PDA

View Full Version : Bummer!

mullyman
08-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Was out shooting some pool tonight, laid my cue down on the table to rack the balls and the damn thing rolled over all on it's own. I was like "WTF?!?!" so I start rolling and there is a wobble. I pick it up, sight down the length of the cue and sure enough the shaft is warped a little. This is my JMW that I haven't even had a year yet. I always keep the cue stored in my case, in a room that is pretty much the same temperature all the time and this happens. I am so bummed it's not even funny.
MULLY

Cuebuddy
08-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Sorry to here that. Do you think that it is a result of the fall, like a bent pin or did you just happen to notice it at that same time?

thomba02
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
if you got it shipped to japan from somewhere with a different climate, that might have caused the warpage. especially since its only in the shaft--where the raw wood is exposed.

Tommyd1
08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
When you store your cue in a case do you lay it flat ?

Or standing in the case perfectly straight up with the base of the butt downward and tips down ?

Is it leaned in it's case against anything so its not perfectly straight up ?

Just wondering because I have cues that I don't play with often and I've not really heard anything her on AZ that was really a definitive answer on the best way to store your cue's in a case so they won't warp.

Thanks Tommyd1

skor
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Are you sure it's just the shaft?
I hope it's just the shaft and not the butt cause would truly s$#k.

Don't look for reasons, wood is wood and it's hard to predict and these things happen, yeah it's a bummer when it happens to you but that's life....
I've heard of many SW shafts that warped for Asian players.
I guess the different climate between the USA and Asia doesn't help either.

SCCues
08-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Was out shooting some pool tonight, laid my cue down on the table to rack the balls and the damn thing rolled over all on it's own. I was like "WTF?!?!" so I start rolling and there is a wobble. I pick it up, sight down the length of the cue and sure enough the shaft is warped a little. This is my JMW that I haven't even had a year yet. I always keep the cue stored in my case, in a room that is pretty much the same temperature all the time and this happens. I am so bummed it's not even funny.
MULLY
I would be sick to my stomach. I think it just happens some times because of the piece of wood that was used. It could have been turned ever so carefully and when the conditions were right it just pulls a little bit out of line. To me a warped shaft is fire wood and my only answer is to get a new shaft. I can't play with a warped shaft even if it doesn't affect my play. In my mind if I miss and the shaft isn't straight I immediately think it's the shaft that caused me to miss. If i'm playing with a straight shaft I don't have an excuse.

James

jay helfert
08-10-2008, 11:30 AM
MULLY

No question wood can move. But the good news is Jerry can whip up another shaft. :wink:

ArizonaPete
08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
MULLY
Roll the shaft by itself at various positions on the table. You might be rolling it over a seam in the slate. If you don't see a wobble, then try doing it screwed into the but. Again, try different positions on the table. Hope it's the table...

mullyman
08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Roll the shaft by itself at various positions on the table. You might be rolling it over a seam in the slate. If you don't see a wobble, then try doing it screwed into the but. Again, try different positions on the table. Hope it's the table...

I sighted it down the length of the cue, it's warped. I used to work in a guitar shop doing repairs and I've seen so many warped necks that a warped shaft is spotted no problem. This really bums me.

Someone had some questions so here are the answers.

When you store your cue in a case do you lay it flat ?

No, it's standing, slightly leaning up against the wall.

Or standing in the case perfectly straight up with the base of the butt downward and tips down ?

Answered above. Joint pin up, tips down.

Is it leaned in it's case against anything so its not perfectly straight up ?

Answered above. Yes.

The only difference in my cues life is that I went from an Instroke tube style case to the Justis Pro-Lite. I really hope the freedom of the pro-lite didn't not stop this.
MULLY

3andstop
08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Don't look for reasons, wood is wood and it's hard to predict and these things happen

Truer words were never spoken! That's why I buy my clear maple shafts on Ebay for 25 bucks. So that when they warp (very rarely) I chitcan them and simply get another one without feeling like jumping off a building.

Put a good tip on them, (most have good tips to begin with) work them with some 1200 and a fresh dollar bill and you're good to go.

It would be an extremely cold day in hell when I pay 200 dollars for a cue shaft unless it was made of gold.

mullyman
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I know wood can warp, especially a piece that is so thin, but this is the first time this has ever happened to me. Like I said, I keep my cues in a room that is pretty much the same temperature all the time and very little humidity. Just bummed, that's all. My spare shaft doesn't seem to be warped at all so I guess I'll move over to using that one.
MULLY

Fatboy
08-11-2008, 02:49 AM
its not how you stored it, its the humidity or lack of humidity that makes wood move, the older it is the less it moves. I have had brand new Szamboti shafts warp on me because i'm in vegas and its super dry here, I have had alot of problems with this over the years, when you live here you learn about it. It might straighten out over time too, I have seen that happen as well many times, If you send it back where it came from it will straighten out fast-I'm 100% sure the wood in the shaft was newer wood.

ace911
08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Mully, you thinking the tubing, or lack of tubing in the prolite did this?

mullyman
08-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Mully, you thinking the tubing, or lack of tubing in the prolite did this?

I honestly don't want to think that but it's the only difference in the past 20 years. I really couldn't say though. JMW may have used wood that was a little young for shafts, but I'm sure he got it from Mottey stock so I can't see that happening. I really don't know, man.
MULLY
sometimes wood warps

Pinocchio
08-11-2008, 07:50 PM
The Bengals are up 20 to 10 on the Packers in preseason this could be your year......................
Pinocchio

ace911
08-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Thats what always worried me a bit about the prolite, whether it was enough protection without tubing.

Jack Justis
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Thats what always worried me a bit about the prolite, whether it was enough protection without tubing.

Well, you can stop worrying. Tubes or no tubes wood is wood and it will move. Some wood moves easier than other wood. Climatic changes will bring it on. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, short of keeping it in a humidify controlled vault and never take it out. Blaming shaft warping on anything other than the wood is ludicrous. Sometimes you get a perfect piece of wood, carefully rested between turns, sometimes you don't. Its part of life and you just have to live with it. It has nothing to do with the case, trust me on this one.

mullyman
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
The Bengals are up 20 to 10 on the Packers in preseason this could be your year......................
Pinocchio

Jesus, did you see our tackling in the first half? I didn't watch the second half but I can't imagine it got any better. We have some of the most butter fingered mother truckers in the NFL. Wrap them up, dammit!!!
MULLY

mullyman
08-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, you can stop worrying. Tubes or no tubes wood is wood and it will move. Some wood moves easier than other wood. Climatic changes will bring it on. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, short of keeping it in a humidify controlled vault and never take it out. Blaming shaft warping on anything other than the wood is ludicrous. Sometimes you get a perfect piece of wood, carefully rested between turns, sometimes you don't. Its part of life and you just have to live with it. It has nothing to do with the case, trust me on this one.

I trust ya, Jack. Like I said, I didn't want to think it was the case change. This is just the first time I've had a shaft warp on me......and it's my JMW :frown:
MULLY