PDA

View Full Version : The REAL winner from Asian 9Ball Tour...

daddypool
03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
The Singapore leg of the Asian 9Ball tour just ended just now. I watched all the TV table matches. Gandy Valle(Phillipines) won in a close 11-9 win over Wu(ChineseTaipei).

As expected everyone was great...and many spectacular matches & shots! Bustamante played flawlessly in the early stages of the quater finals leading Yang 6-0...but the "son of pool" came back immpressively from behind to win 9-7! (Alternate break format!) WOW!

Anyway, of all of them, I was most impressed with 16year old Wu Chia Ching.(Nickname:Taisun (Little Genius)) We heard about him last year, and man, how fast is he coming up the scene! He was so close to winning this tournament!

He beat Chao Fong pang in a close hill-hill in Rd2 (Chao was leading all the way..till the end). What i am so impressed with, is his composure and focus. Throughout the tournament, he didn't even played his best...some scrappy matches and shots here & there..plus "Bad" decision-making and safeties too (IMO)...but he held himself together against some of the world's best. He did not let the limelight get to his head, just played with pure hunger and focus.

Youth...but this boy...WOW! Imagine if he was in his best! (Or if he gets more exposure than this with International Pros soon, like the WPC). A pimple-faced teenager, with a big build, power break,but an excellent touch with great cueball control, table knowledge, and composure.

Many youngsters play very well,(most likely from US, PHI, and Taipei) but when put to this test with world champs, more often than not, they will succumb to the pressure. With this kid, he wasn't even like an underdog at all. The locals are already fearing him, now for the rest of the world!

Man, I've never praised a 16year old this much! wonder what i did when i was 16.(oh yeah ...skateboarding and scarring myself!) This kid is scarring adult Pool Pros' careers! now he's a runner-up. MARK my words, he will be a champ for a major title soon. He's already a champ to me...Damn! he's impressive!

p.s. he got a cheque for US$5000 for runner-up.
I got all TV matches on VHS, if i can convert it digitally, will share at DC++.
Cheers, and congrats to Gandy Valle...who played very well, and deserved to win..which he did.
- daddypool

Link: http://www.espnstar.com/asian9ball/asian9ball_index.html

sniper
03-06-2005, 12:25 PM
We will certainly hear more from Wu in the near future, a future World Champion without a doubt, he might even break Hohmanns record for being the youngest world nine ball champion.

Muxy
03-06-2005, 03:00 PM
what is DC++

Celtic
03-06-2005, 05:38 PM
As good as he is I like Wu Yu-Lun even better due to his absolutely crushing break. Same age, from the same area, shooting pro level pool at 15.... The USA is in deep trouble, the game is going to be dominated by Asia and this San Miguel tour where the money is actually decent and the competition is good will not help the USA compete at all, those guys are going to be hard as nails from competing all year against each other when they get to the worlds compared to the USA guys who bounce around loosely to various odd little tournies with often questionable competition. Shocks me the USA cannot get its act together and get a true tour with decent money and is getting shown up by Asia. Its going to show when the USA players start dropping like flies when they have to compete against them. The ONLY player in the USA who I think can compete on an even level with any of the top players on the Asian tour is Archer, thats it and he aint gonna be young forever.

daddypool
03-06-2005, 06:18 PM
what is DC++

Hi Muxy, it is a file-sharing program. i wonder if there is an old thread regarding this? I believe Star sports will not mind me sharing this (?)..anyway, i need to get a convertor for my analog tapes 1st. I've always believed watching Pros on tape will widen your prospective on the game. so try to find out about DC++ more so you can observe players around the globe on video and the different techniques and styles. PM me if u wanna know more, as I am not too sure about "openly" discussing "sharing" files.
-daddypool

daddypool
03-06-2005, 06:23 PM
As good as he is I like Wu Yu-Lun even better due to his absolutely crushing break.

