PDA

View Full Version : When is the cue ball restricted to behind the headstring?

Surly
08-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I've been brushing up on my rules and was surprised to see that fouls result in ball in hand and can be placed anywhere on the table. Years ago when I was being schooled, the cue ball always went behind the head string.

But I see in the fouls section of the rules, "When the cue ball is restricted to the head of the table..." I'm confused because I'm not seeing any fouls that result in this restriction... :confused:

pocketspeed
08-10-2008, 06:27 AM
I've been brushing up on my rules and was surprised to see that fouls result in ball in hand and can be placed anywhere on the table. Years ago when I was being schooled, the cue ball always went behind the head string.

But I see in the fouls section of the rules, "When the cue ball is restricted to the head of the table..." I'm confused because I'm not seeing any fouls that result in this restriction... :confused:

if youre talking about the world standarized rules for 8 ball, its ball in hand behind the headstring when you scatch on the break. all other fouls and BIH anywhere on the table. this is only world standarized rules. most "bar rules" games are BIH behind the headstring on a foul. making sure you know what rules youre playing by saves a lot of arguing later on

brian

JoeyInCali
08-10-2008, 06:27 AM
What game, whose rules?
In 8-ball, a scratch after the break, is the only foul I know of, in 8-ball and 9-ball, where the cueball has to be in the kitchen .

Surly
08-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks, Brian.

Joey: I'm just an 8/9 ball player, not rated yet, just trying to hone my game. I was reading the World Billiards/Pool Assoc. rules.

randyg
08-10-2008, 06:33 AM
One pocket-14.1

JoeyInCali
08-10-2008, 06:39 AM
One pocket-14.1
Was ball-in-hand term ever used in 1P or 14.1?

JoeyInCali
08-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Brian.

Joey: I'm just an 8/9 ball player, not rated yet, just trying to hone my game. I was reading the World Billiards/Pool Assoc. rules.
They used to spot the fouled ball before Texas Express rules came out.

mantis99
08-10-2008, 07:26 AM
The rules played by in most competitive events would use the kitchen rule only after the break in 8 ball, and never in 9 ball. I don't really consider "bar rules" to be anything but made up rules, but it is important to realize that most people playing in that tyoe of scene do not know the APA, BCA, or world standardized rules, so you should clarify how you are playing first. Also realize that they will look at you like you have 2 heads if you say you get BIH in 8 ball.

Pushout
08-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Not ball-in-hand-anywhere, no.

mullyman
08-10-2008, 09:29 AM

Only when they say "Ball-in-hand behind the head string" (14.1)

Sorry, I don't know the rules of one hole good enough to answer that one.
MULLY