PDA

View Full Version : I Finally Won a Tournement and Got Paid Less Than Minimum Wage...

DelaWho???
08-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I have been playing in small local tourneys for about the past 2 yrs, and the best I have been able to do is second. I finally broke through and Won a Tourney!!!! :grin: :grin: I did have a partner, playing a handicapped alternating shot 8 ball tourney. My partner and I had to give up as many as 2 games in a race to 4 because we were maxed in handicap. Everyone around here plays APA so this tourney used players APA handicap with a cap of 10. I'm an sl4, my partner an sl6. It was $10 per person to get in. The bracket was a full 16 teams playing on TWO :eek: valley barboxes.
We were there from 12pm to about 12:30am and we took first place. It was 8hrs to play our first 2 matches. We lost the third match (after sitting a couple hrs waiting to play) ended up in the losers bracket where we made a stand sending everyone we met home. We had 1 break and run all day. We get to the final match and meet the team that put us on the loser side of the bracket (4-1) they were another sl10 team so the final was a race to 4. We beat them 4-2 to win a total of $170. Take out the $20 in entry fees, and we made a cool $75 a piece for 12 1/2 hrs of work. That's good money right there....:rolleyes:

I don't really care about the money, I WON THE WHOLE SHOOTIN MATCH * with partner * Next stop individual tourney win :thumbup:

Thanks for reading, I just had to share. This has been a goal of mine for quite awhile, and I am elated to have acheived it. Obviously I couldn't have done it without a great partner...:thumbup: :thumbup:

:grin-square:

selftaut
08-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Congrats on your 1st taste of victory!! Forget about the money, we all do it for the love of the game.

inside_english
08-10-2008, 07:02 AM
I have been playing in small local tourneys for about the past 2 yrs, and the best I have been able to do is second. I finally broke through and Won a Tourney!!!! :grin: :grin: I did have a partner, playing a handicapped alternating shot 8 ball tourney. My partner and I had to give up as many as 2 games in a race to 4 because we were maxed in handicap. Everyone around here plays APA so this tourney used players APA handicap with a cap of 10. I'm an sl4, my partner an sl6. It was $10 per person to get in. The bracket was a full 16 teams playing on TWO :eek: valley barboxes.
We were there from 12pm to about 12:30am and we took first place. It was 8hrs to play our first 2 matches. We lost the third match (after sitting a couple hrs waiting to play) ended up in the losers bracket where we made a stand sending everyone we met home. We had 1 break and run all day. We get to the final match and meet the team that put us on the loser side of the bracket (4-1) they were another sl10 team so the final was a race to 4. We beat them 4-2 to win a total of $170. Take out the $20 in entry fees, and we made a cool $75 a piece for 12 1/2 hrs of work. That's good money right there....:rolleyes:

I don't really care about the money, I WON THE WHOLE SHOOTIN MATCH * with partner * Next stop individual tourney win :thumbup:

Thanks for reading, I just had to share. This has been a goal of mine for quite awhile, and I am elated to have acheived it. Obviously I couldn't have done it without a great partner...:thumbup: :thumbup:

Maybe now you can buy a dictionary...LOL

Just kidding, congrats!

BillyKoda
08-10-2008, 07:29 AM
When I win our local tournies the cheese usually takes care of my beer consumption, jukebox contributions and maybe a 6 or 12 pack at the local store. Anyway you look at it it is a day of pool for FREE and you can't beat that.

Drawman623
08-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Congratulations. It's gotta feel good. Get right back there and watch the other teams choke when they see you coming. It is almost as sweet as winning to see your opponent play bad because he knows who you are. Think of yourself as a winner no matter who you face.

Scott Lee
08-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Way to go Dan! Congratulations! It's tough waiting a long time to play, but you showed your confidence, by being able to come back...ALL THE WAY. :thumbup: Good luck in your next tournament!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

ScottW
08-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Sixteen teams and it took 12 hours to complete? Phew!

But, all it takes is one uber-slow team to slow the whole thing down...

jay helfert
08-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Reminds me of the famous quote by Tang Hoa after playing four days and winning $1,000 for 9-12th place in a major tournament. I asked him how he did on the phone. His response to me "I got paid minimum wage again". I loved that line.

rkim99
08-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Congratulations!

I actually still remember my first tourney win (16 years ago). It's something you never forget.

Take a bow, nice job.

Sincerely,

Richard

chefjeff
08-10-2008, 09:14 AM

DelaWho? Dela da man!

Jeff Livingston

Ste
08-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Well done ! Good luck for the next one. You've a title to defend now !