Yep. but a crushing break alone isn't gonna win u major titles and consistent competition with the giants. Temperament & self discipline, and gradual revelation of character will supermount. But i get your point..Asian pool youths are aggressively coming up...things are looking real competitive, especially with more media coverage & financial rewards.
-daddypool

Celtic
03-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Yep. but a crushing break alone isn't gonna win u major titles and consistent competition with the giants.
-daddypool

It helped him drill Wu Chia-Chang in the junior worlds. He is also competing alot in the same pro events in Asia and has some very good showings. Trust me, you will know who he is in the future.

Renegade
03-06-2005, 11:01 PM
wow, two great young pool players from taiwan named Wu. there ought to be a law.... :)

congratulations to wu and to valle! hope we see more of these young players soon. meanwhile, i hope i can get me some copies of those vids of yours, daddy pool. where can i get dc++?

Bobby
03-06-2005, 11:01 PM
As good as he is I like Wu Yu-Lun even better due to his absolutely crushing break. Same age, from the same area, shooting pro level pool at 15.... The USA is in deep trouble, the game is going to be dominated by Asia and this San Miguel tour where the money is actually decent and the competition is good will not help the USA compete at all, those guys are going to be hard as nails from competing all year against each other when they get to the worlds compared to the USA guys who bounce around loosely to various odd little tournies with often questionable competition. Shocks me the USA cannot get its act together and get a true tour with decent money and is getting shown up by Asia. Its going to show when the USA players start dropping like flies when they have to compete against them. The ONLY player in the USA who I think can compete on an even level with any of the top players on the Asian tour is Archer, thats it and he aint gonna be young forever.

Are you serious? You think Archer is the only
American capable of playing with the top Asians?
As good as Archer is I don't even consider him the
top American, IMO Corey Deuel is the best right now.
Not to mention, Rodney Morris, Jeremy Jones, Gabe
Owen, Earl Strickland, all of which are Top players.

Renegade
03-06-2005, 11:04 PM
did pagulayan play in the san miguel asian 9ball? i only got to see the quarterfinals.....

miko
03-07-2005, 08:47 AM
did pagulayan play in the san miguel asian 9ball? i only got to see the quarterfinals.....

nope, pagulayan was not part of the filipino entourage

parvus1202
03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
If I remember it right, Wu stationed in the Philippines for a few months when he was 14 or 15 to take up training. I remember because I was there on my holiday.
His manager said that to be able to compete world class he needs to train in Manila. By doing so he adds a lot more to his already dangerous arsenal.

buddha162
03-07-2005, 01:42 PM

I would add Strickland and Morris to Archer's name, that's it.

The rest will probably not be competitive on the Taiwanese pro tour, let alone San Miguel (Taiwan + Philipines).

-Roger

Celtic
03-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I would add Strickland and Morris to Archer's name, that's it.

The rest will probably not be competitive on the Taiwanese pro tour, let alone San Miguel (Taiwan + Philipines).

-Roger

Strickland is only good when he is leading, when he is down he is done and he would be down alot against that calibre of player. Mental problems doom the guy, he needs to learn how to win from behind instead of loosing a gasket every time someone starts beating him.

Morris is no Archer, he is a step below him IMO and does not have the experiance or the aura to deal with the top Asian players on a even field.

Archer is the ONLY player the USA has right now that I think is a even money bet against people like Reyes, Bustamente, Yang, Chao, Wu, ect....

Those other guys are good and might get a set or two, on their best day they may have a hope of winning. Morris and Strickland are underdogs against the best from that tour, Archer is the only one that would among the other favorites entering those events and even money against those players in the betting circles.

sjm
03-07-2005, 06:07 PM

The record says otherwise. Archer won many titles in 2004 and was the dominant player on American soil. He was also the only American to reach the quarterfinals of the world championships. It's not clear how one might make a case for anybody else being the top American right now.

I do agree, however, that the others on your list are all capable of beating Asia's best.

daddypool
03-07-2005, 07:01 PM
I watched a little and there were quite a few Americans and Europeans in this tournament. I, for example, saw Steve Davis taken to the cleaners.

