PDA

View Full Version : To Schon or Not to Schon that is my question

StormHotRod300
03-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Ok, i am stuck in a bind here lol

Had a Schon LTD for 4 yrs, but didnt really use the cue and didnt know really how to play either lol. Well when i started back up last April i began practicing and slowly learning and becomming better. Well i ended up getting rid of the Schon when i bought a Meucci Original. ( still kicking myself)

Now i realize i would probably be better off with a cue that has a stiffer hit, and not as much shaft flex, and doesnt squirt the ball all over. So i began searching for New Cue's.

I of course would like to be able to drop 1000$ and get a nice LTD series. But i basically have a limit of about 500$.

And i have found a couple places that have Schons for under 500$

I also have been looking at the Pechauer cues, and found a couple i like for under 500$.

One of the pool halls i frequent, also has a couple Espiritu cues. And they are also under 500$

Now i have played with a Pechauer a friend let me use for a day, and liked the way it played. So that is obviously one option.

Now the Espiritu cues, i have never played with. So if anyone has any info on how they might compare to a Schon or Pechauer thats always helpful.

sjm
03-06-2005, 10:07 PM
To Schon or not to Schon? Well, had Hamlet been a pool player.....

Of Schon, Pechauser and Espiritu, I'd say go with Schon. Buy it for cash, though, not for credit. After all, as Polonius said to Hamlet, "neither a borrower nor a lender be."

Jack Flanagan
03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
IMHO,,,Pechauer,,,I have two of them and am not about to part with them,,,my buddy has a Schon,,,I have shot with it on occasion & it just didn't measure up,,,only shot with one Espiritu,,,not enough to tell what it would really do,,,the really weird thing is I have a 5280 that came apart (unglued) on me and it is my go to stick now since I rebuilt it,,,super smooth and very predictable........jflan

StormHotRod300
03-06-2005, 11:34 PM
SJM,

now that was funny lmao :)

well i went back and took down some prices of the Schons i would be able to afford lol. Now obviously since a Schon is a Schon and they all play the same, theres no point in me dropping 1000$ again when the Schon for 450$ does the same thing.

And basically this means i am set on buying a Schon again.

Now the Pechauer i shot with, is the one with Reversed Veneers that come from the joint, and it was a Sneeky Pete, instead of the Steel Joint. And it played very nice. Of course a friend of mine has that cue now, so i dont want the same one lol.

But i am going to talk to the owner of the pool hall i frequent and see what his prices are for Schons and then go from there.

Now i have the 5280 SP and really like it, but where the ferrule meets the shaft, its kinda off... and that bothers me when i use that cue. But for $100 its a good cue to break with and to take into bars to shoot pool with.

Walt in VA
03-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Good luck with your Schon - I picked up the game again in the early 90's and got my first Schon, an older Runde-era R-14 with a lot of big ivory windows and sharp veneered points. Finally thought it was too nice to carry around so it became a "house cue" and I picked up an old STL-11 for traveling, then an STL-7 with a 12.5 mm shaft, which is now my main playing cue. Couldn't bear to part with any of them - still got all 3 and love 'em all. Don't think you can go wrong with a Schon; a buddy has a Pechauer and I've hit a few balls with it, but I'm just conditioned to the Schon feel and couldn't switch. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide, and keep hitting 'em straight.

Walt in Va

StormHotRod300
03-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Walt, now my only problem is, if i order it in the beginning of April, it will probably show up right before the big 9ball tournament that is held at the pool hall i frequent lol, so of course i will want to use it lol.

Yea i know what you mean about having too nice of a cue to carry around lol.

Thats why i am kinda leaning towards the plain STL 1 Schon. It looks like any plain jain birdseye cue, except for the Schon letters.

mjantti
03-07-2005, 02:25 AM
Hey StormHotRod300, check your PM's.

jjinfla
03-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Here's what you can do:
When you practice, everytime you run a rack you put a buck in a jar.
After you have the ability to run 600-700 racks then you will deserve a Shon. Until then any cue will sufice. Unless you are just trying to impress your friends.

Jake

Koop
03-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks, Walt, now my only problem is, if i order it in the beginning of April, it will probably show up right before the big 9ball tournament that is held at the pool hall i frequent lol, so of course i will want to use it lol.

Yea i know what you mean about having too nice of a cue to carry around lol.

Thats why i am kinda leaning towards the plain STL 1 Schon. It looks like any plain jain birdseye cue, except for the Schon letters.

