PDA

View Full Version : Mini Mania at APA Nationals

Wazuela
08-10-2008, 06:43 PM
My team, unfortunately, was unable to qualify for the trip to Las Vegas.

I was, however, lucky enough to win the Captains draw for the trip.

I was wondering if anybody can tell me a little bit about the Mini Mania tournaments they have going on.

I would like to participate but somebody was telling me that you have to register for a tournament like 2 days in advance.

I'll only be there for 3 full days. I was hoping to play as many of these tournaments as i can.

D_Lewis
08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
they sell the places up to 48 hours in advance, they usually sell out. buy in advance

o2bacs
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM

I was wondering if anybody can tell me a little bit about the Mini Mania tournaments they have going on.

I would like to participate but somebody was telling me that you have to register for a tournament like 2 days in advance.

I'll only be there for 3 full days. I was hoping to play as many of these tournaments as i can.

Don't worry about it, spots open up like crazy. Many many many of the people who buy up the tourneys way in advance do not know whether they will be able to attend that particular time or not for many reasons, such as they might have to play with their team during that time(which I think happens most). So what will happen is right before the start of a particular mini tourney, any spots who have been sold back will be sold verbally over the microphone. All you need to do is hang out near the people running the tourneys and you will hear people selling their spots back left and right because they can't play right then. You then buy their spot and whalla you are in. If you were to look at the boards when you get there of what mini tourneys can you sign up for you will see that most likely 2-3-4 days in advance are all GONE. Don't fret just do what I said and have a blast. Win one for me :)

rossaroni
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM

They are usually full right away, but just wait at the front desk and you should be able to buy someone's spot. People by spots head of time, but often have aother match or something else going on-plenty of spots for sale usaually.

cycopath
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Buy anythng you think you might be interested in. If it happens that you can't play in a scheduled event, just sell your place at the registering area. Just announce you have a SL whatever spot for sale, and it will sell instantly.

rossaroni
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Buy anythng you think you might be interested in. If it happens that you can't play in a scheduled event, just sell your place at the registering area. Just announce you have a SL whatever spot for sale, and it will sell instantly.

Better yet, if you like action, just let everyone know that you have a spot for sale for the 1-2 SL, or whatever the lowest SL is. Then mention that maybe you will come back and gamble after your other match is done. Or maybe say you want to sell it, because you have lost 10 mini's in a row and don't feel like donating anymore! You can buy me a drink if this works! :thumbup:

UWPoolGod1
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Here is the supposed schedule...

http://www.poolplayers.com/documents/MiniScheduleNTC20080124nd.pdf

Straw_Hat
08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
do buy in advance.. over the years i've found it's much easier to sell something you no longer need, then to buy something later.. but if you're low skill level it's not hard. but all the higher skill level tourneys get bought faster then hell at the desk and it's a struggle. i normally buy 8-10 tourney's at a time every couple hours, and sometimes you get lucky and scalp them for more then what you paid for them...... or so i hear, being as that is not allowed in the apa.

Wazuela
08-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Don't fret just do what I said and have a blast. Win one for me :)
Thanks for the input! I'll win one for ya!

Wazuela
08-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Better yet, if you like action, just let everyone know that you have a spot for sale for the 1-2 SL, or whatever the lowest SL is. Then mention that maybe you will come back and gamble after your other match is done. Or maybe say you want to sell it, because you have lost 10 mini's in a row and don't feel like donating anymore! You can buy me a drink if this works! :thumbup:
Hmmmmmm......
Sounds like a good idea!
What's your drink of choice? Jager bombs, Coke & Rum, perhaps a Long Island Ice Tea?

Michael-Hoang
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
My experience of being there several years is that you can ALWAYS sell the events. Any time there is an announcement of an event for sale, it is sold almost instantly.

But to buy, you might have to be quick. So, it is better to buy several in advance. Then if you don't want it, you can always sell.

spoons
08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I'll add my two cents worth... When people say "buy in advance" they really mean "be in line before they officially start selling spots."

Based on the schedule in that link above, registration opens at 8am on the 15th. You'd better believe that line will be pretty long by 8am, because people will be ready and rearing to go. And, since there are only 16 spots in most of the tournaments, they sell out pretty fast.

So, do your homework and pick the minis that you'd like to play in (what else do you have to do in the airport, anyway?), and buy as many as you can, or as many as they'll let you buy on Friday morning during registration. That way, you don't have to worry about it for the next three days, and you can just relax and enjoy your time there. It'd be a shame to have to sit by the Control Table for three days waiting for the right spot to go up for sale.

Plus, as has been said, you'll have a much easier time selling a spot you don't want than buying one later.

Either way, good luck and have a blast. I wish I was going again this year...but I'm not.