Huh? you must be talking about the WPC?

daddypool
03-07-2005, 07:18 PM
It helped him drill Wu Chia-Chang in the junior worlds. He is also competing alot in the same pro events in Asia and has some very good showings. Trust me, you will know who he is in the future.

Actually i think i already know who you are referring to..but winning a player once is good memories & an experience, but shining against the top pros in a premier tourney in most appearances, says a lot more.

Anyway, THAT'S JUST IT!..when a young Taiwanese talent is mentioned and coming up, its like there's no suprise, and even debates on who is better, more potential,etc. Thats how strong the future of pool in Taiwan is! Archer & Strickland are great,IMO, but in 20years or more...or less,for that matter, who will be their "replacements"? & of what calibre? That is what Asian Pool is fortunate of...

(next thing you know, we get Jet Li-types playing trick-shots, karate kicks/swings at pool/snooker balls....like in the movie..haha!) (Pegulayan may try it, but i hope not Wu!)

Celtic
03-07-2005, 09:34 PM
These two Wu guys are brothers.

Where did you hear they were brothers? I am 99% sure you are wrong.

Renegade
03-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I did not hear it, I read it...I read it from the cue magazine from Japan. The issue with Akumi on the cover.

yikes. you mean there's two of them? and brothers to boot. might be the making of a dynasty here.....

buddha162
03-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Those other guys are good and might get a set or two, on their best day they may have a hope of winning.

Perhaps, but let me tell you that Strickland and especially Morris are both highly respected in Taiwan. In fact, if you watch tournaments broadcasted in Taiwan, you often hear those three names mentioned as the only U.S. players that pose a threat to Asian pool in any significant way (Archer, Morris, Strickland). Corey used to be on that list, and maybe he will be again...

In case you forget, Strickland won the WPC in 2002, and reached the final 8 in 2003 and final 16 in 2004. The man is 45 years old, and still a threat to win the world championship everytime he enters. The Taiwanese players/fans/commentators treat him with all due respect (despite his antics, lol)

-Roger

SplicedPoints
03-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Morris seems to be the most respected. He apparently went to Taiwan before he went to jail and cleaned up the gambling tables against the likesof Chao, Yang, Chang (WPC runner up 4 or 5 years ago) and etc. That was more than 7 years ago I think. Things have changed since, but the respect's still there. Archer's not so much feared, because he has lost so many matches to taiwanese players in recent WPCs, though he's still respected. Earl's always respected, but he has never done that well playing in the tournaments in taiwan. The other players from the US are usually no-shows for Asian tournaments.

I doubt there will be a flood of Taiwanese players comming to the US for tournaments. There are enough tournaments in Asia (Taiwanese tour, Asian tour, Japanese tournaments, and etc) and most players are invovled in other businesses (either as a coach or as a room owner) to allow them to come to the US. Most tournamnets in the US don't pay more than the tournaments in Asia. It costs quite a bit to come to the US (air fare + hotels) for a tournament. If the US has a $30K+ tournament at least once a month, then maybe you'll see them comming. Otherwise, only the tournaments like the BCA and the US open will attract them.

daddypool
03-08-2005, 04:04 AM
I doubt there will be a flood of Taiwanese players comming to the US for tournaments.

True, and plus the fact that most don't speak English well, if any at all...it is really a discouragement if you can't converse well with Americans or while in US. Of course some players learn English while on the road, but that's still rare. Imagine top ten Taiwanese players go on the road together, not speaking a word of English..just kicking asses in silence! haha!

When i met Yang, i spoke to him in English, and he replied to me in Mandarin! (lucky i spoke the language). he's humble, but with a very soft handshake! (i guess he's living proof you don't need to be strong to have a powerful break!)

buddha162
03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't know how Steve Davis got in there with the rest of the Asian 9 ball TV matches I was watching, but I can tell you one thing for sure, the crowd was definitely Far East and it was definitely Steve Davis.