Don't spend the winnings all at once now ;)

CocoboloCowboy
08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Congrats on your 1st taste of victory!! Forget about the money, we all do it for the love of the game.

Well said.:thumbup:

Heyalex40
08-10-2008, 10:01 AM
$20 in entry fees, and we made a cool $75 a piece for 12 1/2 hrs of work. That's good money right there....

It's real simple. If you want to win big money you have play in the high dollar tourneys with $1000 entry fees and pool players have shown, time and time again that they are not willing to do that. You will never see the prize money in pool that they have in poker for that same reason

DelaWho???
08-10-2008, 04:04 PM
$20 in entry fees, and we made a cool $75 a piece for 12 1/2 hrs of work. That's good money right there....

It's real simple. If you want to win big money you have play in the high dollar tourneys with $1000 entry fees and pool players have shown, time and time again that they are not willing to do that. You will never see the prize money in pool that they have in poker for that same reason

I'd play in them if they were available here....I did go over to MD for the state 9 ball championship. Paid $65 in entry fee, pretty sure I was dead money walking in the door. I didn't care though, I just wanted to ruin someones day...:grin-square: I played the best pool of my life at that tourney, and gave both my opponents a run for their money (7-9, 6-7)
I walked out of there feeling great and also like I knew nothing about this game. It was exilerating and humbling at the same time.

Mike Janis bring a tourney to Delaware and I will help fill the bracket.

Thanks for all the nice replies. Thay mean as much to me as the win last night..;)

Dawgie
08-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Was this 8 ball? I didn't know APA had a SL10 in 8 ball.

dgam
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Was this 8 ball? I didn't know APA had a SL10 in 8 ball.
I am pretty sure its a combined skill level.

DelaWho???
08-11-2008, 04:02 AM
I am pretty sure its a combined skill level.

Right, 8 ball using APA rules and handicapping, not sanctioned by the APA in any way shape or form. Combined sl for a team was capped at 10 (I'm sl4 my partner an sl6) Alternating shot (Scotch Doubles) total team handicap is divided by 2 to get the handicap, with odd numbers rounding up. IE my partner and I having a combined sl10 means we play as an sl5 making our race to 4 racks. A team with a total sl of 7 (say and sl3, sl4) would play as an sl4 making the race for that team 3 racks.

It was a lot of fun, but grueling with long periods of down time and no available practice table. We'll do it again next month unless my APA handicap moves to a sl5 and I have to find another partner...:mad:

:cool:

Colin Colenso
08-11-2008, 04:09 AM
"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned". - Fast Eddie Felson

Well done Dela. You're hooked now!

Colin

Snapshot9
08-11-2008, 04:29 AM
but I am having a hard time believing you won the tournament, but only had 1 Break and run.

Craig Fales
08-11-2008, 07:03 AM

I don't think you can factor in sitting at the bar into the equation....:grin-square:

Exactly...it costs $10,000 to get in those bigger poker tourneys...

crawfish
08-11-2008, 07:17 AM
You kind of knew the payout going in, didn't you? Let's face it. You're saying this like you were playin' in the million dollar shootout. It's a local tournament and it was fun, right? Congrats, and keep spearin' em in.

DelaWho???
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
You kind of knew the payout going in, didn't you? Let's face it. You're saying this like you were playin' in the million dollar shootout. It's a local tournament and it was fun, right? Congrats, and keep spearin' em in.

Yeah I knew what the money was going to be once it started. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the payout, more crowing about my first 1st place finish. The same establishment runs a Saturday night 9 ball tourney (double elim race to 2 :rolleyes: ) There are 3 tables in the club and they kicked off the 9 ball tourney at 8pm while there were still 8 teams left in the doubles tourney (doubles hapens once a month). It got to the point where there were people playing in both tourneys and I end up waiting to play my match because one of my opponents is shooting his 9 ball match :mad: The 9 ball tourney finished up before the doubles, it was a really long day.

Money won is sweeter than money earned, I just wish they had a couple more tables...

I don't know that there were many break and runs all day. Most every team had a lower skilled player (that would be me on my team) and it is harder than it seems to work with a partner, you might only shoot with once a month, and get that break and run.
I think it's because you want to leave your partner good, so you focus on that instead of doing what you would normally do, play the table. I heard "sorry about that partner" more times than I could count that day, I said it a few times myself.

The Friday night 8 ball tourney is even harder to win (I've taken 2nd twice) It's double elim 8 ball but it's only 1 rack of pool. Lose the lag you might lose the match. 2 mistakes and you're going home (1 per rack)

My goal is to win that one, and the Saturday night 9 ball tourney before the end of the year

I wish there were a few larger tourney around here I would be in it to win it..

:cool: