PDA

View Full Version : Whose Better Detroit/chicago???

upncomingchamp
08-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Me and my friend had a argument the other day of which city had better players detroit or chicago. im from detroit and we got some strong players,ronnie wiseman,chohan been hanging around,john binion, adam smith. Who can even play good out of chicago or do you guys know any other good pool playing cities like new york, LA......

Black-Balled
08-11-2008, 08:17 AM
There is a dude that has never been beat in my basement.

upncomingchamp
08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
lol ok... thats cool i guess

Voodoo Daddy
08-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Me and my friend had a argument the other day of which city had better players detroit or chicago. im from detroit and we got some strong players,ronnie wiseman,chohan been hanging around,john binion, adam smith. Who can even play good out of chicago or do you guys know any other good pool playing cities like new york, LA......

Its called geographic biased...NYC had a lock some yrs back with Ginky, Tony, Frankie and a few other. Tampa/Orlando Florida in past yrs had Buddy, Nick, Sigel, Ray Martin, Howard Vickory and C.M. Lee. Recently the Springhill area had Corey, Earl, Robb Saez, Rodney Morris and some guy named Tony Crosby, lol.

Chicago is tough but Detroit may have the nutz as far as your question is concerned.

macneilb
08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
detroit had cornbread, so i gotta say detroit :wink:

Perk
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
detroit had cornbread, so i gotta say detroit :wink:

and Lansing has "Chicken".

Poolplaya9
08-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Right now I would have to say the Houston area is way up there with Rodney Morris, Jeremy Jones, Charlie Bryant, etc.

BWTadpole
08-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Man, Angeles City gives all other cities the 7!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efren_Reyes

Dustin_J
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM

Man, George thrashed me good a few times before I finally realized how good he played, and I probably don't even know for sure now. Thankfully I was a broke student at the time and could only afford to play really cheap sets.

iba7467
08-11-2008, 12:58 PM

If we're playing banks I might have to go with Chicago in a round robin format. Chohan may have the singular advantage, but Chicago is stacked. Any game where banking or kicking is not the only way to score leans towards Detroit.

Poolplaya9
08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
It isn't a comparison with Chicago, but for what it's worth I did ask Tony Chohan if he thought the quality of players was better in Detroit, or in the northern California/Sacramento area where he is from. He didn't hesitate and said California for sure and it didn't seem to be real close judging by the way he answered.

upncomingchamp
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I am sure that there is alot of good players in california but other than dave hemmah and kim davenport who even plays good out in cali

westcoast
08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
many of the top guys swing through the LA area for $ matches. I've seen or heard of Parica, Reyes, and Immonen coming through here. Eberle and Dominguez also live here. Herndon plays at House of Billiards as well. As far as great bar table players on the west side, Joe Pachianelli is one of the best around. He was better 10-15 years ago though. In fact, Joe was fabulous at all games and all table sizes back then.

westcoast
08-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Further west in Michigan, Battle Creek has some very solid players. The Billiard Cafe had some very strong players in their tournaments. I use to live in Battle Creek eight years ago. The guy that ran the Billiard Cafe, Jayme Goodwin use to play in numerous pro tours

upncomingchamp
08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
not to mention we also have jimmy mataya in michigan another great player jayme goodwin was also great(still plays good) i also have to put a guy named jason kirkwood out there prolly one of the best bar box players out there but hes good at all games, lol o yea and prolly the best of all when hes on his game ritchie richeson

westcoast
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
not to mention we also have jimmy mataya in michigan another great player jayme goodwin was also great(still plays good) i also have to put a guy named jason kirkwood out there prolly one of the best bar box players out there but hes good at all games, lol o yea and prolly the best of all when hes on his game ritchie richeson

ever play at "The Garage" in Jackson, Michigan? They have some pretty solid players as well. I think Michigan has some pretty solid players overall because of

1. People in Michigan like to go to bars

2. There isn't much else to do except hunting and boating

3. It is a blue collar state- usually leads to good pool playing

dogginda9
08-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Detroit. Possible exception of bank pool players. IMO

Craig Fales
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Are you talking about chicken george??

westcoast
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM

man, that dude must be famous. He plays a lot (or did five years ago when I lived there) at the Garage in Jackson. He also played in a tournament at "The Eight Ball" in Ann Arbor and cleaned up on all sorts of second rate players (including me!)

Perk
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM

Yea..figured most would catch the reference...just thought cornbred and chicken sounded good.. :)

(not stating those two are remotely similiar in caliber)

upncomingchamp
08-11-2008, 09:51 PM
yea i play at the garage all the time well actually it changed hands its called game on or something like that now...they got some good bar box players there. I dont kno if he was talkin about chicken george or super chicken the old one pocket player

half fast bankr
08-11-2008, 10:57 PM
yeah, Chi-Town is probably the weakest. You ladies should fill your wallets and drop on by some time... ;)

poolandpokerman
08-12-2008, 06:02 AM
I think the Garage changed it's name to Game ON, or something else, don't forget Richie Richardson, he has been around Detroit lately, our players come and go in Detroit, Ronnie has been gone all year and the action has been down, we do get some road players now and then but not like it was when Ronnie was in town.

upncomingchamp
08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
yea the action is not the same for sure. hall of fame in detroit area used to be the best action spot in michigan but the new owners ran ronnie out and now making the pool hall into more of a bar... i even got kicked out because im only 20 years old the other day and i been goin there sinse i was 16

Bugz
08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
yeah, Chi-Town is probably the weakest. You ladies should fill your wallets and drop on by some time... ;)

No doubt, from D players (like me) to Shortstops and Pros the world should give us the 5 and the breaks.

upncomingchamp
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
i hope chicago aint filled with players like this guy asking for weight