PDA

View Full Version : Maybe What Pool Needs is

Johnnyt
08-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Players can't get together on putting together an organization. Purse money not paid. You have tournaments taking out more than fair amounts from entry and purse funds. No set territory for tours. The soon as someone that might be able to organize pool steps up he is knocked down by all the self-interest people or groups in the industry. There are pro players that start tours for themselves and their friends to cash in on half the purse money for the year. There is constant business going on between some players. I am not talking about every tour or player out there, but there are far too many of them doing this for pool to ever go anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned pool would be better off with Don King or the mob running it. At least there would be rules to follow and they WOULD be followed. Again, there are a lot of good honest players and tours out there, but way too many rotten apples to ever get pool to the next level. Johnnyt

bandido
08-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Players can't get together on putting together an organization. Purse money not paid. You have tournaments taking out more than fair amounts from entry and purse funds. No set territory for tours. The soon as someone that might be able to organize pool steps up he is knocked down by all the self-interest people or groups in the industry. There are pro players that start tours for themselves and their friends to cash in on half the purse money for the year. There is constant business going on between some players. I am not talking about every tour or player out there, but there are far too many of them doing this for pool to ever go anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned pool would be better off with Don King or the mob running it. At least there would be rules to follow and they WOULD be followed. Again, there are a lot of good honest players and tours out there, but way too many rotten apples to ever get pool to the next level. Johnnyt

Those are the reasons why we formed the BMPAP. Players though don't have the administrative knowledge, industry connections nor the interest and time to run such so we non-players run it. Of course with constant feedback from the players.

Just doing straight-up Open tournaments doesn't work for all the players since just the elite will normally win majority of the purse. I divided the tournament for high-level pro and low-level pro with a ranking system that determines when the low-levels can participate in the high-level events and get a chance to earn higher amounts.

Not an easy chore for the administration if the admin group can't work as one. One for all and all for one.

If you have questions ask away. I'll answer them based on how we do it here so contesting my answers won't do any good. If it doesn't look right to you, just modify to your liking.

Johnnyt
08-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Those are the reasons why we formed the BMPAP. Players though don't have the administrative knowledge, industry connections nor the interest and time to run such so we non-players run it. Of course with constant feedback from the players.

Just doing straight-up Open tournaments doesn't work for all the players since just the elite will normally win majority of the purse. I divided the tournament for high-level pro and low-level pro with a ranking system that determines when the low-levels can participate in the high-level events and get a chance to earn higher amounts.

Not an easy chore for the administration if the admin group can't work as one. One for all and all for one.

If you have questions ask away. I'll answer them based on how we do it here so contesting my answers won't do any good. If it doesn't look right to you, just modify to your liking.

About how many small tours were there before the BMPAP took over the players? Or was it just a bunch of promoters and poolrooms putting on tournaments? Johnnyt

bandido
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
About how many small tours were there before the BMPAP took over the players? Or was it just a bunch of promoters and poolrooms putting on tournaments? Johnnyt
Just a bunch of promoters and poolrooms. Until a Promoter started using the National Organization, who had power due to its affiliation with international organizations, to control the tournament scene and players. That would have been alright but when they started failing to pay players promised allowances to play in their production then we knew that this promoter's action will be a one-way street.

hemicudas
08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
You tellum, Johnny. The only exception I see is the great work the TAR guys are doing.

bandido
08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
You tellum, Johnny. The only exception I see is the great work the TAR guys are doing.
I agree 110%. I even wanted them over to do a joint project but my idea about that project is just too early for the BMPAP org. Still a lot of other things to do ahead of live webstreaming is what I gathered from the meetings. Although not directly said.

Johnnyt
08-12-2008, 02:52 AM

For me TAR has been a Godsend. Not being able to play anymore, it has given me many, many hours of enjoyment from my PC or laptop. But even for pool players and fans that can get around, they can't be everywhere the big action is.

I hope some day that TAR becomes the OTB (Off Track Betting for you non-New Yorkers) of pool for betters and sweaters. It couldn't happen to two nicer guys. GO TAR. Johnnyt

Colin Colenso
08-12-2008, 05:48 AM
I agree that the TAR guys are doing some things that could lead to very good developments in the game.

Audiences want to see the big names play one on one in real contests that have some build up. Much like in the old days of billiards in the eras of Walter Lindrum and Willie Hoppe. Different games but same concepts and the names were national figures back then.

It's similar to what we see with boxing, where we know X will fight Y at such a time and date. You can promote that well, whereas, you don't know what the matchups will be in a tournament.

I like the idea of city, regional and state, national and World titles in Challenge type matches, with players earning their way up the ladder. Title holders have to accept certain challengers within certain times of forfeit their belt / title.

Colin

Johnnyt
08-12-2008, 08:01 AM
I agree that the TAR guys are doing some things that could lead to very good developments in the game.

Audiences want to see the big names play one on one in real contests that have some build up. Much like in the old days of billiards in the eras of Walter Lindrum and Willie Hoppe. Different games but same concepts and the names were national figures back then.

It's similar to what we see with boxing, where we know X will fight Y at such a time and date. You can promote that well, whereas, you don't know what the matchups will be in a tournament.

I like the idea of city, regional and state, national and World titles in Challenge type matches, with players earning their way up the ladder. Title holders have to accept certain challengers within certain times of forfeit their belt / title.

Colin

I agree Colin, that is the way it was years ago when Mosconi and other big names matched up in a big major hotel or sports arena. There were hundreds of people there every day of the match. There was coverage of it in all the major newspapers leading up to the match. Results and write-ups as soon as it was over. Hell, I don't know this for a fact but I bet there was even some that had radio coverage. Johnnyt