Erik Lee who posts here frequently sells Schon cues and I'm sure would give you a great deal. His prices are excellent. http://www.erikleecues.com/schonstl.htm

Dave

RussellK
03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
My name is Russell Killgo. I recently joined the UPA. I have played with the same Schon cue for almost 11 years. I absolutely love it. I have hit with just about every other cue out there. I have found very few that measure up to the hit of a schon. That being said, get whatever feels good to you. It doesn't matter how much a cue costs. I paid $750 for my cue. But before that, I played witha $100 Mali. I have seen people that can barely hold a cue correctly playing with a $5000 stick and people that can shoot the lights out playing off the wall. My advice is to try out as many different cues as possible before purchasing one. Find a cue that you like the way it hits. Then find a style of that cue that you like what it looks like. Too many times people buy cues only for looks. That's great if you are going to frame them. But be realistic if you get a great looking stick that you can't play with... in the long run, that cue will cost you lot more than what you paid for it.

Russell
age 29

StormHotRod300
03-07-2005, 10:21 PM
OK, just to let everyone know, i have made up my mind to BUY a SCHON lol,

Although i am considering a Pechauer, I have heard from many people, that it plays just as well as a Schon but has a softer hit. But as of now, its Schon all the way.

I know several guys, who have had Schons for years and its the only cue they will use.

And as for looks, of course i am going to buy something i like, doesnt hafta be a 1500$ Schon, just one i like. Like Russel said, i have seen who knows how many people buy a Cue because it was cool looking or it was Pink lol, or Green. Or Because everyone else in the world has one lol.

Lanny
03-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Erik Lee who posts here frequently sells Schon cues and I'm sure would give you a great deal. His prices are excellent.

Dave

I'll vouch for that!!!Hella' nice guy too.

Lanny

JimS
03-08-2005, 05:31 AM
I know the Schon makes a good cue but why not spend that money on a custom cue from a cuemaker in your area that can be make to your specs. Maybe you can't afford all the fancy stuff but you could have it with the exact size butt and tip size you like. The wrap you want etc.

Lanny
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
I chose a Schon,over a custom,because I was familiar with and liked the feel,plus there aren't many cuemakers around these parts.I doubt I could have had a plain jane custom made for what I paid for my STL3.

Lanny

Egg McDogit
03-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I used to have a schon...it hit like garbage. A couple
of my friends have schons too...and I tried their schons and
2 of them hit great (1 a low end, 1 a high end) and the other
hit good, but not quite as solid as the others. Did I just
get a dud? Or have other people noticed big variations in how
schons hit?

peace
-Egg

sdtonyc
03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I used to have a schon...it hit like garbage. A couple
of my friends have schons too...and I tried their schons and
2 of them hit great (1 a low end, 1 a high end) and the other
hit good, but not quite as solid as the others. Did I just
get a dud? Or have other people noticed big variations in how
schons hit?

peace
-Egg

Perhaps the shaft of your Schon didn't thread snug at the joint?
I have a Schon with two shafts: one threads on snug; the other threads on a little loose and has a smaller insert so there's a little more internal space where the insert meets the joint collar. Needless to say, the shaft that threads on snug has a more solid hit.
I also have an older Schon (the ivory is starting to show its age), and I tried hitting with someone else's newer Schon (same model though). The two hit quite differently. Both hit solid, but mine had a mellow hit; the other had a stiff hit. Seems to me that there is variation even between same model Schons.

sdtonyc

Egg McDogit
03-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know how tight the threads and insert were...I wouldn't
really even know how to tell. I didn't notice anything
abnormal with them. I was definitely let down by how bad it
hit. I've given up on cues now. I don't really care what
I play with anymore...my current cue doesn't hit real good
but I decided I'm just going to keep it....forget about the
cue...and just play.

Jedi V Man
03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I have a Pechaur and an older Runde-era Schon.

I like both, although they are 2 totally diferent animals.

The Pechaur has a wood to wood joint and has a very hard "tink" hit to it. My Schon has a very soft hit and moves the rock around much easier for my tastes. With a Schon, a little bit of stroke goes a long long ways, whereas with the Pechaur I have to use a little more force to get the rock moving around.

Looks wise, I like both of them.

I just swaped out the Irish linen wrap on the Schon for a leather wrap, it plays even better for me now. I can hold it looser and the hit is even softer now, as if that was ever possible...

Me, I'm a Schon guy, but you gotta play with what ever works the best for you.....

Hal
03-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm an Espiritu man (with a 314)