2008, 07:08 AM
I never followed the olympics. Absolutely no interest in it at all. :boring:

I did see girls beach volleyball on TV the other day come to think of it. If that was an olympic event, then I stand corrected. My eyes were glued to that. :happydance:

Anyway, I wondered if chess was an olympic event?

JoeW
08-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Attempting to get pool and or billiards into the Olympics has been going on for a long time. I was a supporter in the early 90s and there were efforts before then.

Seems we need to clean our own house first before we take on the politics of the Olympics.

Drawman623
08-10-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree. We just watched AIR PISTOL shooting. Shooting BB guns!!!! My wife commented that pool is more of a sport than that.

Pool is my first love and I no longer compete with firearms. Formerly, however, I was a state pistol champion. Air gun shooting is for real. The "bb-guns" start in the $2500 range and go up from there. It is every bit as challenging, if not more so than pool...I've competed at the US national level and I have seen what it takes to be a master shooter. Few people can do it.

That being said, however, I think it totally absurd to make such shooting an olympic event to the exclusion of the vastly more popular games of billiards. I do agree pool deserves more respect.

poolsnark
08-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Pool will be an Olympic sport just as soon as they let in darts, horseshoes, beer pong and cornhole. As lame as some (well, most) of the Olympic sports are, you're never going to see them include bar games. Now if someone decided to create the Barlympics...

Pool in the Olympics wouldn't help the game anyway, although I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered in about 62 other threads. Don't feel bad though. The darts guys feel just as pissy about their game being excluded from the Olympics too (at least they did in 2006). The article in The Guardian is actually pretty amusing, as you could remove the word "darts", replace it with "pool" and have the same argument that's been made over and over again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/jan/04/sport.gdnsport3

JustPlay
08-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Snooker or Billiards would make an the best representitive in the Olympics, which could open the door for other cue games.

jay helfert
08-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I posted on this same point in another thread a few days ago. I've reconciled myself to the fact that Pool is what it is, a damn good game that will forever be thought of as a non sport by many. Yet the masses ooh and aah at the skills of the pool masters. People inherently know how difficult this game is, especially because they've all tried to play it at some time in their lives. Call it a game or call it a sport, Pool is damn hard! And everyone knows it!

Why isn't pool in the Olympics and probably never will be. POLITICS! That's how decisions are made on this planet. Politics and money. Now if the Olympics were ever held in the Philippines, we all damn well know what sport would be included that year. Pool would have the biggest and best venue! But that ain't gonna happen for a while and we all know it. So I'm not going to sit around crying in my beer. I'm just going to keep on playing and supporting the existing events (and players) that are great!

Look at it this way, Golf is not an Olympic sport either. And Tennis is. Try to figure that out. I sure can't.

KJ Cues
08-10-2008, 08:25 AM
What? You are saying that pool is more corrupt than basketball, football or baseball? I doubt it.

Dave Nelson
You're entitled to your doubts until the cows come home. I'm not talking about any other sport other than pool. Since corruption exists in other sports does that mean that a level of corruption is acceptable in pool? If you're contend with the status quo, enjoy. Just don't expect things to get better all by themselves.

PKM
08-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I posted on this same point in another thread a few days ago. I've reconciled myself to the fact that Pool is what it is, a damn good game that will forever be thought of as a non sport by many. Yet the masses ooh and aah at the skills of the pool masters. People inherently know how difficult this game is, especially because they've all tried to play it at some time in their lives. Call it a game or call it a sport, Pool is damn hard! And everyone knows it!

That's true, but there seems to be a weird paradox about pool at least in my experience. Haven't you come across people who, once they can play above beginner level, genuinely seem to believe they could be a pro if only they put a little more effort into it?

macneilb
08-10-2008, 09:33 AM
i have to agree w/ KJ on this one. as much as i love the game, pool unfortunately IMO is built on a tradtion of dishonesty. basketball, baseball, etc. - all those sports have their moments where the corruption is shown, but none of them are built around the idea that things like hustling or even playing on the lemon are an acceptable practice. you tell a story of how you dumped in pool and made some money and your average joe would probably laugh and say good job on suckering someone, but throw a fight in boxing, and you lose all your respect from your peers and fans alike. all those other sports are built on the idea that you should play your best at all times, not just when its time to make money...

bfdlad
08-10-2008, 11:46 AM
It all comes back to the fact that we need a multi million dollar backer to make the sport popular again to the masses. I also have no idea how gymnastics makes it and why there is so much $$ involved in it. I NEVER see gymnastics on TV, I actually see more pool on tv that that stuff. I knwo that gymnastics is a very hard sport and takes alot of skill and commitment but so does pool. The only time i see gymnastica is every 4 years and it is a monster of a cash cow for all involved. I don't get where they get all the $$ from, can't be tv.
Also I think we all are convinced that pool is getting a bad rep from days gone by with the whole smoky pool room, misspent youth and gambling low life opinions. Time have changed and some of us and the general publkic need to se more of the fact that SVB does not smoke or drink or do drugs but exersizes and conducts himself like a pro. The same can be said for alot of players Crosby, Archer, and I know there are others. Some of them have a beer here and there and but this is becoming a very clean professional sport, Even Earl the guy some se as the bad guy in pool, exersizes everyday, and does not drink. Most of the people in our SPORT are good clean living professionals. I believe that there is more drugs, drinking, gambling, ho chasing, match fixing etc in probably every other sport than there is in pool and billiards.
I hate to go on a rant here but most of what I have seen in this thread is all the negatives and this is from our own, who are supposed to love the game. If we can't sit around and point out all the good stuff how the hell is a million dollar backer going to see it? Sorry, I feel like I just stuck up for my girlfriend or something. Everytime I meet someone who I know has $$$ I ask them "hey you ever play pool? or "do you ever watch pool on TV?" I don't meet alot of people with the $$$ needed but I try to get their interest everytime. Maybe if we all did this we may by accident fint that guy. Just a thought.

Sweet Marissa
08-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know why people expect pool to garner respect when most people in the industry don't even respect each other. We have tours trying to discredit each other, men making continuous sexual remarks about the ladies, everyone making disparaging comments about each other because they don't agree on the same "aiming system" or whatnot... for starters.

Good luck.

mnorwood
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree with previous posters. Pool has too much of a connection to gambling. Also pool is connected with smoke filled bars. To legitimize pool it needs to be in places that are family friendly (kid). The other day I went to a great new pool room close to where I live. The first thing you see is a sign that says "Absolutely no one under 21 allowed! No exceptions!! That my friends is the problem.

Regards,
Marcus

billiardcue
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't think lack of respect or a history of gambling, hustling, smoke filled rooms, etc. have anything to with it not being either an Olympic sport or a widely televised sport with big name, deep pocket sponsors.

Even though it may be one of the toughest sports known to man to master at championship level, unless you are an aficionado it is boring to watch. It takes too long and there is no excitement. To the untrained viewer world class players make it look too easy. They think pocketing balls must be simple when they watch and it is for a player that has pocketed millions of balls and the majority of shots are only a couple of feet and relatively straight in, no banks, combinations, etc. The average viewer doesn't understand the most important part of playing high level pool and that is cue ball placement. If I made the majority of shots I shoot at with my lousy cue ball control I would look like a wizard.

Most big ticket sports - baseball, football, basketball, hockey, auto racing, boxing - are also very time consuming but they are not slow, there is always something happening and there is physical contact, viewers like physical contact. I know golf is an exception, go figure.

Most big time sports have more than their share of off-beat characters and scumbags and it doesn't hurt them, sometimes it probably helps.

As for big money there are only two ways that can happen, play in 50,000+ seat stadiums charging high ticket prices. Set up a pool table on the 50 yard line at the Meadowlands and try to watch from the nose bleed seats, I don't think so.

The other way is primetime commercial TV. When ESPN2 televises a pool match it averages less than 50,000 viewers nationwide. If you believe Coca-
Cola, Chevrolet or Nike are going to buy ad space at exhorbinate rates for a handful of viewers guess again.

