PDA

View Full Version : Colin Aiming question for you?

fish on
08-10-2008, 12:19 PM
:thumbup: Hi I see you are on line.
I respect all your posts
I tried to aim with the ghost ball but on opposite side of object ball!
I usually have a jerky stroke at cue ball impact and this seems to smooth
things out with my stick going straight through the cue ball!
I talked to a Pro and asked him if he ever aimed this way?
He stated yes!
I will have to quiz him on this at another time as how often Etc.

fish on
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I respect all your posts
He stated yes!

Hey maybe some of you other guys can add your thoughts!

Colin Colenso
08-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I respect all your posts
He stated yes!
Hi Fish on,

Maybe you are referring to a thread I started over 3 years ago http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=20648

This is a variation of the CB meets OB contact point, but a method to estimate where the CB contact point is on the front side of the CB using mirror interpretation.

Regarding smoothing the stroke, I think all pre-alignment methods help to achieve this. That is, when you are fully decided on the aim line, before you make the stroke, you can relax more and play through the CB with the speed and spin required, rather than to adjust to fine tune the angle of the pot during the stroke as most players, albeit unknowingly do.

Colin

fish on
08-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Fish on,

Maybe you are referring to a thread I started over 3 years ago http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=20648

This is a variation of the CB meets OB contact point, but a method to estimate where the CB contact point is on the front side of the CB using mirror interpretation.

Regarding smoothing the stroke, I think all pre-alignment methods help to achieve this. That is, when you are fully decided on the aim line, before you make the stroke, you can relax more and play through the CB with the speed and spin required, rather than to adjust to fine tune the angle of the pot during the stroke as most players, albeit unknowingly do.

Colin
I read the thread you are referencing and I saw your great illustration but I didn't even go near that far with what I was asking.
I sometimes use a ghost ball for visualizing the contact point
I am going in reverse from center edge of pocket
back to contact point on back side of object ball picking that point, visualizing then getting down on shot and firing!

I watched your BHE video and I would recommend all to see !
You have a unique talent to make complex things simple!
thanks
you are the best!

Colin Colenso
08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I read the thread you are referencing and I saw your great illustration but I didn't even go near that far with what I was asking.
I sometimes use a ghost ball for visualizing the contact point
I am going in reverse from center edge of pocket
back to contact point on back side of object ball picking that point, visualizing then getting down on shot and firing!

I watched your BHE video and I would recommend all to see !
You have a unique talent to make complex things simple!
thanks
you are the best!Ok, I think I'm with you now Fish On.

Many great potters focus on the contact point. But aiming the cue, through the center of the CB to the OB contact point will only make the pot on straightish angles.

The contact point on the OB must hit the contact point of the CB which means you actually need to aim twice the distance of the OB contact point from the center of the OB.

eg. If you aim at a 90 degree cut, the edge of the CB will hit the edge of the OB. Hence, you need to aim 1/2 ball to the left of the OB.

So the contact point on the OB is really a reference point. You don't aim straight at it, except for straight shots.

The other thing about the contact point is that it is not easy to see. But obviously many players learn to use it as a reference point to focus on. Just be aware that you don't actually point your cue at this point.

Colin