PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Stuckart - A true champion

AzHousePro
08-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Wanted to take a minute and acknowledge one of our own who had a pretty good weekend.

Jerry Stuckart flew in from his summer in Wisconsin to play in the Az BCA State Championship over the weekend. Jerry joked before the event with me that he hoped the smaller than anticipated turnout would not put an * next to his name after he won the open division.

Well, Jerry went on to win the open division with some outstanding play for 2 days.

I consider Jerry a friend and friends razz their friends. So I razzed Jerry for a while about putting an * next to his name.

Of particular interest though was a match that Jerry's team was in during the open teams division. Jerry's team was favored to do well in the event and they were trailing late in a winners side match. Every game they could win was important and Jerry was left with a jump shot on his last ball while his opponent was already on the 8. Jerry tried the jump but miscues and hit the intervening 8-ball first.

With the pressure of the match on his opponent, it did not register that Jerry had fouled and he was sizing up a tough little cut on the 8-ball. To no one's surprise, Jerry quickly waved his opponent off the shot and reminded him that he had ball-in-hand.

Jerry's team went on to lose that match, but in my opinion Jerry's act was that of a true champion.

So Jerry, all friendly razzing aside. There should never be an * next to your name and even when there is a new winner of the event next year, I will always consider you a champion.

Mike

stuckart
08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Thank you Mike!

It was the right thing to do and I wouldn't go against my character to win a game of pool.

Jerry Stuckart <-- (no Asterick)

BigCat
08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Wanted to take a minute and acknowledge one of our own who had a pretty good weekend.

Jerry Stuckart flew in from his summer in Wisconsin to play in the Az BCA State Championship over the weekend. Jerry joked before the event with me that he hoped the smaller than anticipated turnout would not put an * next to his name after he won the open division.

Well, Jerry went on to win the open division with some outstanding play for 2 days.

I consider Jerry a friend and friends razz their friends. So I razzed Jerry for a while about putting an * next to his name.

Of particular interest though was a match that Jerry's team was in during the open teams division. Jerry's team was favored to do well in the event and they were trailing late in a winners side match. Every game they could win was important and Jerry was left with a jump shot on his last ball while his opponent was already on the 8. Jerry tried the jump but miscues and hit the intervening 8-ball first.

With the pressure of the match on his opponent, it did not register that Jerry had fouled and he was sizing up a tough little cut on the 8-ball. To no one's surprise, Jerry quickly waved his opponent off the shot and reminded him that he had ball-in-hand.

Jerry's team went on to lose that match, but in my opinion Jerry's act was that of a true champion.

So Jerry, all friendly razzing aside. There should never be an * next to your name and even when there is a new winner of the event next year, I will always consider you a champion.

Mike

Congratulations, Jerry.

It sounds like you played very well. And I applaud you for your integrity during the match described by Mike H. above.

Ray

BVal
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you Mike!

It was the right thing to do and I wouldn't go against my character to win a game of pool.

Congratulations Jerry. Great Job!

BVal

Jimmy M.
08-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Thank you Mike!

I think I displayed my opinion on the character of people who would do the opposite this weekend ... albeit in a much more colorful manner than I probably should have. ;)

I was playing in a tournament once, I believe it was the Hubler Cup (this is obviously years ago), and I was stuck real bad in the match. Like 6 to 1 or something, and the guy had an easy out to go up 7 to 1. He lined up to shoot at the wrong ball, so I jumped up, stopped him, and informed him that he was about to shoot the wrong ball. He gave me kind of a funny look (I assumed it meant he probably wouldn't have done the same), then shot the right ball and ran out to go up 7-1. I don't know if it was guilt, karma, or if it would have happened regardless of that incident, but I ended up coming back and winning the set (race to 9). The guy didn't seem even in the least bit upset over losing that match, and seemed to appreciate my honesty every time I ran into him after that for the duration of the tournament, even stopping by to watch a couple of my matches.

While it was nice that he appreciated my gesture, I do remember thinking it was too bad that it seemed like such a big deal to this guy because that's the way it SHOULD be.

I can't say that I've never done it because I can't quite remember what I may, or may not, have done when I was a young teenager, but I can honestly say that I can't recall, EVER, knowingly allowing my opponent to foul only to jump up and call it on them afterward.

The lack of integrity that many players show when playing this game is very unfortunate. Hell, there was just a poll in this forum not too long ago asking what people would do in a situation like this, and an embarrassingly high number of people said they'd knowingly let their opponent foul, then call it on them! I can't completely condemn those people, however, because that line of thinking is so ingrained into the pool subculture that people think it's ok. That is in complete contrast to a game like golf where integrity is everything, and the concept of integrity is routinely taught to golfers from the moment they pick up a club.