A possible third scenario is a sugar daddy, oh yeah I forgot that has been tried.

This diatribe is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

mnorwood
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't think lack of respect or a history of gambling, hustling, smoke filled rooms, etc. have anything to with it not being either an Olympic sport or a widely televised sport with big name, deep pocket sponsors.

Even though it may be one of the toughest sports known to man to master at championship level, unless you are an aficionado it is boring to watch. It takes too long and there is no excitement. To the untrained viewer world class players make it look too easy. They think pocketing balls must be simple when they watch and it is for a player that has pocketed millions of balls and the majority of shots are only a couple of feet and relatively straight in, no banks, combinations, etc. The average viewer doesn't understand the most important part of playing high level pool and that is cue ball placement. If I made the majority of shots I shoot at with my lousy cue ball control I would look like a wizard.

Most big ticket sports - baseball, football, basketball, hockey, auto racing, boxing - are also very time consuming but they are not slow, there is always something happening and there is physical contact, viewers like physical contact. I know golf is an exception, go figure.

Most big time sports have more than their share of off-beat characters and scumbags and it doesn't hurt them, sometimes it probably helps.

As for big money there are only two ways that can happen, play in 50,000+ seat stadiums charging high ticket prices. Set up a pool table on the 50 yard line at the Meadowlands and try to watch from the nose bleed seats, I don't think so.

The other way is primetime commercial TV. When ESPN2 televises a pool match it averages less than 50,000 viewers nationwide. If you believe Coca-
Cola, Chevrolet or Nike are going to buy ad space at exhorbinate rates for a handful of viewers guess again.

A possible third scenario is a sugar daddy, oh yeah I forgot that has been tried.

This diatribe is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Sponsors have to see that the viewing public is interested in the programming. In order to have a viewing public people need exposure to the programming in question. If kids never get a chance to play or compete you do not have a next generation. Pool has never done much to give the game to kids. Do you think golf, baseball and pro football back youth programs just out of the goodness of their heart????? They do it to market their sport. No one is going to let their kids into a bar. Think about it.

PKM
08-10-2008, 09:52 PM

I think that's true, although that's probably true for some of the obscure Olympic sports as well. Heck, most of the guys I play pool with (admittedly just above banger level like myself) probably don't have the slightest interest in watching pool on TV.

snowmon34
08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Pool Needs More Respect!!!!!!

If pool wants more respect then it's going to have to EARN it.

Don't tell me anymore stories of the 'stakes-horse' or 'cash-cow' being set-up, the slick trap or hustle, the rip-offs and shady deals.

Pool has made it's own bed. Pool will have more respect when it's worthy of it. Ever wonder why major pool tournaments can't get major sponsorship? No big name company in the world wants their name associated with the corruption. Plain & simple.

Well said.....

softshot
08-11-2008, 01:53 AM
I did see girls beach volleyball on TV the other day come to think of it. If that was an olympic event, then I stand corrected. My eyes were glued to that. :happydance:

Actually it is and was aired on NBC about 4 hours after you posted this (no lie)
I watched the whole thing

JustPlay
08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I am glad, pool is not in the Olympics. Nobody would watch it. Just like most of the events, the crowds are small. The DCC is the closest event to the Olympics that pool has. Instead of cash, just hand out medals. Does everyone here actually care that much about the olympics.

TXsouthpaw
08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Its actually a catch 22. Pool cant be "respectable" until it gets money infused into it and it wont get money infused into it until it becomes "respectable"

If pool tourneys paid out like golf tourneys, no on would need to hustle anyone else.

and pool not being in the olympics has nothing to do with pool being played in smokey bars, golf isnt an olympic sport either.

tigerseye
08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
At one time they considered it....You know it sounds even stranger that they haven't had golf as an olympic sport...Come to think of it none of the more popular sports are in the Olympics....Oh well i guess it is the challenge of unpopular sports....

tigerseye
08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Its actually a catch 22. Pool cant be "respectable" until it gets money infused into it and it wont get money infused into it until it becomes "respectable"

If pool tourneys paid out like golf tourneys, no on would need to hustle anyone else.

and pool not being in the olympics has nothing to do with pool being played in smokey bars, golf isnt an olympic sport either.