You're talking about last year's World Pool Championships which was held in Taipei, Taiwan. It will be in Taiwan again this year, except in Kaoshung City (where Chao and Yang are from)

And yes, the crowd will again be..."Far East"...

-Roger

sniper
03-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I think Celtic nailed it when he said Asia is ahead of the US right now, the results don't lie. At last years WPC Archer and Strickland went out to Chang Pei-Wei and Kuo both from Chinese Taipei, both Chang and Kuo are much younger inexperienced players and aren't even Asia's best in most people's opinion (Yang, Chao) The Strickland vs Kuo match wasn't even close. With young talents like the Wu's coming up and no serious contender here on the North American scene I fully expect Asia to dominate the international scene within ten years. You can have your opinion, but the results speak for itself.

SplicedPoints
03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
BTW, from what I've read, the two young Wus aren't brothers. I think they're from different towns actually. Wu Chia Ching has been playing semi-pro/pro pool in tw for a couple years now. I remember seeing him playing Yang once on TV 2 years ago; he lost narrowly. The Wu that won the world junior's not as well known and was only a middle school kid when he won the championship.

Celtic
03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I think Celtic nailed it when he said Asia is ahead of the US right now, the results don't lie. At last years WPC Archer and Strickland went out to Chang Pei-Wei and Kuo both from Chinese Taipei, both Chang and Kuo are much younger inexperienced players and aren't even Asia's best in most people's opinion (Yang, Chao) The Strickland vs Kuo match wasn't even close. With young talents like the Wu's coming up and no serious contender here on the North American scene I fully expect Asia to dominate the international scene within ten years. You can have your opinion, but the results speak for itself.

Pretty much yep. The USA will have noone that really has a hope of winning the WPC, they will watch their US Open money and trophy go back to Asia, they will be lucky that Asia has such a strong tour that pays decent money and keeps those players busy for the most part and away from the American tournaments. Morris went in 7 years ago and cleaned house, well Asia 7 years ago was also not the Asia of today, it is mostly young talent rising to hige levels of talent I am talking about so Morris missed playing those people who were 10-15 at the time. Plus with the San Miguel tour being such a phenomenally strong tour as far as player talent and such consistent money those players who are allowed to play in it (Asia only) have a huge advantage over the Americans who dont have a real tour and have to search around finding various tournaments from different organisations to choose to play. Then when the American finds his tournament it never has the depth of the San Miguel tour unless it is the US Open or the BCA, thats pretty much it. 2 tournaments a year to play in that are all top calibre players is not going to compete with Asia and their tour with tons of stops and every player in the event being as good as the 5th best American player at the low end and the top end having tons of players at the same level as Americas best of which there is 1 player, Archer. Let Morris try to go take out Asia now, I will be shocked if he got out with as much money as he goes in with. Let him try in 10 years, he would have no hope in hades the way that area is going up in skill.

The only thing that could save America is a strong tour and some YOUNG talent comming up that are playing awesome, I am talking about 14 year old that are running multiple racks already and playing at the speed of a Gabe Owen or Basavich. Thats what it would take because smart money would have been on Chia Chang Wu against Basavich last year for cash, and this year at 16 I dont think Basavich would want any of that kid at all and his recent 2nd in the Singapore stop of the San Miguel proves the kid can play, Basavich I dont think would have any hope of making a 2nd place showing in a tourney like that.

America needs a solid tour with predictable tour stops and decent money, nothing huge but a guarenteed $15,000 1st place down to $500 for 17-24 every week and about 20-30 tour stops. A tour where you have to qualify to play in it, you need to be a touring pro and when you are such you are into all the events on the tour, you dont have to pay to enter them, you are in as a pro. Huge money would come from the qualifiers for the tour set up alot like golf, corperate sponsership also would jump at the chance to get their name on a tournament for a tiny fraction of the price of golf on the hopes the new solid tour takes off much as golf did when it finally woke up and got its act together.

Renegade
03-09-2005, 09:27 PM
if wu didn't have to worry about his pimples during the championship i think you might have won.