It's always nice to see that there are lots of pool players who do feel that integrity means something.

Congratulations on your win. :)

BRKNRUN
08-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Mike

If you were really going to razz him......you would have asked what the heck he was doing leaving himself a jump shot on the 8-ball in the first place......;)

Also a detail you left out was that we ended up losing that set 13/11....and Jerry was already in the process of running out what would have been the 12/12 game that would have put us in the hot seat.

We will leave out the info on who dogged the 11/12 game to get it to 12/12.....:eek: :eek:

Jerry should have recieved the sportsmanship award this year...(if there had been one) :smile:

Snookerd
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I have always taken the innitiative to tell the opponent , if I make a foul, or if they are lining up on the wrong ball... One time in one of my first years playing league I did such a thing, I was brought onto a veteran team that had been together for quite a few years, A Shot came up after "my teamate " was razzin up the other team, after all was done my opponent was down to take the shot, aiming at one of my last balls, I told him that he was aiming at my ball... my "teamate" threw his pool stick and case to the ground all the time yelling what a dumb *** ****** ****** I was for doing just this... We end up losing the match... but the rest of the team has held me in HIGHEST respect for this from that point on. Coming from Veteran pool players, it has been worth it ever since to do the right thing. To me it's still a game.. as much as I want to win... I always feel better within myself if I do the right in this circumstance. I want to be the BEST at the GAME I play. I'm no cheat. So in fewer words Gratz to your"self" Stuckart... for remembering to play the game.

stuckart
08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
If you were really going to razz him......you would have asked what the heck he was doing leaving himself a jump shot on the 8-ball in the first place......;)

Also a detail you left out was that we ended up losing that set 13/11....and Jerry was already in the process of running out what would have been the 12/12 game that would have put us in the hot seat.

We will leave out the info on who dogged the 11/12 game to get it to 12/12.....:eek: :eek:

Jerry should have recieved the sportsmanship award this year...(if there had been one) :smile:

I was a little amped up still from winning the open that morning and then having us dominate 3 straight teams to get to that match. And if we are talking details I was straight in on the 12 ball, and only had to get over the full 8 ball from 8 inches away.

Fast Lenny
08-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Congrats Jerry!Sounds like you played well,let us know when you have a challenger so we can get a live stream set up. :wink:

stuckart
08-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Congrats Jerry!Sounds like you played well,let us know when you have a challenger so we can get a live stream set up. :wink:

I had some talks with one of the AZB moderators, Chucklez, about setting something up in the Fall. I only flew in for the tournament and a few other things before heading back to enjoy the Wisconsin Summer. I'll let you know with some advanced notice if we set something up.

Wish you could have been there to stream this event! My family all lives out of state and it was have been cool for them to be able to watch.

Metro tonight or tomorrow?

Fast Lenny
08-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I had some talks with one of the AZB moderators, Chucklez, about setting something up in the Fall. I only flew in for the tournament and a few other things before heading back to enjoy the Wisconsin Summer. I'll let you know with some advanced notice if we set something up.

Wish you could have been there to stream this event! My family all lives out of state and it was have been cool for them to be able to watch.

Metro tonight or tomorrow?
I will be at Kolbys tomorrow trying to cash in the finals 3 in a row,lol. :smile:

Rick S.
08-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Congrats Jerry!

You did the right thing.....

stuckart
08-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Congrats Jerry!

You did the right thing.....

Thanks Rick!

I definitely want to get a couple photo's from you. I saw some of the first photo's you took, but didn't get a chance to see that final set.

As always, the action photo's of all the players looked awesome!

Koop
08-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Classy move Jerry. If more players played this way pool would come a long way, IMO.

Regards,
Koop

Rick S.
08-12-2008, 01:39 PM
http://www.pbase.com/rixx/image/101572846.jpg

He looks like a happy fellow.....and should be!!

BigCat
08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.pbase.com/rixx/image/101572846.jpg

He looks like a happy fellow.....and should be!!

That's what you look like!!!!

Man, I had this whole other image in my head as to what you looked like. It's funny how we contrive images in our head of what people look like whom we've never met.

I was WAY off. I thought you were like 50 or 60! LOL!!!! :D :D :D

I'm just teasin' you. But I really didn't know that's what you looked like. Congrats, again. BTW, with what kind of cue do you shoot?

Ray

stuckart
08-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Yep that's me with my shining forehead, just minutes after tasting sweet victory in the finals.

Right now I'm shooting with a Meucci w/ Mori Medium, A Palmer Jump and a Scorpion Break Cue.