As far as Golf hustling and Pool hustling goes...believe me there are no differences. I have been on both sides. Except there are a few dollars more bet in golf. I'm sure there are a few guys on here that would vouch for that...

ceebee
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Cue Sports might make it someday. If they participants of this game would call their local newspaper & ask for Tournament coverage, the locals would realize that Pool is being played in their area. This might garner some local interest, then maybe regional, then maybe State, Then nationwide.

If 300,000 subscribers to Sports Illustrated, threatened cancellation, Pool & Billiards would be back on the sports page.

Sometimes you have to ask, in order to be recognized. If the Dallas newspaper had 10,000 people crying about no coverage... coverage would begin.

Here is some Billaird coverag in the World games;
All venue and tournaments are strictly NON-smoking. There is no longer
any tobacco related sponsorship. The onyl drink allowed into an arena at either professional or major amateur venues, by players or spectators is WATER. Carom, Pool and Snooker was played in the 2005 World Games in Duisburg. That was another step on the road to Olympic Status.

India is lobbying strongly for the inclusion of Cue Sports when they
host the next Commonwealth Games. Cue Sports are already included in the Asian Games, SEA Games & Mediterranean Games.

Millions of Petitions, from around the world, would get someone's attention.

TXsouthpaw
08-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Cue Sports might make it someday.

yeah i think one day cue sports in general might make it. Not eight or nine ball specifally but snooker and 3c and cue sports that are more popular throughout the world.

TXsouthpaw
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
As far as Golf hustling and Pool hustling goes...believe me there are no differences. I have been on both sides. Except there are a few dollars more bet in golf. I'm sure there are a few guys on here that would vouch for that...

the problem is that golf still has a good name inspite of the hustlers out there. Whereas pool is defined by our hustlers. No one knows who the pros today are but they all know minnesota fats. Golf is defined by the PGA not by its hustlers but we are.

DaveK
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Pool will be an Olympic sport just as soon as they let in darts, horseshoes, beer pong and cornhole. As lame as some (well, most) of the Olympic sports are, you're never going to see them include bar games.

...The darts guys feel just as pissy about their game being excluded from the Olympics too (at least they did in 2006).

It must really tick them off that curling is an Olympic sport. It's actually a bar sport around here and before the smoking ban it was quite common to play with a smoke hanging out of one's mouth and a rye-and-coke by the bench .... you can't actually play with a drink in your hand, it would spill on the ice when you sweep :mad: , but you spend half the time just standing around so there is lots of time to drink :thumbup: .... although perhaps not at the Olympics.

<edit, added this to put curling /drinking into perspective ;) >

taken from http://www.canadiansporttourism.com/files/brier2004.pdf :

The city of Saskatoon played host to the event for the fifth time, with Saskatchewan Place being an ideal venue. As a result, the 2004 Brier was a major success, with the highest paid attendance in the event?s history, with a total attendance of 238,129. In addition to the large audience in attendance, all of the draws were broadcast live on TSN, switching to CBC for the semi-final and final draws. Overall, the event was well attended, and provided a considerable economic benefit for the city of Saskatoon and the province of Saskatchewan. For example, the Brier Patch (the 4,500 seat on-site beer garden) saw more than 140,000 visits and sales in excess of $1,000,000 over the nine day period.

Dave

cueandcushion
08-12-2008, 01:37 AM
I remember when pool was considered for a "exhibition sport" or some catagory that tested the appeal of that sport for the masses. There was concern of "ethics and morals" clauses that all athletes must abide by as well as refrain from stimulants, drugs etc. Also there must be a level of physical fitness associated with people that dominate your "sport". If the top persons are 400lb guys that smoke. It doesnt qualify as a sport, it qualifies as a game. Just commentaries I have heard on sports shows when talking about why some things are accepted by the Olympic Committees and some are not. Heard these second hand from sport commentators, Bob Costas etc so take it for what it is worth. :smile:

I am sure there is a official listing on the IOC website...I am just too lazy to look for it. :rolleyes:

B4IFURU18
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I saw some curling on tv the other day...according to the commentator curling is "pool on ice".that make me puke a little.wtf.:banghead:

OneArmed
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
I saw some curling on tv the other day...according to the commentator curling is "pool on ice".that make me puke a little.wtf.:banghead:

Have you ever curled? I curl in the winter, after all, I live in Minnesota.

