PDA

View Full Version : sickening

wahcheck
08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I know it's a dead horse, but when I looked at the PGA payouts today, I was sickened when I thought of its comparison to pool payouts.....

1st..... $1,350,000
2nd and 3rd tie...... $ 660,000 each
4th and 5th tie...... $ 330,000 each

I think even the 20th thru 30th places make more than the $20,000 Corey just won in the "Million Dollar Shootout"......I really hope that tournament grows over the years to even half of what golf's payouts are.....

Again, please excuse the rant over beating a dead horse...

Black-Balled
08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Boooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg.

wahcheck
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Boooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg.
so is your response...

jimmy-leggs
08-11-2008, 10:36 AM
There is NO comparison between the popularity of the 2 sports.

BRKNRUN
08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
I know it's a dead horse, but when I looked at the PGA payouts today, I was sickened when I thought of its comparison to pool payouts.....

1st..... $1,350,000

I think even the 20th thru 30th places make more than the $20,000 Corey just won in the "Million Dollar Shootout"......I really hope that tournament grows over the years to even half of what golf's payouts are.....

Just one (the same dead horse) question....

How many were in the stands watching on TV compaired to how many were in the gallery and watching on TV?

CocoboloCowboy
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM

1st..... $1,350,000

Think it is an unfair comparison to compare Pro Golf with Pro Pool. As I have covered many Pro Golf tournaments when working in the NEWS Business i will point out a few thing I remember. This is based upon LPGA, PGA, and Senior PGA EVENTS.

1. Golf attracts sponsors pool does not like Buick, Cadillac Divisions of GM, Rolex, Stock Broker Houses, investment House, etc.

2. You will pay $25.00/Day + to be in the Gallery at a Pro Golf Tournament to be allowed to follow around you favorite Golfer.

3. Many ON THE PGA, LPGA, and Sr. PGA Tour have multi million dollar endorsement contacts, (like Tiger Woods)

4. The Average cost to play a Round of Golf in the U.S.A. is more than 8 Hours of Pool in the most expensive Pool Room in Arizona.

5. Pro Golfers have to got to PGA School, to get their Tour CARD, before being allowed to Play in a PGA, Sr. PGA, or LPGA Event. Antics like tose of Earl Strickland would not be tolerated in the PGA.

6. Golf Tournaments are sponsor by Multi Million Dollar Companies like John Deere etc.

7. Next time there is a Pro Golf Event on a TV Major Network, I suggest watching Pro golf to see who is sponsoring the event, and who are running ads to sell something to the TV audence.

BRKNRUN
08-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Think it is an unfair comparison to compare Pro Golf with Pro Pool. As I have covered many Pro Golf tournaments when working in the NEWS Business i will point out a few thing I remember. This is based upon LPGA, PGA, and Senior PGA EVENTS.

1. Golf attracts sponsors pool does not like Buick, Cadillac Divisions of GM, Rolex, Stock Broker Houses, investment House, etc.

2. You will pay $25.00/Day + to be in the Gallery at a Pro Golf Tournament to be allowed to follow around you favorite Golfer.

3. Many ON THE PGA, LPGA, and Sr. PGA Tour have multi million dollar endorsement contacts, (like Tiger Woods)

4. The Average cost to play a Round of Golf in the U.S.A. is more than 8 Hours of Pool in the most expensive Pool Room in Arizona.
5. Pro Golfers have to got to PGA School, to get their Tour CARD, before being allowed to Play in a PGA, Sr. PGA, or LPGA Event. Antics like tose of Earl Strickland would not be tolerated in the PGA.

6. Golf Tournaments are sponsor by Multi Million Dollar Companies like John Deere etc.

7. Next time there is a Pro Golf Event on a TV Major Network, I suggest watching Pro golf to see who is sponsoring the event, and who are running ads to sell something to the TV audence.

#3 #4 & #5 is not true...

#3 - I would not say "many"...not multi million $$ anyway.

#4 - I can play a round of golf for $30 in Arizona.. @ 8 x $5.00 hour table time = $40

#5 - You can get on through a sponsor exemption... Tiger never had to go to PGA Q School... Neither did Phil, Ernie, Adam, etc. etc. Anyone can also enter and win the US Open and earn a instant Tour Card....(if you are good enough)

Black-Balled
08-11-2008, 11:04 AM
so is your response...
Two chez!

Can we skip all the middle parts and conclude that nobody cares about pool except a small %of those who play it?.

Therefore...
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

I have covered many Pro Golf tournaments when working in the NEWS Business
Holy #$&(^!!!!!!!!! I refuse to believe you worked for anything that involved language skills.

CocoboloCowboy
08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Holy #$&(^!!!!!!!!! I refuse to believe you worked for anything that involved language skills.

Believe it that is what EDITORS are for. I only need to mostly caption photo correctly. Hell i was not no "J" School Grad, but a GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER.:wink:

upncomingchamp
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
umm actually black-balled just for your information its not really a small percentage that play the game of pool considering more people play the game than any other game......

DaveK
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
umm actually black-balled just for your information its not really a small percentage that play the game of pool considering more people play the game than any other game......

And of all those people who 'play pool' only a very small percentage can name the top pros, imo. This place and it's members are anomolies in the game, the norm is folks who play but do not care or know about the professional game.

Dave

Dawgie
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Just one (the same dead horse) question....

How many were in the stands watching on TV compaired to how many were in the gallery and watching on TV?

Not sure what you're saying. Could you explain a liitle further please.:confused:

BRKNRUN
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Not sure what you're saying. Could you explain a liitle further please.:confused:

Sure,

Million $$ Challange

Number of Spectators in stands = ???????
Number of Spectators Watching on TV = ???????

PGA Event

Number of Spectators in stands = ???????
Number of Spectators Watching on TV = ???????

I don't have the exact numbers, but my guess is that the PGA event had 100xs more

Whatever those numbers are converts at some percentage into additional prize fund money.

Say for example if the pool event drew 5000 spectators (I doubt they drew that many over the course of the event) The PGA event drew 500,000.... (The Phoenix open draws 250k in spectators over 4 days...Its probably a conservative guess that they get at least 250k in TV viewers)

That generates quite a bit of extra revenue that can be payed out in prize funds... (That does not even count sponsorship money invested)