You would be surprised how similar they are. You can 'throw' rocks with spin, and having pool knowledge actually helps in curling. As the skip, if you know how spherical objects react, it really does help.

Brian
08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
"Pool Needs More Respect!!!!!!".....Why? The movies, books , stories etc that are most enjoyed regarding pool have a certain sleaze factor that exposes a world very few actually ever get to enjoy.Respect the ability of those that can play the game at an expert level and enjoy the colorful background that makes the game fun and interesting.Pool will not go away because it is associated with gambling, hustlers and rough rooms.Those that appreciate cue sports will remain loyal.A new generation will always be up and coming.Colorful characters will remain legendary and /or controversial.Great debates will continue regarding every aspect of a player, tournament, great shot etc.I enjoy the game for the competition,creativity, playing against my friends, the perfect blend of art and science and those times when I pull off the miracle shot.I have never played pool to be considered respectable.Work is to gain respectability. Pool is a sacred place of serenity.
Brian

jimmy-leggs
08-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I was watching today and could'nt believe that Bmx downhill racing is an olympic sport.My god,Whats next snowboarding in the winter olympics.OOPS............SORRY,ENOUGH SAID.

sputnik
08-19-2008, 07:59 PM
I just posted this in another thread...

It is always easy to look at things from within. While it is true that pool has a good following, it is contained within a few selected regions in the globe. It is like asking restaurants world-wide to always have chopsticks as a ready eating utensil because of the number of Chinese in the world.

The Olympic parade will humble even the above average student of geography, and it will shake any claims that pool holds a vast demographic representation.

Looking at the structure of IOC/WCBS/WPA tree, one will see that WPA still needs a lot of conquering to do in over 130 participating countries of the Olympic games. Perhaps the system and the geographical influence that WCBS/WPA thrives in -- perhaps it is the best they can do -- is just not enough for the IOC.

The problem is that there are many rationalizations that we can object with in what are now already integrated in the IOC (like equestrian, archery, etc), and we can do little about the arguments. Pool has to stand in line, and when our turn comes up, we have to show demographics and fairness in how the sport is being conducted.

With the high cost of airfares and accommodations, it will be hard for us to reach out to a Micronesian pool whiz to join qualifiers, even with efforts to have him brought by his government. WCBS/WPA will have to find a way to conquer virgin areas. All these sanction fees paid to a non-profit WPA can probably be put into good use by giving back to the sport with introducing new players from new places to us. We know that it is financially impossible to span the world all at once, but a sincere effort to reach out may matter to IOC. Perhaps technology can be used to assess, qualify, and sponsor new assets into the sport (by video).

We all have to embrace the new participants (like the emerging Vietnamese pool players), develop them and integrate them into our Olympic dream. We should have more Tony Dragos who gallantly represents his country practically all by his lonesome.

I believe that there is now an administrative fatigue in the way pool is being ran because of the lack of dynamism, focus, altruism and accountability.

B4IFURU18
08-19-2008, 09:46 PM

You would be surprised how similar they are. You can 'throw' rocks with spin, and having pool knowledge actually helps in curling. As the skip, if you know how spherical objects react, it really does help.

I never curled, that's true.Looks kind of funny to me. A guy throws a rock and then yells to the others to broom. But its an olympic sport so what do I know...

poolpimp13
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Pool will be an Olympic sport just as soon as they let in darts, horseshoes, beer pong and cornhole. As lame as some (well, most) of the Olympic sports are, you're never going to see them include bar games. Now if someone decided to create the Barlympics...

Pool in the Olympics wouldn't help the game anyway, although I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered in about 62 other threads. Don't feel bad though. The darts guys feel just as pissy about their game being excluded from the Olympics too (at least they did in 2006). The article in The Guardian is actually pretty amusing, as you could remove the word "darts", replace it with "pool" and have the same argument that's been made over and over again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/jan/04/sport.gdnsport3
pool is a lot harder than alot of what they call sports in the olymphics.

Dawgie
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM

WTF else would you do in Minnesota in the winter? Besides drinking, I mean. LMAO:groucho: :thumbup:

OneArmed
08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
WTF else would you do in Minnesota in the winter? Besides drinking, I mean. LMAO:groucho: :thumbup:

I suppose sit in the pool hall :)

OneArmed
08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
I never curled, that's true.Looks kind of funny to me. A guy throws a rock and then yells to the others to broom. But its an olympic sport so what do I know...

I also split my pants once in the middle of the curling club. That was slightly humourous. Don't wear jeans on the ice...

The most similar part is when you have rocks contact other rocks already in play. Depending on what spin is on the rock, and how you contact them, you can do caroms and combinations.

cuetable
08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi, this is a repost from Some Free "Billiard for Olympics" Desktop Backgrounds For Your Computer (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=109352)

......With the recent discussion on adding billiard sports to the Olympics, we have also caught the fever here and come up with some ideas. :) With some existing CueTable artworks, we have put together some free desktop pictures for people to enjoy. Simply right-click on any of the links below and save the file to your computer. Please share it with your friends if you'd like...

With Texts

1600 x 1200 (http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympics16001200.jpg) | 1024 x 768 (http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympics1024768.jpg) | 800 x 600 (http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympic800600.jpg)

http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympic800600.jpg

Without Texts

1600 x 1200 (http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympics16001200plain.jpg) | 1024 x 768 (http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympics1024768plain.jpg) | 800 x 600 (http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympic800600plain.jpg)

http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardSportForOlympic800600plain.jpg

If you are interested, we have made some "Billiard Olympics" polo shirts available for purchase ($25 S, M, L, XL, XXL)

http://cuetable.com/pub/200808/BilliardOlympics.jpg

You can check it out at http://www.cafepress.com/CueTable.293799655

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Black-Balled
08-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Pool will be an Olympic sport just as soon as they let in darts, horseshoes, beer pong and cornhole.

How do you play cornhole...never mind. I do not want to know any more about it.:eek: :eek2:

Steve Ellis
08-20-2008, 09:22 AM

I think the proper action would not be to add pool to the Olympics, but to remove one hell of a lot of dumb events. I never remember reading about the ancient Greeks twirling ribbons and dancing with hoola-hoops.

Black-Balled
08-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I was watching today and could'nt believe that Bmx downhill racing is an olympic sport.My god,Whats next snowboarding in the winter olympics.OOPS............SORRY,ENOUGH SAID.
Have to disagree with that one...

DaveK
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I never curled, that's true.Looks kind of funny to me.

Now you know how pool looks to non-poolplayers .... "kinda funny". But you can drink while playing pool or curling or throwing darts or playing shuffleboard ... try that on a bumpy little bicycle Mr. Black Balls :p ... wait, you probably have tried that :embarrassed2:

Dave

Black-Balled
08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Now you know how pool looks to non-poolplayers .... "kinda funny". But you can drink while playing pool or curling or throwing darts or playing shuffleboard ... try that on a bumpy little bicycle Mr. Black Balls :p ... wait, you probably have tried that :embarrassed2:

Dave

I have ridden my bike under the influence of ___and____and_______and____and_______and____and___

I am sensing a pattern here.

(MY PEE IS CLEAN!)

B4IFURU18
08-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Dave

Plus you can be obese while playing pro level. That doesn't help either. :p

Scaramouche
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Up late watching the Olympics (don't ask me why), notice some stupid events over there in Beijing like ... trampoline are an Olympic event.

I agree. Trampoline is a stupid event for the Olympics.

Everybody knows that it is just the introductory when starting training for the Aerials, a real Winter Olympics event.:grin: :grin: :grin:

As for pool needing more respect, need does not enter into the equation.

Has pool earned respect?

If the answer is no .......